Gauge for Graphghan

krafty19

Question

I'm trying to do a graphghan for the first time. It says there are 240 sts and that it should measure 24" wide. Well, mine is 65" :eek and I'm using F hook instead of H. When I used the H hook, it was big enough for a bedspread! (this is supposed to be an baby afghan.) It says you can use the afghan hook or a regular hook. Is there a difference in the size of the stitches if you use an afghan hook or regular hook? I don't know how to do the afghan stitch so I really don't know if there is a difference.

I've already ripped it out once and really don't want to again. Any advice?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

It seems like 10 stitches should equal one inch. In completing 240 stitches you'd get 24 inches. You need to vary your hook so that when you do a swatch, you'll be able to get the gauge correct. Since everyone's tension varies, hook size can vary as well. I know when I'm tense, my stitches are much tighter. LOL- you must be a very relaxed person!!

Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little.

10 stitches to an inch is a very small gauge. What weight yarn are you using? You'd need a fairly fine yarn and small hook to get that gauge. The standard gauge for worsted weight yarn is 4 to 4.5 sts per inch. The 10 sts per inch would be for lace weight yarn or for size 10 crochet thread. Something's wrong here!

Jean Leinhauser

The pattern calls for Red Heart but I'm using ILTY worsted weight. It's supposed to be an afghan. It did not specify sport weight but the colors matched RHSS. That's why I was wondering about the afghan stitch sc if it was smaller than a regular sc.

Even in Afghan stitch , no way is 240 stitches 24 inches done in worsted yarn , Im guessing its a typo. The only way it would be that is if you are working in thread.

I dont know why it would say that, but ignore it :) Gauge isnt vital in afghans.

240 stitches would be around 6 feet, so you are about right, most of the ones I do are 180 stitches and are around 5feet or so.

Even in Afghan stitch , no way is 240 stitches 24 inches done in worsted yarn , Im guessing its a typo. The only way it would be that is if you are working in thread.

I dont know why it would say that, but ignore it :) Gauge isnt vital in afghans.

240 stitches would be around 6 feet, so you are about right, most of the ones I do are 180 stitches and are around 5feet or so.

I vote for typo, also!

The afghan stich is simple... I have a tuturial on it if you woul dlike to see it.. I too am going to try my frist graph... and I was going to sc it.. then i watched the tut. and Realized how much simpler the Afghan stich is when working a graph... i tested it on a small pattern i found of a kitty face and it was much easier! using the afghan stich.. as apose to a sc

Archived