Fedora made with crochet thread

CrochetDad

I had this idea for a hat made from crochet thread. I didn't want a floppy hat, so I knew I'd have to use more than one strand of thread, so I went to my stash (my wife makes me keep it in the garage, now :think) picked out several colors at random and started crocheting. No pattern, just winging it.

Here is the result using a G (4 mm) hook and 5 strands of #10 crochet thread in red, orange, yellow, purple and pale blue. The result is striking: (more pics on my Flickr account - link in signature)

post-13211-13589748198_thumb.jpg

post-13211-135897481985_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the nice replies.

How do you keep your brim so stiff? It looks fab!

With 5 strands of thread and a G hook. The only thing I did to it was to steam block the brim. There are no stiffeners or wires used.

I do crochet rather tightly, especially when I know I need more stiffness.

Gene, it sounds like you need to make more things for your wife! Maybe then she'd let you keep your yarn in the house! :lol

The fedora is exactly what I'd expect from you: perfect! beautiful! artistic! fantastic!

:cheer

Well, she doesn't wear (or like) hats, so that's out. I've been trying to make a cardigan for sometime, but just haven't found the right project for it. Maybe I'm just too particular! (or peculiar :rofl).

In her defense, our daughter recently graduated from college and came back home until she gets settled, so I lost the "spare" room. Actually, when she moves out again, I'm thinking pool table...

Archived