filet crochet

craftysis

I am not really new to filet crochet but have some problems when it comes to when it gets to the end of the row. I do pretty good on the first row and when it is finished I get confused.....I am wanting to do one with letters....I do pretty good but after I get so far I see I have gone too far on some stitches or not far enough.....HELP!!!!

thanks..:think

I make copies of the chart and do one of two things....color in each stitch with a pencil so i can erase it later or if i can't copy it i use a highighter so that the stitches are visible all the time.

In areas that are all open mesh, it's easy to keep count because the edges of the meshes are easy to see and line up. In solid areas, it's harder. I have been doing filet for a long time and every time I get a few solid meshes together I count stitches and make sure that the mesh is starting/ending in the right place, sometimes by following the stitches from open meshes in lower rows straight 'up' to line the meshes up.

Remember that when you get solid meshes surrounded by open meshes, the number of stitches in that section is the number of meshes times 3, plus 1. The 1 belongs to the open mesh on the right. Example, 4 solid meshes will be 13 DCs.

You read one row left to right, the next read right to left. I think turning it upside down would be confusing.

What I do is start at the bottom of the graph, and work the first row (whichever direction, doesn't matter). Then, in pencil, I mark a '1' at the end of the row where I stopped.

Turn, work the next row in the OPPOSITE direction. At the end of that row I mark a '2' at the end of the row.

As I work, I put a ruler above my work, so the top row showing is the row I'm working on, and the only other rows I can see are the ones I've already worked. This keeps me oriented with the design.

As more rows are worked, even numbers will be marked on one side of the graph, odd ones on the other. This also ensures that I'm going the right direction when I pick up the piece later.

• 3 weeks later...

ok thanks for the replies...can you give me a pattern for the alphabet please.....one that isnt hard to do and an idea for a border...I am wanting to make one for a couple that is getting married in Sept...probably take me that long to make it...LOL...thanks everyone....great people on here.

Linda

you can do a search for a simple cross stitch alphabet or if you like if you give me the name and size and shape you are looking for in a pm i can design it for you today and email it back to you in PDF with starting instructions.

ok thank you.....I would like to have it done in welcome....and an idea as to what kinda thread to use...I like the gold metalic..not sure if that is how you spell it...but would that be ok....thanks for the help..very much appreciated.

Linda

Archived