Hving trouble with pattern

Raven2122

Question

23 answers to this question

Yes, I fixed it I was skipping to many sts in each round. Now I'm having trouble doing the motifs

I don't have the pattern but if you say what you are having a problem with maybe we could help.

Well, even though the book title is So Simple, that is a fairly complex pattern. Maybe before too long, you will come back to it and it won't seem so difficult:)

Have fun choosing your next pattern, and you know you can always ask for help and advice here. I'm not sure how long you've been crocheting, but you might enjoy reading this thread, on choosing a pattern for new crocheters http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107078

I had to rip the whole thing apart :( :( :( I used the wrong crochet hook .

I'm sorry to hear that:hug but you know, it really is a learning experience. think about everything you learned to do in working on this pattern :hook

Everybody has to rip things out, no matter how long we've been crocheting!

Your instructions are better than the book. I understand it better. I have a better idea of how to do it now.http://www.flickr.com/photos/8990574@N02/4272952853/sizes/l/

Patterns are so abbreviated and almost written in code---I often need a visual aid to understand them (why i LOVE stitch diagrams).

You photo looks good! You've got the little flowers attached to the big circle and to each other:cheer

to complete the pattern as written, you need to adjust your spacing. each flower should have two places where it joins the big circle, one join per chain space on big circle, then skip a chain space on big circle, then next flower will have two joins into big circle, etc. you have to evenly space the small flowers around the big circle in order for the next round to work out right.

also it looks like you have two joins between some of the flowers, but I think there is only supposed to be one. that won't affect the next round, I don't think, so you could leave that if you wanted.

the pattern gave a diagram for the big circle; too bad they didn't include more of the construction!:(

the yarn you are using is a pretty color:)

the big photo helps a lot:)

Ok, you are on the right track. for me, it is always helpful to refer to any visual info with the pattern. I went to Amazon to see if i could find anything on the look inside feature, and there are clear photos. look at how the little flowers are put on around the central circle.

for motif 1 the pattern says "leaving last loop of each st on hook, work 4 tr in ring, yo and pull through 5 loops on hook," that is your first petal. next you " [5ch,5trcl in ring] 3 times" so you have made 3 more petals. next you "2ch, 1 dc in 1 st sp after join of 14th round, 2ch" and that is the first spot where you join the motif to the big circle;I think you did this correctly, based on the photo. next you "5trcl in ring" that is another petal. then "2ch, 1 dc in last sp of Round 14," again you are joining into the circle. then "2ch, 5trcl in ring," that is the last petal. then "5ch, sl st in 4th ch" which means to slip stitch into the ch4 you made to start the motif. your photo looks to me like you joined the final ch5 to the big circle. instead you should have another section of the ch2, dc into big circle, ch2.

I would not worry too much about doing the joining into a specific spot on the big circle. as long as they are evenly spaced it should work out. for the first motif, just join into any chain space, put the second join into the next chain space, then you will skip a chain space on the big circle, and put the first join of the next motif into the following chain space. again, i would refer to the photo in the book to see where you are working.

so you need to redo motif 1. I hope this explanation helps some! give it a try and if it helps, I'll tackle motif 2 for you.

the avatar picture is too small to see much detail. but you do have to join the 2nd motif to the 1st motif; that is what you are doing where it says "then join in the same way to adjacent 5ch sp of previous motif after working 6th petal". it looks like you joined the motifs to the big circle but didn't join motif 2 to motif 1.

does the front of the book have additional info on the joining technique? (by the way, this is a version of what is called join-as-you-go)

1st motif

Wind Yarn around finger to form a ring.

1st motif round(RS) 4 ch, leaving last loop of each st on hook, work 4 tr in ring, yo and pull through 5 loops on hook, [5ch,5trcl in ring] 3 times, 2ch, 1 dc in 1 st sp after join of 14th round, 2ch, 5trcl in ring, 2ch, 1 dc in last sp of Round 14, 2ch, 5trcl in ring, 5ch, sl st in 4th ch. Fasten off.

