Ribbed Ski Hat: Dot Matthews (bythehook)

bythehook

Ribbed Ski Hat

© 1/30/05 Dorothy “Dot” Matthews. All rights reserved.

Originally published at http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com

This pattern is intended for personal use only. You may do what you want with the items you make, as long as you give Dot credit as the designer, with the following restrictions: you may not sell your items online and you may not sell to retail or wholesale stores or businesses. You are welcome to direct people to this pattern by posting a link to it. This pattern may not be posted on any other site or distributed in any other manner.

post-23-13589747884_thumb.jpg

size: Adult 22" to 24"

Hat measures 14" from top of head to bottom of neck ribbing

MATERIALS USED:

K Hook

Red Heart Supersaver, ww 4 ply, approximately 5 oz camouflage

blunt needle

Gauge: 7 rows = 2", 6 sts = 2"

Abbreviations:

ch - chain

sc - single crochet

ea - each

st - stitch

sl st - slip stitch

NOTE: do not join rounds, place a marker in the first stitch to count rounds. Move the marker up at the end of each round.

NOTE: number in ( ) at end of rounds is not an instruction, it is stating the number of stitches for the round.

NOTE: ch-32 space refers to the space made in the previous row by chaining 32 and skipping 32 stitches.

NOTE: sc over the ch-32 space means to crochet around the chain and not into the individual stitches of the chain.

ROUND 1: ch 2, 12 sc in first ch. do not join round. (12 sc)

ROUND 2: 2 sc in ea st around. (24 sc)

ROUND 3: 1 sc in ea st around (24 sc)

ROUND 4: *1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. (36 sc)

ROUND 5: 1 sc in ea st around. (36 sc)

ROUND 6: *1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. (48 sc)

ROUND 7: 1 sc in ea st around. (48 sc)

ROUND 8: *1 sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. (60 sc)

ROUND 9: 1 sc in ea st around. (60 sc)

ROUND 10: *1 sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st. Repeat from * around. (72 sc)

ROUNDS 11 thru 20: 1 sc in ea st around. (72 sc)

ROUND 21: sc in next 20 sts, ch 32, sk next 32 sts, sc in next 20 sts. (40 sc and 32

ch)

ROUND 22: sc in next 20 sts, 32 sc over the ch-32 space, sc in next 20 sts. (72 sc)

ROUNDS 23 thru 28: 1 sc in ea st around. (72 sc) Do not break off at the end of round 28.

For a longer hat, add more rounds before the ribbing, for a shorter hat, do fewer rounds before the ribbing.

NECK RIBBING

NOTE: neck ribbing is worked in rows in back loops only.

NOTE: for longer neck ribbing, make the beginning chain longer.

NOTE: mark the last stitch of row 3 so you can find the stitch placement of the first stich of row 2.

ROW 1: ch 16, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 14 ch across. sl st in base of ch 16, sl st in next st. Turn, DO NOT CH 1. (15 sc)

ROW 2: working in back loops only, sc in next 15 sts, ch 1, turn. (15 sc)

ROW 3: working in back loops only, sc in next 15 sts, sl st in next 2 sts of last round of hat body. Turn, DO NOT CH 1. (15 sc)

Repeat rows 2 and 3 around last row of hat body.

At the end of last row of ribbing, and working thru back loops and opposite side of foundation ch, sl st in next 15 sts to close the seam.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

post-23-135897478833_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Dot!

I am a beginner and I'm having quite a bit of trouble understanding this pattern. How do you crochet over/around the ch 32? Do I crochet into the sc stitches that are under the chain? I'm really new at this.

Hi Dot!

I am a beginner and I'm having quite a bit of trouble understanding this pattern. How do you crochet over/around the ch 32? Do I crochet into the sc stitches that are under the chain? I'm really new at this.

you wouldn't crochet into each stitch....just over the chain itself.

This is one for my hubby and brothers!

• 2 months later...
:) When I first saw the pictures of the hat, I saw the knobs of the dresser behind the hat and the way the light hits those knobs it looks like tiny crochet hooks. So I was trying to figure out what those hooks were there for, then I sat back and looked at the whole picture and realized what they really were. :) Thanks for the pattern, my son-in-law loves the hat.

Very cool, and it looks very warm too! My snowboarding pals and I could definitely use these hats up in the mountains! Thanks for sharing! :)

Archived