Crochet Tree Of Life CAL

Shaylen

wow i would totally love to join in just not sure if I have the patience or time (2 kids 1&4 yrold) full time business student @ 15hrs and part time worker) but we all know the hardest job is the personal short-order cook/maid role for my hubby. ahhh its so darn tempting!!! ugh I will let u know soon.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooooh Shaylen, I likeeee the center part. Will you share it with us when you get the chance?

The yarn I picked is Lion's wool-ease, color is wheat. Can't wait to get started.:yay

Thank you....i love the color you chose...I will have to ask Amy about sharing the flower pattern...its out of a book but i did modify if for this.

That's gorgeous, Shaylen. :cheer:yay:cheer

Thank you Linda!!

Oh Shalen that's gorgeous!!!! You did a marvelous job. Please share your flowers with us. They're spectacular! :clap:clap

Thanks Cherri...Like i said i will ask Amy if its alright :hook

Shay .........thats beautiful.

We're still here in Florida............ and will be for a few more days... so.............I need to hit TLY here again and get some yarn to start this ghan. :hook

:heart:mug

Hi Tammy...hows it going down there??Do you know what color you want to use.

wow i would totally love to join in just not sure if I have the patience or time (2 kids 1&4 yrold) full time business student @ 15hrs and part time worker) but we all know the hardest job is the personal short-order cook/maid role for my hubby. ahhh its so darn tempting!!! ugh I will let u know soon.

It doesn't have to be done in a hurry...take as long as you like and feel free to join at any time,I know how busy life can get...i only have one still living at home but i remember what it was like when all 4 were still here :hug

I got my yarn and I'm hoping to start this today!!! :jumpyay:jumpyay I got light sage and I think that will be pretty. :manyheart I'M SO EXCITED!!!! :clap:lol

Way to go! I was looking at yarn yesterday and thinking the light sage or frosty green would look super nice.

I got my yarn and I'm hoping to start this today!!! :jumpyay:jumpyay I got light sage and I think that will be pretty. :manyheart I'M SO EXCITED!!!! :clap:lol

Yay :cheer Cant wait to see how it looks...I thought about sage green at first but then went with the Olive.

Ok Ladies i am done with the flower section...I really like how it turned out!!!I'm also trying to figure out my new camera so bare with me...i will try to take more when we have sun again :lol.This is layed out on my King size bed by the way!!

That is beautiful. I love the flowers you chose.

Does your camera have a "musuem" setting? Someone mentioned that to me and I've used that and it's great for indoor settings.

I think I know which yarn I want to use (some I have and then just buy a little more--Red Heart color: Cafe, it's a light brown). However, I started another major project so I'm going to be visiting this CAL and join when I get a chance.

Debbi

Debbi...mine doesn't have that setting.

So here is the question Ladies....what is the best camera out there...what do you use??...I really don't like my new one so DH said he would take it back tomorrow and get a better one...this one is a Sony Cybershot and i cant get good photos on it.

Debbi...mine doesn't have that setting.

So here is the question Ladies....what is the best camera out there...what do you use??...I really don't like my new one so DH said he would take it back tomorrow and get a better one...this one is a Sony Cybershot and i cant get good photos on it.

I have a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS and I love it! It's easy to use, takes nice pics and it uses regular AA batteries. It also takes video but I haven't tried that yet. :D

I love my cybershot. mine is a bit higher end but still not a DSL. Will get one when the prices come down. But both my kids have them too. All have rechargable batteries. Have you tried using the macro (the tulip looking setting) when you take a close up of crochet to get the stitches?

I would really like to do this, but have a projects lined up for now. It's a beautiful pattern and I too like the flower you chose to do. If this is still going when I'm done with my other projects, I'll join in. I'll definitely be a lurker :lurk though!

Good luck and I can't wait to see everyone's progress!

Just popping in to let you know that I did start the other day. I'm a few rows into where the trees start branching. When I get a little further along, I'll post a pic.

I must say that normally I'm completely bored with sc but with this, there's a wierd kind of excitement from watching the trees emerge. :lol It's truly bizarre and it really keeps your interest. :yes

My camera is an old one, a Kodak DX3700. It takes good distance shots but not so good closeups and only has the one setting. It will do me for now but someday I'd like to get one that has the ability to take closeups and telephoto. Good luck deciding. I'm still considering doing this in thread, but still have some other things to get through first.

I have a Kodak and find it very easy to use. it's several yrs old so I'm sure the newest Kodaks have more features for the same price. but mine has the macro setting which is great for closeups of stitches, things done in thread, etc., and it has several indoor, backlight, etc. settings. I got a Kodak because it seemed to be the easiest to understand the menu and different settings. My biggest advice for good photos is to have as much natural light as possible and if needed turn on all the room lights, and turn off the flash.

I would really like to do this, but have a projects lined up for now. It's a beautiful pattern and I too like the flower you chose to do. If this is still going when I'm done with my other projects, I'll join in. I'll definitely be a lurker :lurk though!

Good luck and I can't wait to see everyone's progress!

Feel free to join at any time...we will be here!!

Just popping in to let you know that I did start the other day. I'm a few rows into where the trees start branching. When I get a little further along, I'll post a pic.

