A Ribbon Runs Thru It Bookmark (3 images)

champygirl

A Ribbon Runs Thru It Bookmark

post-11825-135897474625_thumb.jpg

Copyright to champygirl November 18, 2009

Materials:

Size 10 thread
Size 7 steel hook (1.65mm)
Needle (to weave in ends)
Ribbon 1/8”w inch (or 30mm)

Finish size: About 11”h x ¾”w inches

Directions:

Rnd 1: Ch101, 1 dc in 5th chain from hook (the 4 left free counts as part of starting chain and 1st dc of rnd), [Ch1, skip next chain, 1 dc in each of the next 2 chains] Do this 32 times.
(32-ch2 spaces, 33 groups of 2 dc) (or 66 dc)

Note: Rnd 2 is started in last dc made and then on other side of beginning chain. Only work into actual free loop when specified.

Rnd 2: Ch2, 2 dc in last dc made, sl st in next free loop of starting chain, ch2, 2 dc in same loop, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 32 times, skip next free loop, sl st in next chain, ch2, 2 dc in same chain, sl st in first dc, ch2, 2 dc in same dc, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 32 times, join with sl st to same dc as first ch2 and 2 dc are worked into.
(68 groups of sl st, ch2, 2dc)

Finish off and weave in ends.

Weave ribbon through ch1 spaces. (I usually work right from the ribbon spool, that way I don’t have to worry about measuring the ribbon), when you have the ribbon weaved in and the ribbon ends are to the length you want then, cut ribbon from spool.

Notes:

If worried about ribbon slipping out, you can add a couple dabs of glue at the ends of the bookmark (crochet part) it self and glue it onto ribbon. Just make sure its dry all the way before using.

If you want something a little different try ch3, sl st in 2nd chain from hook, 2 dc in same ch1 space, sl st in next ch1 space instead of ch2, 2dc in same space, sl st in next ch1 space. Ch3 and sl st in 2nd chain from hook will create a picot (this will create a add point to the rounded edging).

For the black and tan bookmarks I just started chaining out 83, then 1 dc in 5th chain from hook and then [ch1, skip next chain, 1 dc in each of the next 2 chains] Repeat this across. This gave me 26-ch1 spaces. This bookmark can easily be adjusted to be any size. Just work with ch5+a multiple of 6. This means that if you want it longer add by 6 chains, if you want it shorter minus by 6 chains. Just make sure you have an even amount of ch1 spaces.

This bookmark can easily be made into a join as you go afghan, made with worsted weight yarn. Check out post 9.

Enjoy!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl November 18, 2009. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. It is free for a reason. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

post-11825-135897474614_thumb.jpg

post-11825-13589747462_thumb.jpg

Thank you for sharing this pattern. Like someone else said, it's so simple and makes a great present or a little something special to put inside a Christmas card, birthday card, or even just to include with a letter! I look forward to making quite a few of these - they'll make great RAOKs! :)

Thank you again!

Thank you everyone!!!:manyheart

that is so pretty. Makes me long for the old days when I could do thread.

Wonder what I could do with it :think in yarn ?

This bookmark can easily be made into a join as you go afghan. Just leave out the ribbon and work with worsted weight yarn (like redheart) and I hook (if using a lighter weight yarn just use recommended hook size on yarn label.

Note: As in bookmark pattern this is also work in a ch5+multiple of 6 and can be easily adjusted to be bigger and smaller. For directions sake I’m going to start off with the same chain amount as bookmark.

Different Stitches:

Ch2, 2dc shell: Sl st in next st, ch2, 2 dc in same st

Double Crochet Halfway (DCH)-Yarn over, insert hook in specified stitch, yarn over draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops. (this should leave 2 loop on your hook)

Strip 1:

Row 1: Ch101, 1 dc in 5th chain from hook (the 4 left free counts as part of starting chain and 1st dc of rnd), [Ch1, skip next chain, 1 dc in each of the next 2 chains] Do this 32 times.

Note: Rnd 2 is started in last dc made and then on other side of beginning chain. Only work into actual free loop when specified.

Row 2: Ch2, 2 dc in last dc made, sl st in next free loop of starting chain, ch2, 2 dc in same loop, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 32 times, skip next free loop, sl st in next chain, ch2, 2 dc in same chain, sl st in first dc, ch2, 2 dc in same dc, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 32 times, join with sl st to same dc as first ch2 and 2 dc are worked into.

Strip 2:

Row 1: Ch101, 1 dc in 5th chain from hook (the 4 left free counts as part of starting chain and 1st dc of rnd), [Ch1, skip next chain, 1 dc in each of the next 2 chains] Do this 32 times.

