Blue X's 2

Elvee

My sister needed two afghans for a friend's daughter who is having fraternal twin boys. I love this afghan, I made it for my grandson, Adler, and he loves it. He is 2 1/2 and he carries this afghan with him every where. I asked my sister how she liked them and she screwed up her face and said, "They are all right." :bang

I made their older brother a fancy ruffles and ribbons thing and my sister expected a repeat of that. I tried to explain to her you can't give every sibling in the family the same afghan--I am not a factory or a machine. I made what I thought was appropriate and I was really upset by her attitude. I used an F hook and baby yarn and they took forever to crochet. Now I am :angry MAD at my sister and she's on my not nice list. Oh, I didn't get paid to create these--if she wants another I am very sweetly telling her I will teach her how. I am done with the "I need blah-blah-blah-" and putting my own projects on hold for her.

Here are the hideous, offending afghans

:hug

post-1720-135897473893_thumb.jpg

post-1720-135897473896_thumb.jpg

I quite understand your rage. This is why I never, ever make anything for anyone unless I know that they are going to be appreciative and grateful. Otherwise, people take you for granted and assume that you learned to crochet in order to cater to their demands. The baby blankets are beautiful, I am sure the actual recipients will appreciate them.

I told her she could weave ribbon around the edging and fancy them up if she thought they were too plain. She said, "Why didn't you do that?" I said I already had put too much time and money in to them. You don't have to be really crafty to weave ribbon!

I made them because my grandson adores his and I like to make baby afghans that can be used for years, not just for infants. Oh, well. My hubby honey says "Don't make anything else for her" I think that is about right. When her grandson was born I bought him gifts and made him an afghan. When Adler was born--nothing. When Otto was born--nothing. I think the generosity goes only one way and I am really tired of it.My family is important, too!

I think your sister is very wrong - the blankets are georgeous.

I asked the girls in my office their opinions of your pics and they agree the blankets are georgeous.

I have one pregnant coworker who loves it!!!!! uhoh.... I guess I will be making one just like yours pretty soon.

this is the same afghan I made her last

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101820

I couldn't see making twins in the family the same afghan as their older brother. So, yes it was over the top fancy, but it was also for a first baby and I had no idea I would get rooked in to making 2 more--also when the grandma got the blanket--which I wasn't paid for--she asked me to make a sweater, hat and booties to match. I didn't do it!!!

I don't pull my yarn out of thin air, I don't even have a magic wand!!

They are gorgeous. The pattern looks very similar to the one I used to make my own childrens Christening shawl. I think its pretty enough without any ribbons but as you so rightly say if she wants ribbons she can always add them herself. I'm sure the babies Mum will be delighted with them

I am feeling better over this whole thing. I was just resentful that after all those hours working on these she turned her nose up. :( Each row towards the end took an hour to do. I am feeling unappreciated, but no more!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you stood up to your sister. Shame on her for being so ungrateful!:2nono It takes enough time (and money) to make one baby afghan, and bless your heart, you made two. I agree, since your sister doesn't appreciate the gifts you made for her friend's daughter, she should learn how to crochet and make the gifts for her friends herself. Then she would see just how much goes into crocheting an afghan. I think the afghans are beautiful, and I think the mommy of the babies will love them. And even more importantly, the babies are gonna love them! :fluffy:fluffy

Here is a hug for you.:hug Don't feel blue anymore. Your sister should be feeling bad, not you.

I love your blankets !!!! To me, part of the gift is the time and care you put into it. They are heirlooms !!!! They are to be loved and snuggled and held and used . Aside from the time, alot of people (non-crocheters) just dont understand how expensive things can be to make................

Well, afghans went off to North Carolina and the Grandma of the twins-to-be loved them. She said they were just like an old fashioned Christening robe and she was really tickled with them. So, now my sister thinks they are cool. Go figure--

Thanks every one for your lovely words and all your support!

They are beautiful! :manyheart

I would still be handing your sister a crochet hook, yarn and the pattern next time she asks for an afghan, or say the cost will be $30-50.00 each. Might teach her a lesson.:yes

I think they are beautiful! Some people just don't know how to be appreciative of what they are GIVEN! I wouldn't make another thing for her. Your telling her you will show her how to crochet is a great idea and will probably get the message across!

Well, chalk this up as a learning experience and let it go. No more afghans for your sister. Next time she asks, you've got too much going on already, but you'd be glad to teach her. If she doesn't want to learn, she can just buy a gift.

Your afghans are beautiful, and it's a shame she doesn't appreciate them. I'll bet the recipient will love them! :hug

I agree with all here: your work is absolutely beautiful.

The whole "I need you to crochet something for MY friend's daughter"-thing is quite shocking to me, to be honest. And then turn her nose up?! I agree with your hubby - I would not make anything else for her. She took your time, talent and kindness for granted. :irk

They are beautiful! :manyheart

I would still be handing your sister a crochet hook, yarn and the pattern next time she asks for an afghan, or say the cost will be $30-50.00 each. Might teach her a lesson.:yes

I agree with crazycrochet. In fact, for Christmas, maybe you should put a crochet hook and a ball of yarn in your sister's stocking. :lol

• 3 weeks later...

People that don't crochet have NO idea the amount of time, energy, effort, and love we put into our projects. I think your blankets are lovely, and your heart is too. Don't let her ruin something you did out of kindness and generosity of spirit!!

Archived