Tunisian CAL Anyone?

Braxxi

The best thing I have found to stop the curling in Tunisian is to use a really large hook. I typically use at least two sizes higher than the yarn calls for. So for Red Heart, I'd use a "K". I'm making a scarf with Naturally Caron Spa and using a size "J". It has fabulous drape and absolutely no curl.

Doing a row of TPS helps as well as a SC border as others have mentioned.

Here's a pic of my scarf...it has actually doubled in length, but I haven't taken any new pictures. Thanks for looking!

post-28827-135897494893_thumb.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

I love tunisian crochet. I taught myself how to do it last summer and I am having so much fun with it. I can do the tunisian simple stitch (tss), the tunisian purl stitch (tps), and the tunisian knit stitch (tks). What I love about it is that I was really never a big knit fan and I had learned how to crochet when I was young. Tunsian stitch brings all of that together and the possibilities are endless. I've been doing an afghan on a set of "40" circular tunisian needles that I ordered through Amazon that are Susan Bates brand.

When I'm finished the afghan that I am working on. I'd love to join the CAL. Oh and did you know that you can do a cross stitch pattern on the finished project as well?

DCMerkle

Thanks for the tips! You are more than welcome to join us with your already started afghan if you like.

I love Tunisian. Let's see . . . what can I make???? (digging out patterns, hooks, etc.)

You definitely need to change the way you hold your hook with Tunisian. The pencil hold could put your eye out! ;-)

Welcome!

The best thing I have found to stop the curling in Tunisian is to use a really large hook. I typically use at least two sizes higher than the yarn calls for. So for Red Heart, I'd use a "K". I'm making a scarf with Naturally Caron Spa and using a size "J". It has fabulous drape and absolutely no curl.

Here's a pic of my scarf...it has actually doubled in length, but I haven't taken any new pictures. Thanks for looking!

That is beautiful! I can't wait to see it all done.

Thanks, Cris & Braxxi!

:thair Argh!!!! I just had to pull out an entire row on my Entrelac scarf. :angry

I was starting to put on the last round and notice that one of the white rows done in TKS instead of TSS like the rest of the scarf. I'm glad I caught it when I did, but I'm very frustrated. That's what happens when I work on two Tunisian projects at once.

Well, back to it I guess. I really want to get this done tonight. Thanks for letting me vent.

Have you tried the Tunisian dishcloth in the round? It's a LOT of fun to make. If you don't have the pattern, let me know and I will email it to you. It is free online and also on Ravelry if you are a member. It is my favorite dishcloth to make.

Ok. I didn't get around to the picture before, but I took one tonight. I finished Rows 26-50 in tunisian knit stitch. I think I'll do the next 25 in tunisian purl stitch.

Here's a close up pic. The actual piece is about 30" long and a foot wide. It's curling up, of course, but I was planning on adding a reg crochet border around the edge when it's finished. I think that will help keep it flat.

[ATTACH]14904[/ATTACH]

I also recieved the 13 Dishcloth pattern book I won on eBay the other day. I had expected there to be more than just 2 stitches used for the different patterns, so I guess I'm a little disappointed.

Really really pretty. That is going to be lovely.

I would be very interested in learning how to do that dishcloth.

I have a question now that my scarf is almost done (its made of basic TPS) - edging. what is the best way to edge your tunisian crocheted pieces? It appears like the bottom and right side are already finished - do you edge all the way round? edge at all? edge just the top and left with matching yarn? ... what is best?

Really really pretty. That is going to be lovely.

Thanks!

I would be very interested in learning how to do that dishcloth.

I have a question now that my scarf is almost done (its made of basic TPS) - edging. what is the best way to edge your tunisian crocheted pieces? It appears like the bottom and right side are already finished - do you edge all the way round? edge at all? edge just the top and left with matching yarn? ... what is best?

I don't personally like to edge Tunisian work at all. I think it looks it's best without it. I would say it's up to you! I don't think an edge would hurt it or make it look bad at all.

I finished my Tunisian Entrelac scarf this evening! :clap I could have finished it last night, but I was so tired. I was going to force myself to stay awake and realized that was just silly. Anywho, I really like the feel of this fabric. I used Caron Simply Soft yarn and a size "J" Turn of the Century hook I got from my mom for Christmas. I have posted a picture of the scarf and the hook. :D Thanks for looking!

post-28827-135897495671_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897495675_thumb.jpg

You going to need:

1 skein of dishcloth cotton

size “J” afghan hook

yarn needle

*Note: all return rows are done as follow: Yo, pull through 1 loop on hook. **Yo, pull through two loops on hook. Rep from ** to end.

