Sign in to follow this  
RebeccaVelasquez

bizarre terms

Question

okay, i can pick up an instruction book and make great crochet things, but being on this board and reading some of the 'hook slang' i'm confused!

frogging?

felting?

blog?

:scratchchin

any others that anyone would like to explain would be great :fluffy

5 answers to this question

Hi, Rebecca! Glad you asked! :bigsmile

Frogging: When you rip out work you have crocheted. Called frogging because you rip it, rip it, rip it, and a frog says, ribbit, ribbit, ribbit.

Felting: You know when you accidentally put your favorite 100% wool sweater in the washer and it comes out just the right size for your toddler? That's felting except we do it on purpose. Felting shrinks the item and obscures the stitches; the resulting fabric resembles felt. You crochet the item (bags and slippers are popular) larger than you want with wool that will shrink and wash it in the washing machine on hot until it's the right size.

Blog: Short for web log. An online journal or diary. You can blog about anything you want, but around here, most of us blog about crochet.

We're happy to define more terms. Just let us know! :bigsmile

Rebbeca,

I have been crocheting for almost four years now, but I didn't know what frogging was until after I came to crochetville shortly after it started.

I never had the rip it rip it explained to me though! ;)

Amber

I was helped by this post! :) I know what "frogging" is, and I know what a "blog" is, but I was just getting ready to ask, "What is felting?" :scratchchin Thanks!!

Rachel

www.crochetpatterncentral.com