Dr. Quinn type shawls?

grandmalolly

Question

I recently caught a Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman on GMC, and have been watching it pretty much every day since! I noticed that a lot of the shawls on that show were crocheted, and they are so pretty! I have googled and clicked until my fingers cramped, and searched every obscure link I could find, to no avail, so I am hoping someone here, may have some ideas....does anyone watch that show, and know where I might find patterns? I went through CPC, and didn't see what I was looking for........help?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I snagged this one. It is gorgeous! I have a half-moon shawl pattern (don't remember where I got it) but it's not nearly as great as this one. Thanks.

Lolly, and anyone else who wants the Dr. Quinn shawls. I found a pattern on the lion brand site that I really like and have worked, it went really well and I think it looks sort of antique-ish ( it reminds me of DQ anyway) here it is:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60274AD.html

Lolly, and anyone else who wants the Dr. Quinn shawls. I found a pattern on the lion brand site that I really like and have worked, it went really well and I think it looks sort of antique-ish ( it reminds me of DQ anyway) here it is:

although I did find a few mistakes in the pattern and I sorta had to alter it to make the number of stitches and dc's they stated would be there, right. Also, it comes out pretty short, so I had to do 3 or so more pattern repeats.

and I also came across this free pattern whilst in Hobby Lobby today, and it REALLY reminds me of DQ:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Accessories/LW2310+Comforting+Shawl.htm

there, and I'm gonna try that pattern this weekend. Hope these help somebody

Thanks so much for the links to these free patterns. I like them both very much. I will be making them after Christmas.

I just submitted a friend request to Barry on Facebook (along with an inquiry about availability of patterns) and sent an email to Trendsetter Yarns. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

So, has anyone had any luck contacting Barry Klein thru his facebook page? I don't get a response. Ah.... to be one of the little people .... He designed and owns the rights to the DQ patterns. If you want copies of those DQ patterns he's the one to contact. That's Barry Klein who owns trendsetter.com which sells patterns and yarn. Good Luck; you're going to need it, little folks!

I have worked the 2nd pattern just today, well, part of it, and I REALLY like it. It was kind of complicated for me once I got on the second row, but then again I'm still learning and I think I was making it more difficult than it really was. But anyhow, thanks everybody! I'm glad it helped and you both like it!

I'd love to hear what you think once you start it!

I'm planning on taking pictures of the two when I get a new camera. :clap

WOW. Well, I appreciate you looking into it Amy, and everyone else. That's kind of crazy that Barry doesn't own the right to them, but it's interesting to know we could find out that much. I'm almost betting that if the show was more current, we'd be more likely to get our hands on some patterns. It was over 15 years ago that the show aired, so I guess I can see why it'd be difficult to track everyone involved down, lol.

Oh well, I'm actually pretty happy with the patterns I've been finding lately and some of them are resembling the DQ shawls, so if we keep searching, we'll probably get pretty close.

I hope it's ok to ask this here, but since some of you had been looking into getting patterns from a show, I wondered how you would go about getting in touch with someone who does wardrobe from a show/ movie? I'm needing something else and was gonna try to contact someone and get an answer. How can you best get ahold of someone without being intrusive?

thanks for any help anyone can offer

I would say try to find out the production company for the show, contact their public relations department, tell them what you need, and ask them to direct you to the right department that might be able to help with your request.

I don't know whether they'll talk to people outside the industry or not, though.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pineapple-tea-cozy

I am using this pattern as a base for a pineapple shawl seen on “Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman” I added one pattern repeat making my starting chain 163, I will also be continuing the pattern to end with one pineapple at the point.

I am using a size “P” Boye hook & Red Heart Super Saver Yarn. It is coming out nicely but I may have to switch to a smaller hook to keep the shawl from dragging the ground… And I may have to decrease a pineapple reapeat instead of adding one as it is about 7 1/2 feet wide right now…. I’ll have to let you know for sure later. I’m also unsure of the amount of yarn I will be using at this time, I will update with this info & any changes I make when I finish the shawl.

I just heard from Heidi at Trendsetter with some disappointing news. Barry Klein designed the pattern for the show, and the company that owns the show owns all rights to the shawl. No pattern can currently be made available.

I let Heidi know that this topic comes up here from time to time, and that people are very interested in a pattern. I told her that if they are ever able to license production of a pattern from the show creators, that we'd be happy to promote availability of the pattern to everyone here.

So for now, everyone will just have to be content with using patterns of shawls with a similar look and feel.

Heidi offered her apologies too that they didn't have happier news to share with us.

although I did find a few mistakes in the pattern and I sorta had to alter it to make the number of stitches and dc's they stated would be there, right. Also, it comes out pretty short, so I had to do 3 or so more pattern repeats.

and I also came across this free pattern whilst in Hobby Lobby today, and it REALLY reminds me of DQ:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Accessories/LW2310+Comforting+Shawl.htm

there, and I'm gonna try that pattern this weekend. Hope these help somebody

ok everybody, here's what I found,

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59691401/vintage-shell-crochet-shawl

^ THAT shawl up there is THE closest I've ever found to the one of Dr. Quinn's that I posted earlier ( the one I found thanks to someone else's link). I'd LOVE to make this exact pattern in a antique teal that would look just like the one from the show.

However, I wish there was a pattern.

Is there anyone here who can help with that or anyone I can find to help make a pattern just by looking at it?

I found that with that etsy link up there that you can click twice and REALLY see the pattern detail, so I think making our own would be possible. I just don't know how to do it, or else I already would've.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Unfortunately, due to potential copyright issues and just the ethical issues involved in trying to copy/duplicate something created by another person, we cannot provide assistance in reverse-engineering patterns.

If anyone wanted to recreate this shawl for their personal use, and then show pictures of what they created, that would be fine. However, we couldn't allow the pattern to be posted here or distributed in any way (via post, private message, or email or sharing links to it).

Why not just contact the etsy seller and ask if the pattern is available somewhere?

If that's what you're looking for you could PM her thru the etsy system and ask her if she is the designer and if she's willing to sell the pattern.

It almost sounds like you want someone to reverse engineer the pattern because you found a good picture of it. I can do it but I won't. That would be copyright infringement.

Creating it from the picture is ok if it's simply for your personal use. Having someone else do it and share it is where the problem lies.

Hi, have you checked out Dot Matthews shawls/stoles section on this site? I was directed to there for something else and she has 5 or 6 patterns listed! I think they look quite similar to what you are looking for. Good luck.

ok everybody, here's what I found,

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59691401/vintage-shell-crochet-shawl

^ THAT shawl up there is THE closest I've ever found to the one of Dr. Quinn's that I posted earlier ( the one I found thanks to someone else's link). I'd LOVE to make this exact pattern in a antique teal that would look just like the one from the show.

However, I wish there was a pattern.

Is there anyone here who can help with that or anyone I can find to help make a pattern just by looking at it?

I found that with that etsy link up there that you can click twice and REALLY see the pattern detail, so I think making our own would be possible. I just don't know how to do it, or else I already would've.

Thanks for the help everybody!

That is almost more like a fan than pineapple. It is very pretty!

the white ones that were discussed earlier ( I think they were white) are the pineapple ones. There are a lot in the show that are pineapple, but the one I posted earlier definitely resembles a shell/ fan.

Hi DQfan937 and everyone else! This is Barry: http://www.craftcruises.com/instructor_information.php?instructor=Barry%20Klein

Maybe some of you will be on the cruise and can ask him about those patterns-lol! I don't know him, so couldn't leave him a message on facebook; well ... I did anyway but I'm sure you know what the response was ...

Archived