Stitch Nation Yarn

ManfaMae

My mother requested that I make her a wool scarf. I've never used 100% wool before, so I was looking around online to see what was available and checking prices. I noticed on JoAnn's website, there's a wool yarn called "Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller Full o' Sheep Yarn" for only $3.49/skein (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02203024a). This seems to be considerably less expensive than other wool yarns, so I was wondering what the difference might be. Has anyone used it before?

Thanks,

Samantha

I've never used or seen this particular yarn before but there are lots of inexpensive wools available. Some can be pretty scratchy even if you don't have an allergy. The softest, smoothest ones are of course, more expensive. The Stitch Nation yarn you linked to is actually a little more expensive than good ol' Patons Classic, which is kinda scratchy to me, and I'm not sure I'd wear it against my skin. I use the less soft wools for felting. Since it's a scarf you're making, you don't really need all that much yarn so you won't break the bank by going with something a little more expensive that will be a lot softer. But like I said, I've never seen this yarn so it may very well be suitable for a wearable. It also depends on what the wearer thinks is scratchy against his/her skin. What I find coarse, someone else may find wonderfully soft.

My mother requested that I make her a wool scarf. I've never used 100% wool before, so I was looking around online to see what was available and checking prices. I noticed on JoAnn's website, there's a wool yarn called "Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller Full o' Sheep Yarn" for only $3.49/skein (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02203024a). This seems to be considerably less expensive than other wool yarns, so I was wondering what the difference might be. Has anyone used it before?

Thanks,

Samantha

I ordered some from Joanns but i haven't received yet, I will let you know what I think when I get it.

I think it must be a new one. I've scanned through the wools at JoAnn's before and don't remember that being listed.

Might want to check here:

Wool

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Wool_Knitting_Yarn__L30010207.html

Swish superwash merino wool is machine washable. Soft, lovely color selection.

I'm nearly done with a tunic I've made with it. Would be a good scarf yarn.

Peruvian Highland wool

Hand wash wool. IMO, Softer than Paton's wool and LB's.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that I got my yarn and just made my first ever felted purse with this yarn and it turned out beautifully. I don't know if I would use it for wearables because it feels pretty itchy to me.

Archived