Tunisian CAL Anyone?

Braxxi

I am new to Tunisian crochet and was wondering if anyone else would like to join a CAL doing Tunisian items. I recently bought the Denise hook set and just started a baby blanket tonight. I'd like to try some other items in the future also, but the baby blanket seemed easiest to start with. :D

Of course, since I am new to this type of crochet, I won't really be able to help anyone else with questions, but maybe someone with some experience will join us also. :lol

1. Baby blanket using light blue and light brown, G hook and Tunisian Simple Stitch.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! :)

I am learning tunisian too, I got a book on ebay called A Dozen and One Tunisian Dishcloths by Kim Guzman, on tunisian washcloths so I'll join you by trying to make one of those. I'll pick one out tonight wheee! :)

I casted on last night for my washcloth, it took 5 tries ugh! I think I got it ready to start now though hehe. I think instead of trying to use that big long hook to pick up loops, I'll use a smaller hook to pull the loops up to place on that big hook.

Welcome!

I learned something last night so I'll share... I usually crochet using the "pencil" hold on my hooks. I found that I have to hold "overhand" to work Tunisian. :lol

I have been crocheting tunisian things for the past few months and really enjoying it.

I am working on another Afghan CAL so I dont know if I will have time to join this one faithfully but I will definitely be checking in and sharing pics when I make Tunisian things in the coming months.

I am in love with Tunisian Lace at the moment!

Hugs

Kath

I've learned how to do this in the past few years and I like it. To me it's fun to do. I've taken one skein of yarn and made a large rectangle which I folded in half, sewed up the sides, made a long 2" strap and sewed to the sides which made a purse. To close it, I crocheted a chain, attached it to one side and made a small two-tone flower and attached it to the other side and put the loop over it to close it. I don't have the time right now to look for the picture but I'll post it when I can. I've seen others make squares and sewed it together to make a afghan and it looks nice. Once you learn tunisian then it'll be easy to learn to cro-hook. Thats a crochet hook with hooks on both ends. You use two different colors of yarn and make things that is one color on one side and another on the other side. That's fun to do too. I might not do any tunisian right now but I'd like to be keeping up with this if that's okay with everyone. I might make some potholders later to send to my son. :)

Well, I was finishing somewhere around the 12th row of my baby blanket when I noticed I made an error on the 1st row. Being the perfectionist that I am, I pulled the whole thing out. :eek I'm about 3 rows in again, but I did change to a larger hook. I'm using a J hook with the sport yarn now.

oh... I might pop in on this one. I'm just home from vacation and have a few things on my plate.. but I would like to make something.

I made this last year as a gift for a friend!

post-18634-135897492401_thumb.jpg

:heart

:mug

That's beautiful Tam, great job!

I love Tunisian, what I can do of it. I'd love to get the Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet. I've made up several stitches myself by just playing around with what I can make the hook do, including some cables, but don't know what they are called or how to write down the instructions. I made some notes, but don't always understand them later! :(:blush

Currently I'm making myself some slipper socks. I made a pair a few months ago and started another before Christmas. I don't have a pattern, so am winging it. I'll post pics when they're finished. Here is a pic of the first pair I made:

post-11662-135897492404_thumb.jpg

Thank you Braxxi!!!

Aww… thanks Nicole!!! Now don’t talk like that… you can do anything you put your mind to!!!

Thanks Teresa!! Those socks are AWESOME!!! Wow!!!

here are some realy good tuts on how to do tunisan crochet.. along with video's... I watched the one with the video's and That is how it finaly clicked... I"m working on a Cat washcloth graph rite now... The first one i tryed didnt work out becuse i improvised with 2 regulr hooks Electrical taped together.. Needless to say it did not work out well beacuse it was floppy.. so i ran to Hobby lobby today an bought me a Susan bates size h hook to Retry.

This is the HOW to with videos' shows all sorts of diffrent stiches... The esiest are the purl and Regular stich.. I got them 2 both down..

http://www.nexstitch.com/v_tps.html

here is some Pic tuts on how to Tunic. it is way simpler then it looks esp if you watch the video's..

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/tunisian.htm

and one more pic tut.

http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=42

HOpe this helps those learning :).. now my next is HOw to color change lol

I have a question about picking up loops.

Which way is it to pick up loops when going across the piece filling the hook up? Just the little vertical bar on the front or between the front/back vertical and under the horizontal stitch? I had been practicing the first way, but in the dishcloth book I have it shows the second way. The second video does just like the book shows I think.

1st way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBAhIxJAU4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

2nd way:

this is something I wanted to do this year, but I am not ready yet.

If it's ok, I will :lurk for a while...

We'd love to have you lurk!

I have a question about picking up loops.

Which way is it to pick up loops when going across the piece filling the hook up? Just the little vertical bar on the front or between the front/back vertical and under the horizontal stitch? I had been practicing the first way, but in the dishcloth book I have it shows the second way. The second video does just like the book shows I think.

1st way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBAhIxJAU4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

2nd way:

Where you pick up the loop is how you do the different stitches. Check out this website for the various stitches...

http://www.chezcrochet.com/page17.html

Meowy...

Those are two different stitches. The first video is showing what is commonly called the Tunisian or Afghan stitch, but is technically called the Simple Stitch. The 2nd video is demonstrating the Tunisian Knit Stitch.

You can see videos for those and many more stitches at Nexstitch.

this is something I wanted to do this year, but I am not ready yet.

If it's ok, I will :lurk for a while...

Welcome . . . lurk away . . . jump in any time you feel like it! :hug

Ohhh!!! I gotcha! Thank you Teresa and Nicole!

Oops haha, the book does call them Tunisian Knit Stitch every time she says (K) I'm supposed to do that one. Oh man this is no where near as complicated as my brain was making it. Whew.. okay I think I can make a washcloth finally hahaha

Thanks very much for the link to ChezCrochet! I'm heading there to take a look now :)

It's great :) It's the A Dozen & One Tunisian Dishcloths by Kim Guzman, it has 13 cute washcloths in it. I'm trying to do the heart one that's solid colored. I think I can do it now that I've learned a bit today hehehe

wow more sites for me to bookmark on Tusi..... WOW.. lol.. Rite now i have a project in my hand ( i scratched the other gona use the yarn for a magic 8ball lol..).. I was using 2 taped regluar hooks to make a long hook.. but Went out today n got me a big hook. and restarted the project lol.. im on row 6 now :).. wish me luck on a cute kitty square

oh... I might pop in on this one. I'm just home from vacation and have a few things on my plate.. but I would like to make something.

I made this last year as a gift for a friend!

[ATTACH]14508[/ATTACH]

I meant to ask you if you have a pattern for than and where I might get my hands on one! :hook

Archived