Hello! from Southwest Missouri

Lovin2Crochet

Hello! fellow crocheters ~ :crocheting I am Carole, and a self-taught crocheter since back in 1975, when I was a young married girl, making things for my babies. I've only made one afghan that I designed myself, and was a *first* project, so you can imagine how crooked it was . . . just learning what decreasing and increasing was all about (and I still have it) ~ :lol My latest interest now is making *~*Snowflakes*~* I didn't know how much fun this could be, and what wonderful little card enclosures for family and friends. I was born a *Christmas brat* and am an only child, on top of it (and no, I never got no special treatment ~ :P ~ phooey!) I am *kickin' and clawing* as I am all too soon approaching 60 yrs old . . . #59 next month ~ :eek But I am married to the most wonderful guy (Jim) who will be making this trek with me so much more enjoyable ~ :cheer ~ we just celebrated our 22nd anniversary in August! :hug:c9

I'm so glad I found CrochetVille and look forward to making many new friendships. Happy Crochet Day, everyone! :hook

Hello, from south-central Arkansas, so we're neighbors, too.

I love to visit Eureka Springs and Branson as often as I can.

I love it up in that part of the country. It is beautiful up there with rolling hills,

lots of color.

Welcome Carole, your introduction struck a couple of nerves. First, I still have my first project too. I am largely self-taught though I did have a one-hour class. I was very good at making chains, and it thought, “This is a breeze, no problem, I can do this. Then the instructor came back and said; “Now we’re going to do the most basic stitch called “single crochet” I spent the remainder of the hour trying to do the single crochet. I went from elation to downright depression. My thoughts were, “I’m going to be the only person in the world who can’t learn to crochet”. I left the lesson with my “Rosewood” Hook and a ball of cotton yarn. (They came with the lessons).

Over the next few days I would gain some courage, pick up my stuff and try again. This went on for a WHILE. I would try and it would not be recognizable as crochet, and rip it all out. Finally, a month of so after the lesson, I decided no matter what it looked like I was going to keep doing (whatever we could call what I was doing) until I completely wore out the yarn or hook. In my kitchen in a place of honor is the saddest, most misshapen potholder anyone has ever seen. If you look at it closely you can clearly see the progression of my efforts. I had started out to make something 6 or 8 inches square. By the time I was making things that actually looked like it might be crochet my 8” chain had progressed to being about a foot wide at the top. It seemed I was increasing in each row, and at the time I had never even heard of an increase. So then I decided I should work my way down the sides and see if I could make it a bit more square by adding stitches along the sides. I ended up working the piece in a sort of rippled oddly shaped rounds, but the individual stitches looked like they should and I had figured out where the hook was supposed to enter the stitch and all that.

Oh yeah there were two nerves struck. I just turned 60 in mid October. I used some of my higher math skills and figured out that I am now about the age my Grandfather was at the time when I understood what a Grandfather was, and he was ancient. Good luck, I’m sure you will be glad you found this place.

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Welcome Carole, your introduction struck a couple of nerves. First, I still have my first project too. I am largely self-taught though I did have a one-hour class. I was very good at making chains, and it thought, “This is a breeze, no problem, I can do this. Then the instructor came back and said; “Now we’re going to do the most basic stitch called “single crochet” I spent the remainder of the hour trying to do the single crochet. I went from elation to downright depression. My thoughts were, “I’m going to be the only person in the world who can’t learn to crochet”. I left the lesson with my “Rosewood” Hook and a ball of cotton yarn. (They came with the lessons).

Over the next few days I would gain some courage, pick up my stuff and try again. This went on for a WHILE. I would try and it would not be recognizable as crochet, and rip it all out. Finally, a month of so after the lesson, I decided no matter what it looked like I was going to keep doing (whatever we could call what I was doing) until I completely wore out the yarn or hook. In my kitchen in a place of honor is the saddest, most misshapen potholder anyone has ever seen. If you look at it closely you can clearly see the progression of my efforts. I had started out to make something 6 or 8 inches square. By the time I was making things that actually looked like it might be crochet my 8” chain had progressed to being about a foot wide at the top. It seemed I was increasing in each row, and at the time I had never even heard of an increase. So then I decided I should work my way down the sides and see if I could make it a bit more square by adding stitches along the sides. I ended up working the piece in a sort of rippled oddly shaped rounds, but the individual stitches looked like they should and I had figured out where the hook was supposed to enter the stitch and all that.

Oh yeah there were two nerves struck. I just turned 60 in mid October. I used some of my higher math skills and figured out that I am now about the age my Grandfather was at the time when I understood what a Grandfather was, and he was ancient. Good luck, I’m sure you will be glad you found this place.

