gauge question.

galaxydreams

Question

Hello :) I guess I am having a hard time understanding what a pattern means what it says "gauge" It normally will give some kind of stitches x so many rows = 4x4 And then gives a hook size.

Lets say the gauge says 14 sc x 17 rows = 4 x 4"

What I do (not sure if this is right or not) is make a square with 14 sc (not counting the ch1) and 17 rows of it.

then i measure that and when I get more than 4x4 i would use a smaller hook for the pattern... and if i get less than 4x4 i use a larger hook... Is this right?

I did that square (14sc x 17 rows) and ended up with 4 3/3 " x 5 "

I guess I just need to know what to do to make sure i make these slippers with the right sized hook. Any tips would be great. thank you!!

3 answers to this question

It's really best to make your gauge swatch about 6x6" or bigger. The edge stitches, and beginning rows, are not always true to gauge so you want to be able to measure in the middle of the swatch. Often patterns do say to just make the 4x4" but that is not the best way.

for this I would probably make at least 22-24 stitches and do 23-25 rows, then measure in the middle.

You got (14sc x 17 rows) measuring 4 3/3 " x 5 " (I know that is supposed to be 1/3 or 3/4, not 3/3, but anyway it is more than 4 :)) So you are a little too big.

Are you using the recommended yarn?

Basically you need to use a smaller hook, or slightly smaller yarn.

There have been several discussions here about the fact that row gauge is harder to achieve than stitch gauge. depending on what the fraction is in your stitch gauge measurement, you might be off more on the rows than on the stitches.

Hello :) I guess I am having a hard time understanding what a pattern means what it says "gauge" It normally will give some kind of stitches x so many rows = 4x4 And then gives a hook size.

Lets say the gauge says 14 sc x 17 rows = 4 x 4"

What I do (not sure if this is right or not) is make a square with 14 sc (not counting the ch1) and 17 rows of it.

then i measure that and when I get more than 4x4 i would use a smaller hook for the pattern... and if i get less than 4x4 i use a larger hook... Is this right?

I did that square (14sc x 17 rows) and ended up with 4 3/3 " x 5 "

I guess I just need to know what to do to make sure i make these slippers with the right sized hook. Any tips would be great. thank you!!

I'm fairly new to crochet but I beleive that you are right. You should probably try the next smallest hook than the one you used to test your square.

Archived