Pressed Flowers Afghan

Mom w/a Motif

I crocheted this for some friends of ours who have kind of adopted our 17 year old son as their unofficial grandson. (They are my parents' age.) They take him up to their cabin in Utah (well, to help work on it, but... he has a lot of fun, too... :yes They have Quads, and their daughter lives up there- she has horses...).

I thought, "I should crochet them an afghan for their cabin"; one day (Oct 31st, to be exact). :hook I finished it last night. I wanted to hurry and get it done, while we still have cold weather here/before they go up to their cabin again. I think this is the fastest I have done an afghan. (Besides kids/baby ones...) It measures 42.5x60. :)

I used the "Pressed Flowers Afghan" pattern from "The Ultimate Book of Scrap Afghans" by American School of Needlework (produced by Jean Leinhauser). It's also similar to the Catherine's Wheel pattern in my Encyclopedia of stitches (something or other) book... Some similar afghans are: the Colorful Wheels Afghan from the Lionbrand site. (It looks somewhat similar, but isn't the same stitch...) Still looking for more... :) A more similar one is the Star Shell Afghan (there are two Star Shell afghan patterns, it's the one for Project Linus) from crochet pattern central, under afghans. I don't know why I can put the lionbrand link in but not this one, but.... :think Hope that helps. :) I found another link, it is called Catherine's Wheel.

If anyone knows what this stitch is called or knows of a free online pattern, feel free to post it here. Thanks!

Thanks Linda (crochetingfool) for the link; I hope you don't mind that I am adding it here for easier reference for everyone :hook : http://poppalina.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/05/quilt_reprise.html

post-20-135897483978_thumb.jpg

post-20-135897483986_thumb.jpg

post-20-135897484265_thumb.jpg

I love this pattern. It's very fun and unique to crochet. I have one started that I won't be able to pick up again until after the new year...can't wait. Yours is beautiful!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. :hug

Pam, I would love to see yours. I want to start another one. I just love this pattern, and the afghan is so warm. :c9 My husband said yesterday that I shouldn't give it away; he wants one, and then I could make myself a matching one. :P:manyheart

It's in "The Ultimate Book of Scrap Afghans" by the American School of Needlework. Published by Jean Leinhauser. :yes I was trying to find a similar stitch on CPC to post. It's also called 'Catherine's Wheel' in my Encyclopedia of Stiches (something or other) book. I'll look for a similar stitch on CPC again.... didn't have much time to do it yesterday. :)

How pretty and colorful! I'm sure they will just love it! May I ask where you found the pattern?

I added this information; plus a couple of places where you could find a similar pattern, to my first post. HTH :hook

What a great afghan, Tina! -Perfect gift of comfort for the comfort the family has brought to your son. Beautifully done!

Archived