2nd motif

Work as 1st motif but making 1st and 2nd joins in 3rd and 2nd sps from previous join, then join in the same way to adjacent 5ch sp of previous motif after working 6th petal. Make 17 more motifs joining to edge and previous motif in the same way as 2nd motif.

20th motif

Work as 1st motif until 3 petal have been completed, join in 1st motif between 3rd and 4th petals, then join to edge and previous motif in the same way as 2nd motif.

With RS facing, join yarn in 1st 5ch sp before join between 1st and 2nd motifs.

I have did the 1st motif after that I'm lost. (picture on avatar)

hope I'm not breaking copyright laws by posting instructions.

I fixed it. the book title is So Simple Crochet by melody griffiths I'm making the Gold Circle Vest in the book

Do you mean you fixed the problem? Just in case I did a swatch to show how it should look in the beginning rnds. The picture isn't the best but I think you can see how it should end and start those rnds..

I got off, I always forget where I left off. I fixed it.

the book title is So Simple Crochet by melody griffiths

I'm making the Gold Circle Vest in the book

A couple of things that help with keeping track: put a stitch marker in the last sttich of the round (it's very easy to go past this point in some patterns). and to keep track of where you are in the written pattern, make a copy of it and mark off the sections as you go.

I don't have a copy of So Simple Crochet, but probably somebody here does:)

That worked, Thanks

I had another question. when it says skip 1 st does it mean skip the ch st? On the top corner of the picture it doesn't look right

it looks like you are starting and ending the rnds wrong. When you end you shouldn't be doing the last dc you are doing in the same place you did the beginning chain. When it starts it says to skip the first stitch I think that means the one you did your beginning chain in. After you do your first ch you do your dc in the next dc which is the one you skipped in the beginning of the rnds.

when it says skip 1 st does it mean skip the ch st?

On the top corner of the picture it doesn't look right

If you are supposed to be making evenly spaced "spokes", then you have gotten off track on the beginnings of your rounds, because it doesn't look even there.

what is the pattern? if it's a free one online, you can link to it; otherwise just tell us the title and publication, and maybe someone will have it to refer to.

That is not a familiar abbreviation to me. I agree it could be a specific stitch that is being used in this pattern, but if so you should have seen it in the previous row. Is there an abbreviation key in the pattern or in the book/magazine/website?

it could be a typo.

What is the source of the pattern?

ETA: now that i see your 2nd post, it looks to me like where it says tdcr in row 6, that's a typo, it should just say dc. then in row 7, you are starting to make cluster stitches which they've abbreviated as trcl. look for the abbreviation key.

That worked, Thanks

I had another question.

when it says skip 1 st does it mean skip the ch st?

On the top corner of the picture it doesn't look right

post-35261-135897494829_thumb.jpg

That is not a familiar abbreviation to me. I agree it could be a specific stitch that is being used in this pattern, but if so you should have seen it in the previous row. Is there an abbreviation key in the pattern or in the book/magazine/website?

it could be a typo.

What is the source of the pattern?

ETA: now that i see your 2nd post, it looks to me like where it says tdcr in row 6, that's a typo, it should just say dc. then in row 7, you are starting to make cluster stitches which they've abbreviated as trcl. look for the abbreviation key.

I gave the wrong row, its row 6 I'm having trouble on.

Row 5: 7 ch, skip 1st st, [1 dc in next dc, 4 ch] 23 times, sl at in 3rd ch.

Row 6: 8 ch, skip 1st st, [1 dc in next tdcr, 5 ch] 23 time, sl st in 3rd ch.

Row 7: 4 ch, leaving last loop of each st on hook, work 4 tr in first 5ch sp, yo and pull through all 5 loops on hook, [5ch, 1 sc in next 5 ch sp, 5ch, 5trcl in foll 5 ch, 1 sc in 5ch sp,] 11 times, 5 ch, 1sc in next 5 ch sp, 2ch, 1 dc in 4th ch.

my first thought is triple crochet, but since you should already have one in the previous row, i am thinking it might be a special abbreviation for a special set of stitches you have done in round 7?

Archived