Tunisian CAL Anyone?

Braxxi

I worked up almost a whole entire dishcloth while I was waiting for my dad and sis at the bowling alley yesterday. I was like, ya'll are so late. Look what I did while I was waiting. She was like, than it's ok then cause you got something done. I was like, no. Being late is still not ok. But, honestly though. It was nice getting something done. Just don't tell her I said that.

Julee

Your secret is safe with me! :P

I've started on the stars now, and I guess I'm a neat freak, because I hate the yarn at the back. The star colour between the first two points stretches across and I know there are going to be dog paws stuck in or pulling at it.

I've ripped out the first square and started over winding the two colours together, but it's going to take me forever this way. Is there a trick I'm missing to keep the back tidy?

Carrying that yarn that far won't really work for that very reason. It will get pulled plus the back will be a tangled mess.

yeah you need to not carry the yarn and use a bobbin of yarn for each color section, that keeps front and back the same.

Hope that helps...

That's the way I do those things as well.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah you need to not carry the yarn and use a bobbin of yarn for each color section, that keeps front and back the same. Hope that helps...

Aha! So THAT'S what those bobbins that came with the afghan hook are for. Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Thanks!

I wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm still here. I set my Tunisian Baby blanket aside for a couple days to work on the new addition to our house. My son has a doctor's appt tomorrow and I need to do some shopping, so I probably won't get back to working on the blanket for a couple days yet since it's my "at home" project. :lol

Just to let you all know, I'm going to leave the CAL. Best of luck to you! :hug

Sorry to see you go. :hug Best of luck with your other crochet projects!

This sounds interesting. I have done a couple of items in tunisian but not real good at it, but for Christmas I would like to make a few afghans out of special characters using the tunisian stitch.

I HATE TUNISAN PURL STITCH!!!!! :thair Although it is quite nice looking, it is a pain in the rear! I have done 3 rows of it and according to my own pattern need to do 25...I just don't know if I can do it! :(

It certainly does take a bit of getting use to & I don't like it as well as regular crochet but it does nicely when your making graphs:think

I HATE TUNISAN PURL STITCH!!!!! :thair Although it is quite nice looking, it is a pain in the rear! I have done 3 rows of it and according to my own pattern need to do 25...I just don't know if I can do it! :(

But it looks SOOOO nice :P

Don't get mad. Just put it down and do another quick project then come back to it when you're calmed down. That way Your mind is fresh, and you can try it again. Maybe you'll find it turns out better. I had that problem of getting frustrated once and my friends told me to do that. And they were right. I worked for me. Try it and I hope it works for you. Let me know how your doing.

Update on my Star Spangled project - I've finished all the solid squares, all the star squares, and the striped squares, a total of 29. Now I'm starting the striped squares with the navy blue star and am juggling 8 bobbins! It's so much fun though, and is going so fast, I'm amazed - can't wait to start putting it all together.

Just reintroduced to this style of crocheting and am attempting a simple scarf. Nice to find others like me who are just starting out and starting simple.:crocheting

Way to go. :cheer:clap Can't wait to see it. :yes:cheer

Update on my Star Spangled project - I've finished all the solid squares, all the star squares, and the striped squares, a total of 29. Now I'm starting the striped squares with the navy blue star and am juggling 8 bobbins! It's so much fun though, and is going so fast, I'm amazed - can't wait to start putting it all together.

Well, I gave up on the Tunisian Purl Stitch...I think I'll stick to the more simple ones for now. :D

I've decided to add another 25 rows of Simple Stitch instead. I'll see what size it is then and decide if I want to add anymore or not.

I'm slowly working on my baby blanket.

I looked at the pattern for the "Teach Me" afghan I bought from Herscchner's a month or so ago. Come to find out, it's done in tunisian simple stitch with cross stitch over it. I had thought it would be stitch in single crochet with the cross stitch over top.

I think you can still make it in SC and cross stitch the design on it.

I'm slowly working on my baby blanket.

I looked at the pattern for the "Teach Me" afghan I bought from Herscchner's a month or so ago. Come to find out, it's done in tunisian simple stitch with cross stitch over it. I had thought it would be stitch in single crochet with the cross stitch over top.

I thought of that too. The thing that really gets me about the pattern is that it's worked with worsted weight yarn and a G afghan hook :eek. I'm using a sport yarn (I'd call it size 2) right now and a J hook...lol. I can't imagine using a G tunisian hook and ww yarn.

I think that'll work. Just remember, your project will turn out alittle smaller than the original pattern will be.

I thought of that too. The thing that really gets me about the pattern is that it's worked with worsted weight yarn and a G afghan hook :eek. I'm using a sport yarn (I'd call it size 2) right now and a J hook...lol. I can't imagine using a G tunisian hook and ww yarn.

Bought a set of hooks and it had a small booklet called "Getting Started With Easy Tunisian Crochet. I made a lovely shawl for my mil. Her daughter liked it so well that she asked me to make her one. The whole thing was TSS. Now that I look there are more stitches in the book. Think I will try a sampler afghan making blocks with the other stitches. Thanks for reminding me that I had this. :clap

I will get back if I can do the other stitches.:crocheting

Ok Ladies I was trying with all my might to resist this but I couldn't. I have a pattern for a dinosaur blanket done in Tunisan that the wonderful Judianne gifted me a while back and I think I am finally ready to do it, mostly to get rid of all the yarn I have so I can buy more :lol I'm not sure who the blanket will go to as I have a 5 year old and 4 year old boys and a 6 year old step son but I'm sure it will find a very nice home somewhere. Oh and I have done tunisan before...I did a stocking for oldest son when he was a baby and something else (sorry pregnancy makes me forget things)

Ok I will go get :hook and yarn and pattern and get started!!!

Oh by the way this is the blanket I am going to do : http://www.123stitch.com/pictures/LA75065-3.jpg

Started a scarf - using a tunisian stitch from the harmony guide to crochet called "Platform Stitch." It is an alternating TSS and TPS and I love the effect. Sort of reminds me of a basketweave but of course no post stitches. I'm using Vanna's Choice in Linen and Dusty Purple. The color combo is delicious. For an acrylic this yarn is pretty soft and thick. I typically prefer natural fibers but couldn't resist these colors.

Will post pictures this week-end of how it looks so far. I so love tunisian crochet. I really want to knit but only have 3 fingers on my right hand so I'm not sure if I would be able to hold the needles. So tunisian crochet is a close alternative.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's projects.

J:manyheart

Welcome everyone new!

I've had to work on a couple other projects the last couple days, but I'm planning to work on my baby blanket later today. I'm figuring I need to do another 25 rows of TKS and another 25 rows TSS to make it look ok. Then I will have to figure out what edging to put on it.

I'm sure it'll be very nice. :) Can't wait to see it. :yes

Welcome everyone new!

I've had to work on a couple other projects the last couple days, but I'm planning to work on my baby blanket later today. I'm figuring I need to do another 25 rows of TKS and another 25 rows TSS to make it look ok. Then I will have to figure out what edging to put on it.

Archived