Scarf-Along for Homeless Veterans

BPitard

Anyone interested in a Scarf-Along for Homeless Veterans?

I have never hosted a Scarf Along before but it could be fun. My goal is to get as many people making scarves as possible, and have them be donated either to my charity (www.hugs4heroes.com) or to your local Homeless Veterans Shelter.

Scarves should be no less than 7" wide and 60" long. Use manly colors (no pinks or pastels, go light on lighter colors and white). You can knit or crochet your scarf and use any pattern or stitch you like.

Start by sharing with us - tell us what your using to make your scarf. Share your pattern if you like (only if its available online for free - don't give out patterns that we should be paying for - designers hate that LOL!).

Check in every few days and let us know how your scarf is progressing. Would you make this pattern again? Is the yarn soft?

At the bottom of this post I will keep track of who is making scarves, and how many are sent.

PLEASE WRITE CROCHETVILLE SCARF-ALONG ON THE PACKAGE WHEN YOU SEND IT SO I WILL KNOW TO UPDATE THIS POST Thank you!

When your scarf is done, post a picture if you want. Then send it to:

Hugs 4 Heroes

Crochetville Scarf-Along

PO Box 424

Grafton, MA 01519

If you didn't take a picture, don't worry - I will take a picture of each scarf and post it on the blog.

For this first "official scarf along", I will post a deadline of February 28, 2010. If you don't make the deadline, don't worry - I will be collecting scarves for as long as its cold out. Also, I will be collecting them year-round so there really is no real deadline.

Villagers Participating in this Scarf Along:

"BPitard" Beth P - Worcester, MA

"Smith" - West of Seattle

"Cris" - Illinios

"Kenfreck" - Seabrook, NH

"ScoobyDoo0811" - Nebraska

"Mandilynn" - Kansas

"Countrymom1" - Daingerfield, TX

I stopped by the local yarn shop yesterday and variegated was on sale. I bought a few skeins for your project.

I'm in on this one :)

I have completed 1 scarf but I haven't mailed it yet. It is made from ILTY Tweed Color. I find it to be very soft. What I did was use a DC stitch with a filet (can I call it this?) line up each side. So its 3dc, sk, 3dc, sk, 5 dc, sk, 3dc, sk, 3dc...ch3 turn.

It makes a nice loose pattern that really plays well with the yarn, making it more soft that it started. The skipped stitches actually give me a lot more mileage out of 1 skein. I finished it in about 3 hours.

-cris

OH - You cannot get the ILTY where you are? If you want, I can go to Hobby Lobby and grab a few for you and include it in the box. Do you want the tweed (one of my personal favs too!) or would you like some other colors as well?

We don't have hobby lobby in Massachusetts but I really have plenty of yarn right now. Maybe in the future I will have you get me some for some Christmas projects I have planned for my family but right now I really need to do some "stash busting" lol! :) I keep my yarn in my bedroom and I noticed this morning that it really is out of control LOL! Maybe what I need is a stash-buster afghan project to do between scarves... hmmm... i'm going to go check the patterns forum LOL!

ME ME ME, count me in too please :lol:D!!!! I am almost finished with another scarf (about 45 " done). For this one I am using HL's ILTY in Navajo Ombre. I normally don't buy or use ILTY yarn as I don't like it :yuck:yuck:yuck, but I got it for a $1 on the clearance rack :lol. I am not using a pattern, just a very basic DC; size I :chook, chained 25 then DC in each chain across throughout.

I am also working on another scarf which I am not using a pattern for. It is made from basic 6 " granny squares/random colors from my scrap balls of :yarn. So far, it has a brown, red, off white and gold square in it. It is about 40% done and then I will put a border around it. Maybe I can get both of them done today :xfin.

:yay:cheer:clap Congrats on getting your PO Box Beth. I will let you know when I am ready to mail out again!!!! :hug

Yeah! Thanks for playing with us again Scooby! Do you know you were the first to send me a scarf for this charity? :) I normally do a very basic stitch too and they still look just as great as a fancy stitched scarf :) Are you sending the granny square one too? IF not, could you post a picture? I would love to see!

My address is here, in my signature. When your ready you don't need to message me - just send it on over :)

Yeah! Thanks for playing with us again Scooby! Do you know you were the first to send me a scarf for this charity? :) I normally do a very basic stitch too and they still look just as great as a fancy stitched scarf :) Are you sending the granny square one too? IF not, could you post a picture? I would love to see!

My address is here, in my signature. When your ready you don't need to message me - just send it on over :)

YW!!!! :lol I like to come and play especially when it involves :crocheting and you guys are fun to have play dates with ;). Wow, I didn't know that I was the first one to send you a scarf:yay. Yes I am sending the granny scarf too. I am just making the squares and using the join as you go method to join them. They are 6" squares, so I figure it will take at least 10 to make the 60" and then the border will make it 7" wide and then a little longer than 60". I will post :photo of both scarves when they are finished.

I wish I could figure out that "join as you go" method. I have trouble following instructions... I think its ADD LOL! I can't wait to see your scarves :)

This is the method that I use and I just love it. I am not sure what ones you have tried but this one has the written instructions as well as pics to help you along. Hope this helps you.

http://www.yarncat.com/JoinAsYouCrochetGS.html

Beth is right, MandiLynn - scarves are probably one of the BEST things to make for a person new to crochet. You get the great feeling of accomplishment when you finish, the item is 100% useful as gifts or charity items (yay for this CAL), and you get UBER practice at a certain stitch.

My favorite stitch is dc or the puff stitch.

Welcome to crochet, crochetville, and this CAL :)

I would like to join in on this. I warn you I am somewhat new to crochet and very new to crochetville. Hope I can be helpful!

WELCOME!

if you can do a chain and a single crochet, 1/2 double crochet or double crochet, you CAN make a scarf. You don't have to get fancy just get stitching. :hook

I chain between 21 and 24 stitches and end up with a scarf around 7 inches wide. Just keep crocheting till it's over 60 inches and you will have it.

Thank you all for being so kind! I was intimidated a little I have to admit, but I'm so glad I finally got brave enough to speak up. I'm almost done with my first scarf, I have about 10 inches to go and should finnish tonite after the kids go to bed. I just made a basic dc scarf in hunter green with some tan stripes for accent on the ends. I'm a stay at home mom and crochet in between doing mom things (even if its just 10 min intervals) so somehow this scarf got to be more like 8 inches wide, but I decided to just run with it. Thanks again!

WELCOME!

if you can do a chain and a single crochet, 1/2 double crochet or double crochet, you CAN make a scarf. You don't have to get fancy just get stitching. :hook

I chain between 21 and 24 stitches and end up with a scarf around 7 inches wide. Just keep crocheting till it's over 60 inches and you will have it.

what size hook do you use?

Archived