This is REALLY interesting, check it out!

jimbo

want to combine crochet and knitting??? check this..

I've seen the hook before but didn't realize how nifty it works!!

Interesting eh??

Prolly be able to make one yourself just by drilling and smoothing a hole at the end of a straight bamboo hook eh? Looks pretty cinchy.

rired41,

I picked up Knit One, Purl Two from the Library today and it appears in that technique only a hook is used...it does not have a cord attached. The fabric that is crocheted from the stitches they use is beautiful. They do use special patterns. I would love to hear from someone who has actually tried a pattern from this book.

Bendy's book "Knit One, Purl Two" uses a regular crochet hook and the slip stitch to make knit-look-alike stitches. My blog shows you the technique to make real knit and purl stitches using a slightly modified crochet hook and a bit of cording.

If you check out my first two Introductory Posts, you'll see that you may have read about this technique during discussions about the Amazing Needle. You can also use interchangeable crochet hooks or locker hooks.

It appears the technique originally came from Japan. But since they don't distinguish between knitting and crochet it was just called "knitting." Since that term didn't really work for those of us who DO distinguish between the two, I adopted the name "Knooking." Knit + Hooking = Knooking. :)

VERY interesting! Thanks for the link, Jimbo!

As far as the hook goes, couldn't you use one of those afghan hooks that has the fishing-line-like extension on it? I know that those have a little stopper thingy on the end to keep the yarn from sliding off while you're doing Tunisian, but couldn't you just cut that part off and pretty much have just what she has in the video - a hook with a line on the end? Just wondering, because I HAVE one of those hooks and I NEVER do Tunisian, so I could cut the little button stopper off the end and use it for knooking, I think!

VERY interesting!

As far as the hook goes, couldn't you use one of those afghan hooks that has the fishing-line-like extension on it? I know that those have a little stopper thingy on the end to keep the yarn from sliding off while you're doing Tunisian, but couldn't you just cut that part off and pretty much have just what she has in the video - a hook with a line on the end? J

You could, except that you'd have to leave the hook and cable in that row until you worked the next one. Awkward to say the least. Many people are giving Knooking a try using Locker hooks. Other's are taping yarn or other cords to the end of their hooks. We have a Knooking group at Ravelry now, and anyone who is interested is welcome to join. :hook

Jen, is garter stitch the only stich you can do with this technique? I'm not a big fan of garter stitch.

She has other videos of how to do other stitches like purl, resulting in stockinette stitch. :)

This is good for those of us who like the knit look but haven't been able to adapt to using two needles. :yes I am heading off to check out your ravelry group photogenic. And Jimbo, thanks for the link to see this in action. It looks cool. I can knit just barely, I know how to do a few stitches but it's isn't natural for me so I only re-visit knitting on occasion to take a break from crocheting.

Aw thanks! I put that there for folks to copy if they want. I'm using it for a screen saver. I took that picture in 07 and for some reason it kind of got forgotten in "My Photos". Twas a nice surprise finding it again. Getting old and forgetful isn't such a bad thing afterall.. everything's new again!

Archived