Row 2: Ch2, 2 dc in last dc made, sl st in next free loop of starting chain, ch2, DCH in same free loop, (this is where you start joining strip 2 to strip 1) make sure right side of strip 1 is facing you, insert hook in first dc made of (ch2, 2dc) on the last side shell before shell on row end of first strip, yarn over and draw through the dc and 2 loops on hook, 1 dc in same free loop on strip 2, [sl st in next ch1 space on Strip 2, ch2, DCH in same ch1 space, insert hook in first dc made of next (ch2, 2dc shell) on Strip 1, yarn over and draw through dc and 2 loops, 1 dc in same ch1 space on Strip 2] Do this 32 times, (after this your only working in strip 2), skip next free loop, sl st in next chain, ch2, 2 dc in same chain, sl st in first dc, ch2, 2 dc in same dc, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 32 times, join with sl st to same dc as first ch2 and 2 dc are worked into.

You should now have 2 strips joined together. To keep making afghan wider (or taller) just follow the direction for Strip 2 over and over again until you have as many strips as you want. When joining strips you will always be working into the previous or latest strip you made. (Example: Then next strip you make will be Strip 3 so you would join in to Strip 2)

If you want a wider strip:

Note: Instructions written is for a swatch to give an example. The strip is worked in a ch5+multiple of 6 just like bookmark, so to enlarge it just add by 6 or do Rnd 1 of bookmark.

Row 1: Ch29, 1 dc in 5th chain from hook (the 4 chains left free count as first dc and part of starting chain), [ch1, skip next chain, 1 dc in each of the next 2 chains] Do this 8 times, ch4 and turn.

(18dc and 8- ch1 spaces) (The last ch4 made counts as a first dc and ch1 of row 2)

Row 2: [2 dc in next ch1 space, ch1] Do this 8 times, skip next dc and work one dc into first dc of row 1, ch3 and turn.

(18dc and 9-ch1 spaces) (ch3 counts as first dc of row 3)

Row 3: 1 dc in ch1 space, [ch1, 2 dc in next ch1 space] Do this 7 times, ch1, 1 dc in next ch1 space, 1 dc in last dc. Do not turn.

(18 dc, 9 ch1 spaces)

Note: If you want it wider (disregard the Do not turn and end row 3 with a ch4 and turn.) just keep repeating Row 2 and 3 until you get desired width.

Note: When working in row ends do not sl st into sides of dc, your actually going to working into the dc themselves (the space in between the dc).

Row 4: Ch2, 2 dc in last dc made, sl st in same dc on row 2 as last dc of row 3 is worked into, ch2, 2 dc in same st, sl st in last dc made of row 1, ch2, 2 dc in same st, sl st in free loop of starting chain, ch2, 2 dc in same st. [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 8 times, skip next free loop, sl st in next chain, ch2, 2 dc in same chain, sl st in first dc made on row 1, ch2, 2 dc in same st, sl st in next dc, ch2, 2 dc in same st, sls t in first dc made on row 3, ch2, 2 dc in same st, [sl st in next ch1 space, ch2, 2 dc in same ch1 space] Do this 8 times, join with sl st to same dc as (ch2, 2dc) is worked into.

(24 shells, (sl st, ch2, 2dc))

• 8 months later...

Hi -

I need some help on this beautiful bookmark. I have been making the shorter ones (black & tan) in your picture.

My ends are not looking right. I am not understanding the instructions on what to do when you get to each of the ends:

skip next free loop, sl st in next chain

Love these bookmarks - they are so beautiful, especially if I could get them to turn out like yours!! Thank you :D

Dear kathypinaz,

I hope this diagram helps and thank you for trying the pattern out. :yes

In the diagram I used yarn and made it shorter. Just click on the image and you should get a bigger image.

post-11825-135897563038_thumb.jpg

Hi -

I need some help on this beautiful bookmark. I have been making the shorter ones (black & tan) in your picture.

My ends are not looking right. I am not understanding the instructions on what to do when you get to each of the ends:

skip next free loop, sl st in next chain

Love these bookmarks - they are so beautiful, especially if I could get them to turn out like yours!! Thank you :D

Dear kathypinaz,

I hope this diagram helps and thank you for trying the pattern out. :yes

In the diagram I used yarn and made it shorter. Just click on the image and you should get a bigger image.

[ATTACH]25406[/ATTACH]

You are so helpful. Thank you very much for doing this diagram. It helps me to see where the stitches need to be. You are wonderful. I am getting ready to start another one. Now it will look just like it should. :cheer

Thank you again for your help!!

Archived