3 single crochet in one stitch

emptysky

Question

This is a really stupid question I'm sure but I can't understand these directions for edging on a washcloth. I have learned to crochet from books and online videos so if it's not covered in either of those, I don't have a way to figure out what it means.

"Round 1: Chain 1, turn, 3 single crochet in first stitch (corner made), single crochet in each stitch across to last stitch, work 3 single crochet in last stitch (corner made); turn to work along the edge of rows, single crochet evenly spaced along the edges of row; turn to work along opposite side of beginning chain, work 3 single crochet in first chain along opposite side (corner made), single crochet in each chain along opposite side to last chain, work 3 single crochet in last chain (corner made); turn to work along the edge of rows, single crochet evenly spaced along the edges of row; join with slip stitch in first single crochet."

What does it mean to do 3 single crochet in one stitch? I have very little time available to crochet and I've wasted most of it this evening trying to figure out what this means. thanks for any help you can give.

8 answers to this question

I would like to suggest that you google "The Art of Crochet by Theresa" or google "learn how to crochet" on You Tube by Theresa and you will learn a lot because she has video's showing how to do the stitch and you're probably like most people and learn by seeing it done.

Good luck and let us know how you do with it. :)

Working 3 sc in one stitch is a way often used to turn corners on square or rectangular pieces in crochet. It helps square off the corner. You are probably working one sc in each stitch or row to a corner, then 3 sc in one st for the corner. Yes, they will fit.

Jean Leinhauser

Yeah that is what I am having trouble imagining, fitting 3 sc onto one stitch. But if it's at the corner, I guess they will be going in 3 different directions, one pointing up, one at a 45 degree angle and one pointing to the side. I was picturing this being on the main row, but if it's at the very corner then it might fit. I will start back again with it tonight.

Michael's Gram I am subscribed to Theresa on youtube... 2 minutes of video explains more than several minutes reading, if I can find what I need a video of.

Thanks!

Yeah that is what I am having trouble imagining, fitting 3 sc onto one stitch.... i

Often, the best way to see if some thing works, is to try doing it. Actually crochet 3 single crochets in the next stitch and see if it works... If you try doing it, instead of imagining it, the instructions may well make more sense.

This was a plain dishcloth from Lion Brand's website, it was all double crochet and then the edging. The way the ends of double crochet go with the chains made the edging wavy and not too attractive, but it was going to go up on a shelf folded for decoration so it didn't matter. After that I did a grit stitch one that turned out much better. Thanks for the help!

Archived