How do I price a crochet class?

I've been asked to teach a class in crochet and I have to tell them what I want to be paid. Since I haven't done this type of teaching in quite a few years I haven't a clue on how to charge or what to charge. The class will be six hours and the minimum no. of students will be four and max will be 8. I will have a round trip of 45 miles approx. I will be teaching a hat and scarf to students from beginner to ???. Any help would be appreciated!! smokey:crocheting

IDK. I think Michael's charges around $10.00 to $15.00 for a one time class which doesn't include the supplies. Because it's 6 hours long, I would think you should raise the price, especially since you'll be driving a far distance. The problem is that if you overcharge, you might not get as many students. I would say $20 is fair. I hope you get close to your max. It sounds like a fun class and I wish you the best of luck.

Our Community Education charges what works out to be about $12/hour for most knitting classes with a supply cost payable to the teacher. (A crochet class has been taught only once in the ten years I've lived here.) The teacher, of course, is only getting a cut of that cost. Good luck with your class!

I would suggest doing some research into the pricing of similar classes in your area. The price can be highly variable depending on where the class is being taught (LYS vs craft store vs community ed), how experienced and well-known the teacher is, the area of the country, etc.

Don't forget that the hat and scarf patterns you're planning to use should be either your own design or patterns that give permission for you to make commercial use of them by teaching from them. If the patterns don't specifically grant that permission (whether they're free or for sale), contact the copyright holder and ask for permission to use the patterns in the class. If they're free patterns, ask the copyright holder if you can have permission to pass out printed copies of the patterns or if they'd prefer each student to go directly to the website themselves and print out the patterns individually. They may prefer each student visit and print the pattern, as that increases their site traffic.

Archived