I must say that normally I'm completely bored with sc but with this, there's a wierd kind of excitement from watching the trees emerge. :lol It's truly bizarre and it really keeps your interest. :yes

Oh...cant wait to see...i didn't get any done on mine yesterday because i was Knitting :blush but im half way on the second tree section.

As for the camera i am looking at the Canon PowerShot A1100-IS Green and the Kodak Easyshare CD82.Just have to decide which one and they both have the museum setting...its such a hard decision:think

I had a hard decision for a camera and luckily they talked about it here. Nikon was one of the choices and I found one. It was a bit expensive, almost $200, but so worth it. It's a Nikon CoolPix 210. I love that the battery is rechargable so I don't have to fiddle with others like my 35mm camera.

If the one's you're looking at uses a memory card, and should, see how much GB it takes and get one. You will want it. I tried without, but filled it up and then got a card. Plus you might be able to use a card read to just put the photos on your computer. My Netbook has a card slot and it fits and I just copy and paste onto my computer. This works great since I can't find the disk to use my camera and my last laptop lost the software I loaded on it.

Back on topic:

I started using my cafe for something else, but I wasn't set on that for the afghan. I hope to start it in 2010. I really like the fleck colors of yarn and RH has some. Can't wait to see more afghans started.

Debbi

I really like the winterberries, they seem to complement the trees better than the flowers in the pattern....I don't even like the way those look in the picture that is with the pattern. Are the winterberries out of the 63 Cables book? they look kind of familiar.

On the subject of cameras, another reason i got a Kodak is that it takes regular AA batteries. I got a charger and use the Kodak rechargeable batteries, but if I'm away from home and can't charge them, i can always just grab some batteries at a convenience store.

I really like the winterberries, they seem to complement the trees better than the flowers in the pattern....I don't even like the way those look in the picture that is with the pattern. Are the winterberries out of the 63 Cables book? they look kind of familiar.

On the subject of cameras, another reason i got a Kodak is that it takes regular AA batteries. I got a charger and use the Kodak rechargeable batteries, but if I'm away from home and can't charge them, i can always just grab some batteries at a convenience store.

Yes its in that book...cant remember what they are called but my DH calls them Winterberries.I didn't do the last row of them and i had to change the stitch count to get the right fit...I made the panel then whip-stitched it together....i love it.

Thanks for the tip on the camera...do the charge batteries last long??

Yes its in that book...cant remember what they are called but my DH calls them Winterberries.I didn't do the last row of them and i had to change the stitch count to get the right fit...I made the panel then whip-stitched it together....i love it.

Thanks for the tip on the camera...do the charge batteries last long??

Thanks for the berries info:hook

the rechargeable Kodak batteries do last really well. the ones I have now are a couple years old and they don't hold a charge as well as when they were new. but when they were newer we were able to take several hundred pics while on vacation, without charging.

ok so i have decided to go ahead with this afghan. I figured my gauge and am using the red heart Aran color just in case i end up froggin this one to no return.....honestly this will be the hardest project i've attempted yet. uuggghhh! I hope it goes well, i am on row 2 now. :cheer

What size hook r u ladies using? for my gauge it looks like a F hook, or am I crazy? That just seems so small to me.:think

Thanks for the berries info:hook

the rechargeable Kodak batteries do last really well. the ones I have now are a couple years old and they don't hold a charge as well as when they were new. but when they were newer we were able to take several hundred pics while on vacation, without charging.

Thanks for the info and just let me know if you need help on the berries!!

ok so i have decided to go ahead with this afghan. I figured my gauge and am using the red heart Aran color just in case i end up froggin this one to no return.....honestly this will be the hardest project i've attempted yet. uuggghhh! I hope it goes well, i am on row 2 now. :cheer

What size hook r u ladies using? for my gauge it looks like a F hook, or am I crazy? That just seems so small to me.:think

Yay :cheer cant wait to see what you have done...as for hook im using a J because when i tried to match gauge it never came out right and the smaller hooks made the height off and i think in this case that the height of the stitch is more important then the width so that the tree branches come out right.

Shaylen,

Any word on whether or not you can share the directions for your modified winterberries?

I love the way they look.

Im sorry i forgot...just sent her a message to find out...will let you know as soon as i hear back from her.

Ok i got a reply from Amy and this is what she says...And i did follow the pattern on the flower just added stitches in between....sorry Ladies :(

If anyone wants the pattern its in the 63 Cable stitches book.

Shay, it depends on what you mean by modified. If you mean you saw the flower in a book, then put the book away, and created something new totally on your own, that's okay.

If you used the flower section from the book as your base pattern and just made modifications to it, then no, that would be considered a derivative work, and we don't allow links to patterns we know have been created in that manner.

The only way we could allow your pattern to be posted or sent to other members via PM or email would be if you had express written permission from the book publisher, stating that you were not infringing upon their copyright.

Sorry about that! Is there any way that you can give people the information for where the original flower pattern was published, then describe your modifications in such a way that they'd still have to have that original flower pattern in order to be able to make the item?

Amy

Thanks Amy for the help!!

Archived