Best yarn for bedspread

ShellStitch

Question

Hi everyone! I want to crochet a bedspread for a twin size bed to give as a gift. I have used Red Heart Classic and also Super Saver in the past for bedspreads, but I was not happy with the end results. What kind of yarn do you recommend? :manyheart Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Hi everyone! I want to crochet a bedspread for a twin size bed to give as a gift. I have used Red Heart Classic and also Super Saver in the past for bedspreads, but I was not happy with the end results. What kind of yarn do you recommend? :manyheart Thanks!

I like Bernat or Caron myself. They are not very expensive and are a lot softer than Red Heart SS and come in a large variety of colors.

I just made an afghan with RH Fiesta, gold & black. It's thick & warm. I have a stalled project until after the holidays. I'm using Bernat boucle on that one. So far I like it but it is a bit difficult if you have to rip it out. As long as the yarn is washable I don't think it matters what you use. Caron SS is soft & lighter but isn't as warm. Red Heart may be a bit stiffer but it's warm & washable. Softens up a bit over time when you wash it. Double stranded baby yarn works up nicely, is warm & washable but it gets pricey using the two strands. Guess it's just the look & feel that you want that matters with what yarn you choose.

My only complaint with Red Heart is that the bedspreads stretched out alot after they were finished, and also one of them got very thin after a few months. Maybe this has nothing to do with the kind of yarn?

No,like an afghan only bigger, not the kind made out of thread.

I have only used Bernat and Caron for small projects, will it keep it's shape for a bedspread?

I made a ripple afghan for my son out of Bernat Camouflage 5 years ago and it's held up nicely, and that was my first afghan so probably not made perfectly. I made a baby blanket 4 years ago for my niece out of Caron Simply Soft and it has held up, but I don't know how much use it got. I think my sister-in-law thought it was too pretty to actually use so it ended up decorating the nursery. It was really pretty, lacy looking and all white with ribbons. And it was so incredibly soft. I found that the Caron Simply Soft splits a lot as you work with it, but it's so soft that I didn't mind at all.

I made an afghan for my baby grandson (he just turned 1) out of RHSS. Will never use it again (I've used that brand for years). It sheds everywhere (we have red fuzzies in every room). It's not held up like my older afghans made from that yarn. I use Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn now. Have made 2 afghans with it and they have held up and have no fuzzies. I am making another blankie for GS out of ILTY, its much softer and I'm hoping it will last for a long time.

Hi AbbyRoseLou,

You're looking for buying advice on a finished product.  This discussion is about crocheting a product out of yarn or thread.  Do you crochet?  We can give you our thoughts on yarn/thread manufacturers, fibers, textures, etc.  Also, this discussion is from 2009.

Abbyroselou, as Sharon mentioned, our site focuses on issues related to crochet. We have some members from Australia, but they may not end up seeing this post. 

You'll probably get more useful advice by asking your question in a forum that is based in Australia so people will be more familiar with the business you're asking about. A forum with a broader focus, such as shopping in general or just home goods, might also be a better bet than one focused on a particular craft like crocheting.

Do you crochet? If so, we'd love to have you join in our crochet discussions.

Archived