Tips for finding the beginning of yarn in a skein?

kelvweb

Question

2 answers to this question

I look for the end where it looks like the end is coming out of the (end of the skein) and is tucked in the paper.

I gently pull that until the end pops out and then I tuck it under the paper wrapper.

Then I know that the other end of the skein is the starting 'end'. If the ending isn't visible, then I pull a little yarn 'burp' out of the very center of that end until I have only a strand of yarn coming out of the skein. then I unraval the yarn 'burp' to find the starting end. -- other wise I just pull out the visible end if it is there and start!

If I purchase the yarn at the store, instead of online where I usually do, I will look for a better skein showing the starting end sticking out, if I can.

I do all that too.

One other thing to make sure the starting end isn't pulled into the skien (has happened to me when I pull the other end out) is I hold onto it while I pull out the end of the yarn. Sometimes I've done that at the store when I know I'm gong to buy the yarn because the yarn gets mixed with the other items and it gets pulled. I just wrap it around a bit and then tuck it under a few strands of yarn (not enough to tangle it later).

Debbi

Archived