4TH Annual Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas - THANK YOU LETTER POST 319

badrhinogillett

Here's my second ghan of the year! Another AggieMay. Made with Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn. It measures about 35 inches across.

Kathryn,

Another lovely RR for the babies. I really like how you used more blue as it really sets off the RR afghan.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I know I was going to help last year and I did get some done just not sent out soooo I will definately help this year! BTW I found out I am preggo again (the last pregnancy was a tubal and was very hard to deal with the loss) and so far so good. I just heard the heart beat on Wednesday (170bpm) and I have another ultrasound on the 13th but all is going well. Anyways I dont want to start making things for the baby until I know what it is sooooo this will give me the opportunity to make baby stuff without making girly or boy things for this baby just yet :lol I do need your addy again though.

I have 3 skeins of Loops & Threads - 2 of 1 color and one of a contrasting one - ready to go for my next ghan.

I had planned to make a RR with that yarn (as I love doing them) - but now am thinking that I need some variety. so.... what do you think it should become?

I made my first diagonal boxstitch ghan and loved it so much that I'm about to finish my second. I just have to border and weave ends. Have you tried that one. Also, one I like is Monica Kennedy's quick stitch (or is it quick stripes)

Here's my second ghan of the year! Another AggieMay. Made with Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn. It measures about 35 inches across.

Very nice. Have you had a chance to wash anything made with Loops and Threads? I like the yarn so far but haven't put anything through the wash. I was wondering how it turns out.

Also, how much yarn did you need for that one?

Thanks Jenni - and congratulations on your pregnancy! Best Wishes to you! I'll send you a PM with my address.

Jennifer, haven't tried either one of those ghans... started the "Newbie" blanket from the project linus website -and think I"m going back to my beloved RR.

I've washes Loops N Threads and it's been fine. It's seriously my favorite new yarn!

Tampa Doll and Autum Nights 84 have a Holiday Elf! Both of them asked in their Holiday Wish List that someone make something for a charity here on the Ville.

Their elf heard them and picked the NICU as the charity to help. These two lovely - and oh so soft ghans - arrived today along with the hats and booties. The hats are in a variety of sizes to fit the smallest babies to one of a much healthier size.

Thank you so much to both Tampa Doll and Autumn Nights 84, for being so generous on their list as to think of someone else. Thank you so much to their elf for thinking of the NICU.

Here they are!

post-2886-135897494636_thumb.jpg

Oohh - Great news!

A friend here at work had mentioned in the past that she should start knitting or crocheting again and start helping. She actually told the women's group at her church about what we are doing, and they are going to contribute too!

Oohh - Great news!

A friend here at work had mentioned in the past that she should start knitting or crocheting again and start helping. She actually told the women's group at her church about what we are doing, and they are going to contribute too!

that is AWESOME!

Are we maybe going to push for 400 Kathryn? :eek:faint

Oh my, I'm so glad you all have inspired me to get an early start!

Well, I'm always thinking we should strive for more... so as soon as I said 300, a little voice in my head said "Oh, what if we got 400?!"

I just wasn't going to tell any of you that! :lol

I figured 400 was a good goal for 2011!

:eek :eek :eek

I better get busy. I like the idea of saving 400 for 2011.

I have 6 pieces of flannel all ready for me to start borders. I think I have 18 - 20 pieces left in the tote still needing some prep work. In a way it seems like doing the flannel blankies is cheating but a blanket is a blanket. And I've got to use this flannel for something. I'm not having any more babies. :D

:eek :eek :eek

I better get busy. I like the idea of saving 400 for 2011.

I have 6 pieces of flannel all ready for me to start borders. I think I have 18 - 20 pieces left in the tote still needing some prep work. In a way it seems like doing the flannel blankies is cheating but a blanket is a blanket. And I've got to use this flannel for something. I'm not having any more babies. :D

I have flannel, but I'm afraid to try and do borders on it because I'm afraid it won't come out even.

I am going to crank out some crocheted edged fleece blankets and I don't consider it cheating at all! I think they are warm and cozy and people like them. And, if I can get them done quickly - so much the better!

Mandii - I use a skip-stitch blade or the Edgerydoo and you can't fail!

I have the 6" and 12" edgery doo squares for fleece and they don't work on the flannel. The holes are too far apart. I need to see about ordering the one for flannel. However, I got to where I could use a small crochet hook and punch it through the fabric fairly evenly. I just use my sewing machine to zig zag around the edge, then trim the fabric as close to the zig zag as possible. Then wash to get all the frayed edges to where I can trim them. It takes some time for prep but I usually do all my zig zag and then trim a few at a time. That's why I have 6 ready to go and several left to prep.

I found out what my problem is with baby blankets. I always make them crib sized. No matter what size baby they are for. Since I have never had a child of my own..and only dealt with my husbands son and a friends daughter..who were both 8 lbs or larger babies...thats what I expect them to be. Guess I should downsize my baby-ghans.

Jenn - The babies in the NICU will come in all sizes. My son was 8 pounds. I saw babies that must have weighed only a pound - and there were babies that were several months up to a year old.

I make alot of 30 -35 inch wide ghans. Preemie ghans will be smaller and ghans for a one year old might be larger.

Make what makes you happy!

I have one question, what is an AggieMay RR ( I think I spelled that right)?

Where can I find a pattern for one that is simple and easy to follow?

Aggie May is a member here on Crochetville. She's written a round ripple pattern. If you PM her, she will give it to you. It's the Round Ripple (RR) that I've been doing.

While I consider this a NICU drive, I'm happy to accept ANYTHING you would like to make for a child of ANY AGE. My mother goes with me on delivery day and she brings items for older kids. So, basically, I"m asking for your help to bring a gift to any child that might be at the hospital. If you are moved to make something for a teenager - great. If you are compelled to make something for an infant - great!

This falls in line with the items for older kids. I had posted earlier about beaded/charm bookmarks and I still plan on doing those. My question is about charm necklaces. I was in Hobby Lobby today (a dangerous situation to say the least) and was looking at charms for bookmarks and I got the idea to do necklaces. I had done some similar for my neices and step-daughter for Christmas, so I thought why not for charity. I whipped these up this evening and figured I would get your input. Would you be interested in charm necklaces.

I make every effort to make sure that all crimps and clasps are attached securely but would be more than willing to put a label stating "Not intended for small children."

post-23834-135897495718_thumb.jpg

Archived