What is the difference between........

I need some help!!!! :think

After all the years of crochet/knit I've done and all the creations I have made, I am now wondering if I have called them the proper names.

What is the difference between:

afghan....... blanket....... throw

Is it just terminology or is there a real difference between them?

If there is a real difference, what is it?

Thanks for your help. :manyheart

Well, a "throw" is smaller.... but it's not for babies....a small afghan intended for babies is commonly called a baby blanket.

I've always kind of figured that an "afghan" and a "blanket" are the same - except that by saying "afghan" it's more descriptive. A "blanket" can be made from anything.

That's my take on it, anyway. :shrug

To me, a blanket is larger than a throw or an afghan, unless there is a qualifying adjective, such as "baby blanket". To me, a blanket is something that must hang over the edge of the bed as a bedspread does. A throw is something one can reach for easily and toss off easily.

But, maybe these terms are like "soda", "soda pop", and "pop".

I've never been able to decide if a throw and an afghan are the same thing, the same size, or ???

I do think of a lap blanket or lap robe as being smaller than a throw or an afghan.

Perhaps an afghan was originally made with a particular kind of stitch, and the name is now generic for a throw.

Maybe one of the historians will post.

According to the dictionary:

blanket:a large, rectangular piece of soft fabric, often with bound edges, used esp. for warmth as a bed covering

afghan: a soft woolen blanket,crocheted or knitted.....

the basic difference : to be an afghan it must be crocheted or knitted. That requirement is not specified for a blanket.A blanket usually has binding around the edges, an afghan does not.

and finally:

throw: a light blanket, as for use when reclining on a sofa; afghan

so saith the dictionary

Just putting my 2 cents in,lol

To me a throw can be a babies blanket except heavier yarns for throws and lighter yarns for babies blanket. While an afghan can be big to cover people and put over a bed to cover it or regular size to just cover one's self. I think that's called a throw.

Y.Marie

Adding my 2 cents here, the way I see it is .....

A blanket is big. Big enough to cover a bed and hang over the edges. (depends on the bed)

An afghan is your standard sized crochet piece. (4x6 ft)

A throw is smaller than an afghan. Something you can 'throw' over you easily. (3x5)

A lapghan and a baby ghan to me are the same size. (3x4 feet)

These are the standards that I work to. Everyone has a different idea of what's what.

To me a throw is something used on a peice of furnature i.e. bed or sofa. A blanket is used on a person to snuggle into. I only learned about 'afghans' here as we do not call blankets afghans in this part of the UK - not sure about other parts of the UK!! :hook

Afghan: crochet or knit from yarn (wool or acrylic), sizes can vary: 35 (+/-) in. (baby). 3 1/2 X 5 ft. (child/teen). 5 X 6 ft. (adult). Can be square or rectangle.

Blanket: piece of material made from woven threads (cotton, wool, etc.) with ribbon bound edges. Same sizes as afghans.

Lap/Throws: personal afghan/blanket, just big enough for 1. 3 X 5 ft. Thrown over the lap, legs or shoulders.

Quilt: 2 blankets sewn together with filler in between. Mostly made from scraps of material sewn together in unique patterns. Same sizes as afghans.

I don't care what you call them, if it keeps you warm and toasty :manyheart, that's all that counts :lol

Ellie 13

I have never thought of a blanket (except for baby blanket) as something made from yarn, to me that is an afghan. A throw in my mind could be crocheted, knitted or made of fabric, but smaller in size than an afghan or blanket. Then a lapghan to me is a small afghan. I think baby blanket speaks for itself.

Archived