Fleece Blanket with Crochet Edging? How to punch evenly spaced holes?

miss emerald

Question

I had lunch at McDonalds today and while there I was the most beautiful baby blanket -- it was fleece with crochet edging on it. I think it was a shell stitch. The yarn was crocheted onto the blanket with a series of holes punched evenly around the blanket edge. I'd love to try that, but I have no idea what to use to punch the holes. Does anyone have any clue as to what I mean? Or can help? Thanks!

17 answers to this question

there's a product specifically made for that, called an edgerydoo, here is the website...http://www.edgerydoo.com/

you can do it yourself of course too, but i'm not sure about what the best way to go about that is...i'm sure someone else out there will be able to impart some wisdom :)

The only time I tried on of these I spent hours marking the fleece and making little snips in it with tiny scissors, it worked, but it was an awful lot of work. I'm glad to know that there are ways to make it easier!

And just so you know, there isn't a crochet hook sharp enough to poke through fleece, at least none that I found. My grandma used to crochet along the edge of flannel to make blankets, and that's how she did it.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I looked at the website for the edgerydoo; am I correct in assuming that it is a template but you need something else to punch/cut the actual holes with? I think I'll look into the rotary cutter idea-- I make a lot of fleece blankets for baby gifts and whatnot and have never tried using one of those (just scissors). I'd love to combine fleece and crochet. Off to Joanns now... it's the only craft store left near here (boo hoo). Happy holidays to all!

Edgerydoo comes with the awl to punch the holes. The inventor of it is here on Crochetville -Marlenecrochets.

I use both the Edgerydoo and the skipstitch blade and I love both products. I also use them together... using the edgerydoo form and running my skipstitch around the edge and not using the awl.

I think both are wonderful - I do alot of crocheted fleece and wouldnt' think of trying to do it without one of the products!

I cheated - I wrote Jimbo about making a specialty hook to shortcut needing an awl. He wrote back and he's working on it. The only thing I'll have to do is to make sure that my stitches are even. I can't wait to try it out!!! (Dishtowels - here I come!)

I go to the dollar store - they have some lovely baby blankets. I use their thread edging as a base for my single crochet around the blanket and then I put on a pretty edge from there. It comes out really nice!!! I have made tons of them for charity and the hospitals.

I also have a skip stitch blade but have not had a chance to use it yet. That is on my 2010 project list.

I ordered a back issue dated Oct/Nov 2006 of Crochet Today and it arrived today. It has a pattern for a beautiful fleece blanket with a

ruffled crocheted edging. They started it by embroidering a blanket

stitch all around the fleece blanket edge which then gives a base to insert

your crochet hook to start your edging. This would be done with a

large needle and embroidery thread first before you crochet your edging.

My very first post - and something I just saw today! :cheer

Some people using a sewing machine (set on bigger stitch - longer stitch). They make a seam around that blanket on that blanket edge. That is done to mark even spaces between crochet stitches. They do rip out that machine stitch after is no longer needed. I never try that.

Krys

13 hours ago, CLATINDANCER@AOL.COM said:

badrhinogillett, question when crocheting an edge on a fleece, let say, baby blanket and you want to do a shell stitch evenly around the blanket - how do you know how many holes, evenly, to do for the pattern to come out evenly, and not have 1 or 2 or 3 extra holes at the end?  Can you assist with this question.  

The post is dated 2009 and person may not be active on the forum. 
The holes created are very small, I have a rotary hole maker so if you bypass with crochet shells the holes would become invisible.