Tunisian CAL Anyone?

Braxxi

Those look so comfortable. :)

That's beautiful Tam, great job!

I love Tunisian, what I can do of it. I'd love to get the Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet. I've made up several stitches myself by just playing around with what I can make the hook do, including some cables, but don't know what they are called or how to write down the instructions. I made some notes, but don't always understand them later! :(:blush

Currently I'm making myself some slipper socks. I made a pair a few months ago and started another before Christmas. I don't have a pattern, so am winging it. I'll post pics when they're finished. Here is a pic of the first pair I made:

[ATTACH]14515[/ATTACH]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's beautiful Tam, great job!

I love Tunisian, what I can do of it. I'd love to get the Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet. I've made up several stitches myself by just playing around with what I can make the hook do, including some cables, but don't know what they are called or how to write down the instructions. I made some notes, but don't always understand them later! :(:blush

Currently I'm making myself some slipper socks. I made a pair a few months ago and started another before Christmas. I don't have a pattern, so am winging it. I'll post pics when they're finished. Here is a pic of the first pair I made:

[ATTACH]14515[/ATTACH]

I somehow missed this post earlier. Those look fabulous! You're very talented. :yes

I'm so mad! :angry I watched 2 different copies of "101 Tunisian Stitches" go for $80-95 on eBay the last few days. I actually emailed Annie's Attic and told them they should either reprint the book or make it available as a download. :lol

Anyway, my blanket is working up much easier this time using the larger hook. I got back to where I had originally been in the skeins (before I frogged the whole thing and started over), last night, but haven't had time to work on it much today.

I'm so mad! :angry I watched 2 different copies of "101 Tunisian Stitches" go for $80-95 on eBay the last few days. I actually emailed Annie's Attic and told them they should either reprint the book or make it available as a download. :lol

Anyway, my blanket is working up much easier this time using the larger hook. I got back to where I had originally been in the skeins (before I frogged the whole thing and started over), last night, but haven't had time to work on it much today.

There are so many books from Annie's Attic that I want now that aren't available anymore. It's so frustrating!!!

Same here! I had to get mine on e-bay because they didn't have them for download. I got lucky though, my books were brand new and didn't smell at all . I'm always afraid ebay stuff will come smelling like smoke and cat pee.

I've looked at ebay, too. I'll probably break down and buy it one of these days. In the meantime though, I started a tunisian entrelac scarf last night. It's one of my favorite techniques. I'm making it using Caron SS in pink, green and white with my Turn of the Century hook (size J).

It's lovely so far. It is so soft and has the most fabulous drape!

I don't know how very well, haven't tried it other that one little practice swatch.

I saw a lady tell another on the MoEZ group (i think it was that group) recently not to carry the color more than a stitch or two or she'd get a really messy disaster on the back of the afghan.

photo of my tunisian color change practice #1

tunisian stitch practice

I did some color changes there, but had a couple tiny butterflies/balls of white hanging down the back. When I tried to carry it along, i was able to see the carried-along yarn as a visible line on the back of the work. I don't know if I did it wrong of if that'll always happen.

Hmm... sooo that wasn't any help I don't think sorry hahaha, but that's my experiences so far with color changing :)

Sorry, Tia! I'm not any help there either. I haven't been able to figure out a way to carry the color.

I forgot to mention that I'm taking the Tunisian Lace class here at the 'Ville starting tomorrow, too. Lots of Tunisian work going on at my house and I love it!

Thanks Meowy, you're swatch looks great!

I wanted to ask around for instructions first, before I spent hours trying to figure it out myself. I guess I'll have to make a few practice swatches myself!

I'm not too worried about how the back would look. I'd probably make a sweater or hat instead of an afghan.

Thanks Meowy, you're swatch looks great!

I wanted to ask around for instructions first, before I spent hours trying to figure it out myself. I guess I'll have to make a few practice swatches myself!

I'm not too worried about how the back would look. I'd probably make a sweater or hat instead of an afghan.

