Sign in to follow this  
meowy

Will two 10's together equal size 5 thread?

If I hold two threads of size 10 cotton thread together, is that about the same as a single strand of size 5 thread? I've not worked with size 5 thread before.

For want of a better answer, use the size hook called for and compare it to the gague in the pattern. Good luck.

I have found that it's closer to size 3, due to the air space.

I've doubled the strands but never compared them. I could use up to an F hook. A "G" hook was too large for me anyway.

Just did a search and another lady found that 2 strands of size 10 equals size 3 thread.

HERE is the blog post.

Is guage critical? If not, like a doily or placemat, then you could still do use 2 strands. If it's a wearable, then you will want to play around with guage. Go up or down a hook size and see what you get.

I found THIS and it said that a crochet hook size D works with size 5 thrad and a size E hook works with size 3 thread. I've went up to an F hook with size 3 thread, so you probably could get away with 2 strands. Give it a try.

Debbi

Thank you all very much! Thank you Gran! Thanks Debbi for the blog, when I googled I kept ending up at shops selling Aunt Lydia's thread bah! :) Thanks lhendrix! :)

Gauge isn't really critical for the project but my thread is connected to various tatting projects and I just couldn't bring myself to snip two projects off to test it eek! Thanks so much everyone for the help :)