Doilyghans, round ripples, or large granny squares as tableclothes anyone?

Anyone use large doilyghans, round ripples, or granny squares as a tablecloth? I have a (store-bought) crocheted tablecloth that I get so many compliments on. I have minimal experience with thread. I've only made a couple snowflakes. Quite honestly the thought of doing any big project in thread completely turns me off because I just don't have the patience. I had originally thought of making a granny square motif tablecloth with cooridinating colors of my kitchen, but researched a little and found a few other ideas. I would use either sock yarn or fingering yarn.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated :)

This is a great idea and I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've thought about making a round ripple tablecloth out of

cotton. Sock yarn would work well. The colors are so pretty.

I always admire it at the store but have absolutely no interest

in making socks. :hook

I've saw some quick tablecloth pattern book that was done with 2 strands of size 10 thread and a larger hook (maybe even up to an F hook).

I've also saw a large round tablecloth done in size 3 thread Ultimate Doily here.

You could even use a Size F thread.

You could also find a sport weight cotton or thinner cotton.

Of course you could use any yarn you want! I made some "doilies" out of yarn because they would just go under things really never to be seen and just needed something under them. My brother really liked them, so hey!

Go to freepatterns.com and find the Quick and Easy Tablecloth. Done out of WW cotton. Very pretty.

You could even just do a larger square a month or week or whatever would work for you. Maybe keep a blog of it or update on here.

There use to be a CAL, but you could start one.

Good luck.

Debbi

I made this last year for my bedside table, used a 3mm hook and DK cotton.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100087

The only concern I'd have with making a bigger tablecloth out of heavier weight yarn is the thought that it might pull out of shape if you make it to overhang the table edge :think

I have made a number of tablecloths using a large doily and worsted weight yarn & hook to match and they work up really nice.Iv'e made tablecloths that call for yarn ,so I figured why not a doily ,they make great tablecloths

the one thing I sugest is wash on gentle and air dry ,the dryer makes them flimsy,put them on the table and flip the over hang up till dry ,they dry nice that way

Archived