Starch or Stiffener

LadiBug329

Question

I'm using yarn to make some snowflakes - 2 weights - RHSS and baby yarn. The pattern is written from the UK and suggests using non-aerosol starch.

:thinkI know NOTHING about starch, so I went to Wallyworld, where they only carry aerosol starch and then an aerosol stiffener. What is the difference, and which should I use? What is the difference in aerosol & non-aerosol (I know the obvious pressure/no pressure, & ozone protection)

And would it either make a difference if I was using thread?

4 answers to this question

You should be able to find liquid starch in a bottle or dry starch in the supermarket. They are, or can be made to be, stiffer than the spray stuff in a can (doesn't matter what kind of propellant), which is pretty wimpy stuff.

I have never tried to starch yarn. Be aware that if you put enough starch on the yarn to make it stiff, it will look somewhat different. For snowflakes with thread, I've used a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, it works well but makes the yarn a little dull looking (which isn't a big deal IMO with white snowflakes).

You can use equel amouts of white sugar and water or if not that you could use liquid hairspray you dont like and put it in a bowl and saturate what you crocheted to make sure its all wet and spread out to let dry.

You can use equel amouts of white sugar and water or if not that you could use liquid hairspray you dont like and put it in a bowl and saturate what you crocheted to make sure its all wet and spread out to let dry.

Hairspray! Wow, wish someone would have said that sooner! I threw several bottles out that I did not like!:eek

Archived