I think the issue is that it will show through on the front also.

Here I started this thread and I've never even tried color changes yet!!! :lol I'm using 2 colors for my baby blanket, but I'm just doing one row each way of each color, so I get to pick the yarn up at the end of the rows. :crocheting

I really think, and this is obviously just my opinion. Like any other graphGhan, you dont carry yarn and if you do, only 1 or 2 squares at the most.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while searching for a graph to try out.

I bought my first t-hook tonight (H,.. didn't know what size I was supposed to get LOL) and now I'm trying to do a dishcloth - if I finish it, then i'll share :) Figured I'd practice something easy before trying a scarf :)

I got an email back from Annie's Attic...they are forwarding my request to the proper department for consideration. Of course, this could be their polite way of blowing me off. :P

As for my baby blanket...I've gotten 25 rows done now. I'm thinking about switching to a different stitch and making it into a sampler of sorts. The part I have done is simple stitch so I was thinking about trying the knit/stockinette stitch for the next 25 rows. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. Just too tired right now. :lol

I ask someone on Ravelry about color stranding in Tunisian and they said this (the link below is to Ravelry):

"I have done Tunisian using a bunch of colors before. I use bobbins with the different colors and when I am changing colors, I slip the hook into the “bar” for the next stitch, but pull up the new color. I then will take the old color, kind of twist around the new color before using the new color again. That may not make much sense, but I have found that it prevents a gap from forming. I also try not to carry one color behind for too long. If you start with blue, then use red for a bunch of stitches before going back to blue, I recommend having another bobbin of blue at that second point. You wont be wasting a ton of yarn on the back side of your work & it will look nicer. Check out my EIU panther wall hanging. This is in Tunisian."

Ok. I didn't get around to the picture before, but I took one tonight. I finished Rows 26-50 in tunisian knit stitch. I think I'll do the next 25 in tunisian purl stitch.

Here's a close up pic. The actual piece is about 30" long and a foot wide. It's curling up, of course, but I was planning on adding a reg crochet border around the edge when it's finished. I think that will help keep it flat.

post-21933-135897494847_thumb.jpg

I also recieved the 13 Dishcloth pattern book I won on eBay the other day. I had expected there to be more than just 2 stitches used for the different patterns, so I guess I'm a little disappointed.

I finished a facial washcloth tonight with primarily using tunisian style and I'm still plugging away on a scarf - I do really like it!

As for curling, I also read that starting any tunisian piece with 2-3 rows of purling will help stop curling.

Hi,

I love tunisian crochet. I taught myself how to do it last summer and I am having so much fun with it. I can do the tunisian simple stitch (tss), the tunisian purl stitch (tps), and the tunisian knit stitch (tks). What I love about it is that I was really never a big knit fan and I had learned how to crochet when I was young. Tunsian stitch brings all of that together and the possibilities are endless. I've been doing an afghan on a set of "40" circular tunisian needles that I ordered through Amazon that are Susan Bates brand.

When I'm finished the afghan that I am working on. I'd love to join the CAL. Oh and did you know that you can do a cross stitch pattern on the finished project as well?

DCMerkle

I didn't know that DCMerkle - honestly, I just started doing it last week. I love the thickness this style of crochet is giving. For my scarf, I'm using the purl stitch (I think, if I'm doing it right LOL) and I'm getting no curling.

It really is a cool method and agree with you that it can really bring crochet and knitting together.

I love Tunisian. Let's see . . . what can I make???? (digging out patterns, hooks, etc.)

You definitely need to change the way you hold your hook with Tunisian. The pencil hold could put your eye out! ;-)

LOL I can only imagine... luckily, I don't hold my hook the pencil way for regular crochet. I couldn't imagine trying to change how I hold the hook .... EESH! It is funny you mention that tho... a few weeks ago when I decided to join the online community of crocheters, I was watching some YouTube videos and thought "wow, I hold my hook SO wrong".... but its not wrong, just different :) And that difference has made learning Tunisian a lot easier.

Archived