grandmalolly

Dr. Quinn type shawls?

56 posts in this topic

I recently caught a Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman on GMC, and have been watching it pretty much every day since! I noticed that a lot of the shawls on that show were crocheted, and they are so pretty! I have googled and clicked until my fingers cramped, and searched every obscure link I could find, to no avail, so I am hoping someone here, may have some ideas....does anyone watch that show, and know where I might find patterns? I went through CPC, and didn't see what I was looking for........help?

You can find beautiful shawl patterns everywhere. Leisure arts published many pretty patterns, also Annie's Attic. Booklets are available through many online stores

post-19311-135897493398_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your responses...maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. I looked at Crochet Pattern Central (CPC) and also searched for the shawls at vintage shawl websites, and tried historical crochet shawl patterns............I KNOW there are many lovely shawl patterns available, I was hoping to find some similar to the ones shown on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.....Again, thank you, I will keep looking.

Here's the link for the patterns page at The Costumer's Manifesto. This site is utterly amazing; so full of links for all manner of costuming interests. Another option is to try searching for patterns at ravelry. Good luck!

:::SWOONS::: OMGoodness, what a TREASURE TROVE that site is!!!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!! for posting that link! It's WONDERFUL!! :hug

It might be easier if you could find a picture to share of what you are looking for. I haven't seen that show in about 10 years...and I just can't picture what you're after. Are they triangles, rectangles, lacey, solid, thick and cozy, or...welll you know what I mean?

Remember to that a lot of the shawls are adaptable by the type of yarn you use. The same pattern for the Saraphina shawl for example can be made from lace weight or bulkey weight and the results will be totally different.

:::SWOONS::: OMGoodness, what a TREASURE TROVE that site is!!!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!! for posting that link! It's WONDERFUL!! :hug

You're most welcome! I probably should have also posted a warning to tie a string around your ankle and appoint a designated 'spotter', whose sole job would be to yank you back to real time after an hour or so. There's just SO much to see at Costumer's Manifesto. Bunny Trail Heaven!:devil

have you searched the Antique Pattern Library for 1860s crochet patterns? I never watched Dr Quinn but if they were using period costume it's likely there will be something similar amongst all those wonderful antique patterns :)

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

this place has civil war era patterns for sale amongst many others http://shop.vendio.com/schmetterlingtag/home.html

Edited by kookaloo_starr
unavailable link

have you searched the Antique Pattern Library for 1860s crochet patterns? I never watched Dr Quinn but if they were using period costume it's likely there will be something similar amongst all those wonderful antique patterns :)

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

this place has civil war era patterns for sale amongst many others http://shop.vendio.com/schmetterlingtag/home.html

What an amazing resource! Just reading through the booklets is an educational experience. :clap

I too have been enjoying the series and noticed how many shawls are crocheted. I'm keen to find a pattern from season five.

12513c9.jpg

2vv9j6a.jpg

110f19k.jpg

Edited by LadyCallie
adding pictures

I too have been enjoying the series and noticed how many shawls are crocheted. I'm keen to find a pattern from season five.

12513c9.jpg

2vv9j6a.jpg

110f19k.jpg

This is an absolute gorgeous shawl!! I too would love to find this pattern. I have been looking but nothing yet. They have to come from somewhere.

Wow, this costume manifesto website is awesome! I'm even looking at stuff that I would normally have no interest in. I somehow got on a page about cross-dresssing and even a link for "stripper's clothing". Kind of cool and weird at the same time.

The pattern you picked is awesome. Had you not found one I was going to suggest looking at CPC in the doily section, most pineapple doilies are symmetrical so you could work it in rows, not rounds, turning each row and making half a "doily" but with worsted yarn.

I have been trying to find the very same thing for at least 5 years. I have thought about still framing scenes from the DVD to try and deconstruct some of the patterns. There is a website dedicated fan page for dr. quinn but I have never seen anything posted there. I would think that somewhere in Hollywood someone knows who made those shawls and what they were based on. The other thing I may try is the Weldon's Practical Needlework series that has been re-published by Interweave Press. Post if you find anything yourself and I will too!

I found THIS free pattern and I think it's the one I'm going to go with. Now to decide what to make it out of?

Wow! That's quite a shawl. I may have to give that one a try.

:manyheart

Wow! That's quite a shawl. I may have to give that one a try.

:manyheart

Me too!

I totally saved it ......... I would love to make that for myself!

:heart

:mug

I found THIS free pattern and I think it's the one I'm going to go with. Now to decide what to make it out of?

I tried twice to make this pattern and just couldn't do it. I think it's gorgeous, but the pattern is terrible. It doesn't always match up with the the row before and it doesn't tell you at all where to place the stitches. If you're really experienced with charts you can probably figure it out, but I'm not. I just couldn't do it.

:cheerI never watched the show but stumbled upon this thread and WOW! I love those shawls! It took me about 2 hours to find this info; have to hurry and give it to you, my kitties are scratching down my door because I don't know it's time to feed them-lol!

The shawls were designed and made by Barry Klein-owner of Trendsetter Yarns! I found that out by stumbling onto this article:http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:H_hdLs90lTcJ:www.sdknitters.com/Newsletters1997/0297.pdf+barry+klein+dr+quinn+shawl&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShUSBT0Z3FNMGmiNYxOO50qt5pHPvfkb5ZNhzF8ZiTJEj1bSs5ce56U0NoHSU_MiyavqKYkOqTkz66juvJnfmO-865dF-8o6JwbuCfi6BQxGeVOqsg7vuHN5SfjIFjdI1LQUz7T&sig=AHIEtbTG8shjiLnjRhZUFljIDwVuBDHFtQ (copy and paste!!)

After that, I was stupid enough to begin searching for shawls for the Dr Quinn Show designed by Barry Klein! Then, about an hour ago it hit me; everyone alive is on Facebook! DUH!!

So, everyone who is searching for the Dr Quinn shawls, look Barry Klein up on facebook and let him know that we are all searching for those wonderful patterns!!

I've already put my 2 cents worth in to him... I hope there's a way we can get copies of the patterns.

Now, those kitties are going to call the cat-police if I don't go feed them. I will stay in touch.

:yay