in time for Christmas??

eyrthmother1

this is my 1st time doing this, but I was thinking of starting a CAL to make an afghan using the sampler squares that Donna (smoothfox) designed for Christmas. the patterns can be found here .. anyone else interested??

I've made some already, and they are designed to fit together, are easy to make and can make 2 or 3 in one day (if it's not way too crazy a day).

a few of the squares could be used for different themes also (the peace, and heart for example... charities, valentines day, etc.)

Sandy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to join you in this, but probably won't have it done by Christmas. I made a mitten square last night. :yay It may take me a little while to get enough made for a ghan, as I have a lot of other things going too, but I will post my progress as I go along. I am using scrap balls of yarn for my squares as I need to get them all used up.

Hi to my Besties Stacy and Colleen. I have made my first one and it was the mitten. I believe they turn out to be about 8 inches Colleen. I have to put the border on it but will measure mine when the border is on and let you know. Thanks for the GL wish Stacy, as I will prolly needed it, as I get started on something and then start something else but I am gonna try to make that my New Year's Resolution to curb that habit :lol.

i believe they are about 8" square. and had a thought, i know we might end up a bit "dont even want to think about xmas 2010 until oct 2010", lol, but could also try to carry this over until after the new yr. plan to make the ghans for next xmas.

a ghan fully of each sq (1 of all mittens for 1, 1 of all wreaths for another, etc) could also be an idea. hmmm

Sandy

I would like to join. I been trying to think of something to do. I have so many worsted yarn that I want to use. I know it is the 2nd of December. I just saved the pattern. I now picking the yarn and out the colors a side.

i believe they are about 8" square. and had a thought, i know we might end up a bit "dont even want to think about xmas 2010 until oct 2010", lol, but could also try to carry this over until after the new yr. plan to make the ghans for next xmas.

a ghan fully of each sq (1 of all mittens for 1, 1 of all wreaths for another, etc) could also be an idea. hmmm

Sandy

I'm going to join you with my eye on next Christmas, Sandy. This would be a nice project to plug away at through the year. I enjoy whipping up an 8 inch square every now and then. I was thinking I didn't have any scrap red yarn, but I have some burgundy which would look really nice with dark green. Hmmm, I may be with you sooner than I thought!

I would like to join. I been trying to think of something to do. I have so many worsted yarn that I want to use. I know it is the 2nd of December. I just saved the pattern. I now picking the yarn and out the colors a side.

not too late at all, please join us. :D

Sandy

I'm going to join you with my eye on next Christmas, Sandy. This would be a nice project to plug away at through the year. I enjoy whipping up an 8 inch square every now and then. I was thinking I didn't have any scrap red yarn, but I have some burgundy which would look really nice with dark green. Hmmm, I may be with you sooner than I thought!

lol. they do have a way of luring you into doing them :)

sandy

• 2 weeks later...

well, 6 squares done. worked on crocheting them together tonight. using a flat braid to join with white. thinking i may make it just a lap throw.

sandy

you can do it, scooby. 1 down. are you going to do each design? or are you going to do only 1? a combination of 2 or 3 of them??

i have 6 different squares, and think i will keep that up using various shades of red, green and gold.

sandy

Oh I love these squares- I think I'll be with Colleen on that I'll join.....but they will be for next Christmas- I have soooo much on my plate right now...gifts all not made, working full time and then some...I'll have to remember to copy these patterns after work today!

Im in too but the christmas deadline is gonna pass too before im done lol.. i have lots of whips too. but this is a nice.. project to wip out a fw at a time when im bored n just do not know what i want to work on.

remember that some of the squares CAN be used for other holidays. the candle for hanakha (sorry for misspelling), the heart for valentines day. the peace symbol. etc.

I did get the 6th 1 connected, and did 2 solid whites and get them connected. need 1 more white then repeat the squares i have but in reverse (so tops all at the white). so 7 more squares, then a border and i will have a lapghan :D

sandy

Wow, Sandy, your hooks are flying! I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Scooby, I am the same way! I start something, then something else catches my eye, then something else, then something else...pretty soon I have 1 piece of each thing just sitting around. Wouldn't it be interesting to join them all sometime and see what turns up? :rofl

Colleen and Joanne, I'm with you- this is something I may work on throughout the year for Christmas next year. MIL or dh's aunt would probably like it. :yes

WTG Sandy! I can't wait to see it! Are the white squares solid? I haven't started on it yet, but hope to sometime soon. Please post a pic of yours :clap

yes, the whites are solid w/o a pict. in them. I just followed the base crochet and number of rows to make them. then did the border and crocheted them on.

didn't get any made tonight, long day.

Sandy

Hey ladies, I know it is almost christmas but is it too late to join? I have a baby blanket and about four washclothes to get done for christmas. The clothes, thankgoodness, don't have to be done untill new years. :yes

ETA: Sorry I miss read the first post!! I am just trying to get projects done for christmas...I don't need a new one. Again, I'm sorry. :blush

• 2 weeks later...

:hi Sandy. How is the lapghan coming along? Did you get it done in time for Christmas?

I made my first square just now--the Christmas tree in forest green! Very quick and easy. I haven't done the border row yet...not sure what colour that will be yet. This will be a great project to plug away at throughout the year and a great gift for someone next Christmas!

:hi Sandy. How is the lapghan coming along? Did you get it done in time for Christmas?

I made my first square just now--the Christmas tree in forest green! Very quick and easy. I haven't done the border row yet...not sure what colour that will be yet. This will be a great project to plug away at throughout the year and a great gift for someone next Christmas!

sadly, for me, i didn't get it finished. it was to be mine, so it's ok. I also didn't finish a thermal ghan for my mom. (in best mr rogers voice, "can we say, 'bit off more than i can chew?' ")

so, now i am aiming to get it done by next xmas, lol. and maybe do a heart 1 for valentines day. :D

are you going to do all the squares in green? if so, what about a red border on the squares? i am using white for mine, though.

have fun w/ the squares and ghan.

Sandy

That is too bad, Sandy, but something to look forward to for next year! Right now I am planning to do the trees and wreaths in green, the candy canes and hearts in burgundy, and the bells and mittens in a third colour (maybe gold or a rich beige?). I think I'll edge in off-white. I like your idea of the solid white squares here and there too. I got two trees and one-and-a-third wreaths done tonight. They don't use very much yarn either, which is fantastic because my yarn budget is tight.

The heart idea for valentines would be great! I'm thinking the hearts and peace signs in groovy colours would be super fun for a little girl too! That idea is growing in my head :lol

Thanks for starting the CAL. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress. I'm going to be working on this for a while.

thanks, colleen. the peace sign idea is a good 1. I may have to borrow it at some point. maybe in redheart bikini. :D in my head, i'm seeing it w/ a black border (due to black lights, and it would make the bikini color stand out more)

must not start a new ghan now.......must not start a new ghan now......(trying to keep myself in check :D)

Sandy

Archived