New to thread crochet

joules

ive been learning to crochet with Dk wool and a 4.00 hook and have been realy happy. however i would like to try my hand at some thread crochet.

i have a selection of threads i bought for other hobbies, its called finca and is a perle thread in 5,8 and 12 sizes. the site i got them from says that the 5 crochets as a 10 and the 8 crochets as a 20.

what size hooks should i buy to start with while i try out as i realy like the look of the finer work :)

First let me tell you welcome to thread. It's wonderful and addictive.

Personally I never recommend the perle threads to a beginner as they are only 2 ply instead of 3 ply and the twist is looser. So do not judge working with thread by the threads you are using. Keep remembering that there is better thread out there designed just for crochet.

For size 5/10 thread I use a 1.65mm hook but any hook from a 2.0.- 1.5mm hook will work. Though for a beginner I would recommend a 1.9mm. It's slightly larger and will be easier for a beginner to handle. For size 8/20 thread I use a 1.4 mm hook. The normal range is 1.5-1.0mm

For a beginner I say start with the 5 thread and see how it goes. I always recommend starting with something you already know how to crochet. A square you have done before will make a nice little coaster in thread. It just much easier to focus on the thread when you aren't focusing on a new design also.

I do wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you make.

I agree with Katchkan, start out with size 3, or 5 threads and crochet something small. a motif, or a granny sqaure etc.. then go up to size 10 thread etc...and repeat the same pattern .

I don't like crocheting anything higher then size 30.

Have fun crocheting with threads and looking forward to pictures.

I'm new to thread crochet, too. I'm completely hooked (yes, pun intended). I started off with some DMC Baroque mercerized, and I'm finding it wonderful to work with, so you might try that. It's smooth and shiny but has a little bit of a "grip" to it, so that I'm finding it easier to get used to the tiny stitches.

Archived