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Thank you, John, and it's nice meeting you, too. I've visited Corpus Christi, TX and loved it! It was my kids' first time seeing the ocean and they had a ball ~ we camped out on the beach. I was raised in California so had the advantage of going to the beach almost every weekend (Long Beach and Huntington Beach, especially) and wanted my kids to experience the ocean. My son is married and has a 2-yr old baby boy now ~ Jason just turned 33 yrs old this Saturday, and I can hardly believe how the time has flown! He's in the Navy, stationed in Georgia at the submarine base in Kings Bay ~ just got his orders and they will be moving to Japan now, in March.

Your beginning crochet sounds a lot like mine ~ :lol Since my grandmother helped Dad to raise me, I used to watch her crochet, but never was taught anything except the chain (which I think was more of a thing to *keep me busy*). Being a lefty was a bit of a challenge, too, but I'm also a bit on the ambidextrous side so am more *club-handed* with my right-handed technique ~ :hook Definitely NOT the fastest crocheter, either.

Hey! John ~ you'll have to keep me posted on how the *60's* are going for you ~ :D I'm hoping they're better years than what the 50's have been . . . you know, with Arthir- keeping company with us now and showing his ugly side every now and then? :P Just gimme those pain meds! :cheer

Hope you're having a great day! Carole :crocheting

Howdy from Oklahoma Carole

Welcome to Crochetville

Where 'bouts in Oklahoma are you from?? Hubby and I lived for a couple of years in Eucha (Oochie), near Jay, Oklahoma, but couldn't survive there since jobs were scare in that area (his cousin talked us into moving there). We went back home to Kansas City, Missouri where we are both from originally. Jim's family is from Heavener, Oklahoma ~ his dad worked for the KCS railroad, so moved to K.C. and raised his family there. We love the weather in SE Oklahoma, tho. And the mountains along the Arkansas/Oklahoma stateline is beautiful!

Glad to meet you, Terri, and thanks again for the welcome. Carole :crocheting

Hello! and Thanks for the welcome! my fellow Missourians, SueMary and Brenda ~ :)

Thanks for the welcome! and Here! Here! Dawn/CrochetLuvKnot! We may not agree with the war, but we can sure as heck stand by our boys and girls in the service. It just breaks my heart to see the special programs that show what they are going thru and experiencing ~ it's horrific! And what their families are going thru, too. My son is in the Navy (6 yrs now), stationed in Kings Bay, Georgia at the submarine base ~ he's about to be stationed in Japan this next March, so I worry about the *reasons* for that, since all this upheaval in Korea and Vietnam, again.

I love the picture of the bag you crocheted ~ how did you get it to switch back-n-forth like that?? That's neat!

I've got cousins who live in Mesa, Arizona ~ they're still trying to convince us to move there ~ :D

Thanks for the Welcome! Nee ~ :) I guess you guys are already getting snow and stuff, or at least really cold weather?? You've sure been hit hard during the past couple of years . . . but then you all *always* seem to get an over abundance of the *white stuff*, huh? ;>) Brrrr!

Hi! and Thanks! EricaLynn in Indiana and Gramma2allboys in Florida ~ :) Hope to see you around here ~ I'm really enjoying the snowflake patterns and getting into the holiday spirit! It's just came around so quickly! :)

Hope everyone's having a great day! We've had our nice, sunny days this weekend, but are expecting cold weather to move in and stay around awhile ~ well, it's creepin' towards winter, after all, right? ;>)

Carole/Lovin2crochet :)

:waving from Arizona!! Welcome!! Is this my email buddy Carole?

HI! Shiela! :cheer Yep! It's ME! How are you doin' girl friend?! I've been keeping pretty busy ~ working on that Scripture afghan *still* (I've got 2 wks to get it done and mailed!!) and doing cross stitching in between. My son's birthday was Saturday, so I was making him some *special* washcloths just for him (he freaked out when Ruthie said she was using theirs for cleaning the bathroom ~ :lol ~ he told her, "I use them for my face! and you're cleaning the toilet with them?!" He was so funny! She said she didn't know what they were for so just used them for cleaning. She's from Mexico, but surely they have washclothes . . . don't they?? :D:P )

I'm so glad to see you here! I love the snowflake patterns (that's how I found this place), and this is something new for me, so I'm getting involved with them. What are you working on now? Keep in touch, okay? :hug

Carole :crocheting

Welcome to Crochetville!

Good morning! Bobbi ~ :hook Hey! I just read your profile and noticed you are a fellow Nurse's Aide. :) I can't do it any more, but I took my schooling back in 1970. I had been in the nursing field for about 30 yrs, doing home health, hospital, nursing home, then worked the last 6 of those years in Private Duty nursing, both in the home and as Staff Coordinator. I sure miss working with patients, especially the elderly. I've been away from it for about 9 yrs now. What part of CNA work do you do? :)

Thanks for the Welcome, Bobbi ~ :) Carole

Archived