Chain 15.

First Wedge

Row 1: Pull up a loop in 2nd chain from hook. (2 loops on hook). Work return as shown in notes.

Row 2: Pull up a loop in next vertical bar. Pull up a loop in next chain st. (3 loops on hook). Work return row.

Row 3: pull up a loop in each of next 2 vertical bars. Pull up a loop in next chain st. (4 loops on hook). Work return row.

Row 4: Pull up a loop in each of next 3 vertical bars. Pull up a loop in next chain st. 5 loops on hook. Work return row.

Continue as established,pulling up a loop in next empty chain st after all vertical bars have been worked until you have worked all the chain sts and you have 15 loops on the hook. Work a return row. (1 loop remaining on hook.)

Wedges 2-6

Work as far Wedge 1, but using vertical bars on previous wedge instead of chain stitches.

After the sixth wedge has been worked off,slip stitch in each vertical bar across. Break yarn and thread yarn needle. With right sides facing,sew or whip stitch edges together. Using tail from original chain,sew center hole closed. Attach yarn to any stitch on outer edge and work 1 round of single crochet around entire edge. (That part is optional). Weave in ends and call it a day!

post-19085-135897495771_thumb.jpg

I love tunisian crochet. I just made the prettiest little pot holder using it. I'll have to take a pic later so y'all can see it.

Oh, yeah. This cal is awesome. I need to work on some tuni dishcloths so this will be perfect. I also want to learn entrelac. It's so beautiful!!

Julee

I love tunisian crochet. I just made the prettiest little pot holder using it. I'll have to take a pic later so y'all can see it.

Oh, yeah. This cal is awesome. I need to work on some tuni dishcloths so this will be perfect. I also want to learn entrelac. It's so beautiful!!

Julee

Welcome aboard! I can help you with Entrelac if you want to learn. :yes

Yay for this CAL!! :yay

I've just started my first tunisian afghan. I'm following the pattern called "Star Spangled" from 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans and Throws.

This is what the finished product is supposed to look like.

post-22989-135897495894_thumb.jpg

There are solid squares, striped squares, solid squares with stars in the middle and striped squares with stars in the middle (three colours, eeek!) so I thought this would be a good pattern to use to learn and practice the stitch and still end up with a birthday present for my MIL in Texas (if it turns out!). So far I've finished the solid white and solid red squares and am LOVING doing the striped squares...those stars look scary though!

Don't worry, you can do it. :yes:)

I've just started my first tunisian afghan. I'm following the pattern called "Star Spangled" from 50 Sensational Crochet Afghans and Throws.

[ATTACH]15052[/ATTACH]

There are solid squares, striped squares, solid squares with stars in the middle and striped squares with stars in the middle (three colours, eeek!) so I thought this would be a good pattern to use to learn and practice the stitch and still end up with a birthday present for my MIL in Texas (if it turns out!). So far I've finished the solid white and solid red squares and am LOVING doing the striped squares...those stars look scary though!

[ATTACH]15052[/ATTACH]

Welcome! You'll be just fine and if you get stuck, we'll help!

Also cool is the mitered square. It makes a nice dishcloth (or two together for a potholder) and I even made a baby blanket out of the squares using a washable wool.

I've seen some knitted mitered squares and have made a few in regular crochet. I'm going to try one in Tunisian, I think.

In case anyone missed it, I did post a picture of my Entrelac scarf on page 6, I think. I know some people were interested in that technique.

I worked up almost a whole entire dishcloth while I was waiting for my dad and sis at the bowling alley yesterday. I was like, ya'll are so late. Look what I did while I was waiting. She was like, than it's ok then cause you got something done. I was like, no. Being late is still not ok. But, honestly though. It was nice getting something done. Just don't tell her I said that.

Julee

I've started on the stars now, and I guess I'm a neat freak, because I hate the yarn at the back. The star colour between the first two points stretches across and I know there are going to be dog paws stuck in or pulling at it.

I've ripped out the first square and started over winding the two colours together, but it's going to take me forever this way. Is there a trick I'm missing to keep the back tidy?

I've started on the stars now, and I guess I'm a neat freak, because I hate the yarn at the back. The star colour between the first two points stretches across and I know there are going to be dog paws stuck in or pulling at it.

I've ripped out the first square and started over winding the two colours together, but it's going to take me forever this way. Is there a trick I'm missing to keep the back tidy?

yeah you need to not carry the yarn and use a bobbin of yarn for each color section, that keeps front and back the same.

Hope that helps...

Archived