What kind of yarn do you use to make a dishcloth?

jamielynn1985

Question

I'm a pretty cheap person (plus I just can't afford anything that isn't cheap) so I tend to stick to Red Heart Super Saver yarns, at least until I get more advanced in my skill level. I've seen a few dishcloth patterns that specify cotton yarn but most of them don't specify. Can I just use RHSS yarn? I know acrylic yarn is rougher than cotten but considering they'd be dishcloths I think I'd prefer them to be a little rougher to help with scrubbing. Besides everything I've made has felt soft after I washed it.

12 answers to this question

I have a few dishcloths I've made from cotton.

Was looking thru a book just this morning that I have and it has some dishcloths made from #10 crochet thread and a "nylon" thread and the pattern indicates that the nylon thread comes in colors, because it calls for mint green and teal blue.

But I was wondering if that would be a good scrubbing dishcloth.

Cotton fan myself - since most of my dishcloths do double duty as trivets and pot holders. My stepmom had a few dishcloths though made out of acrylic yarn that were extra scrubby because of it. They started to pill badly though after a few dozen uses and ended up being much hard to clean (get rid of oily feel to them) than her cotton ones after my dad decided to use them to clean auto parts with.

i have made some scrubbers out of Super Saver and i think it does a good job. It holds up well to use (tho I admit we haven't used them to clean car parts:lol) and they don't fade as much as cotton. You can scrub with Ajax and they just get a bit softer but retain their color.

Jamie Lynn--I am "cheap" as well!! I use the Red Heart Super Saver yarn for dishcloths!! But use only cotton for potholders--because the Super Saver yarn is acrylic, and will melt. But I LOVE the Super Saver yarn for scrubbing my dishes!!

Collette :crocheting

Jamie Lynn--I am "cheap" as well!! I use the Red Heart Super Saver yarn for dishcloths!! But use only cotton for potholders--because the Super Saver yarn is acrylic, and will melt. But I LOVE the Super Saver yarn for scrubbing my dishes!!

Collette :crocheting

Oh trust me, I'd never used it for potholders. I did make a potholder out of some leftover SS yarn but I was testing using 2 strands at a time and just decided to add a loop when I was finished with it and I gave it to my daughter for play. I'll never mix it up with one I actually intend for potholders b/c it's made in neon multi-color yarn and I don't think I'll ever make potholders in that color.

Even though this thread was bumped up from 2009:

I always use one of the cottons on the market. Acrylic never did anything for me for being durable. Always cotton for potholders since acrylic melts.

For Christmas gift sets I made several small scrubbers out of Red Heart Scrubby. It worked well for the scrubbie's but did a job on my hands, so, I won't be using it again.

Check the big box craft/ yarn stores and be sure to use their coupons for $$$ off. Always helps.

Archived