How fast do you crochet?

I've recently noted that my crocheting speed has been waxing and waning. Part of it depends on the project, the pattern stitch and I think just plain mood. Maybe part of it is age. I've always had a fairly consistent speed with which I crocheted. If I'm not going fast anymore, I feel guilty! How's that for being neurotic??!! :think So, I'm curious...........how fast do you crochet?

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, lets see, i have made baby afghans in a day, and made a regular sized afghan in 3 days. The afghan I just finished - it's in the show and tell - Autumn Log Cabin Afghan, I worked on that during my lunch at work, someone figured I had 30 hours into it. I have also had people that I crochet fast and it is hard for me to show someone a stitch, cause I have to slow down and think about what I'm doing.

Depends on the project for me. Most anything I do I can whip up fairly quickly, which is great when someone comes to me and asks if I can make a last minute gift for someone. Afgans take me forever though, I think it's cuz I lose interest in things so quickly, and you really need the patience to do an afgan, IMO.

Generally, I'm pretty fast. At least, other people think so when they watch me. However, I crochet a lot while watching TV or films, so I speed up when things get exciting and slow down when the film does. I stop completely at stressful moments :lol

What helps me keep an even rhythm is music: if I really want to relax, I listen to something with an even rhythm and crochet away. Thankfully, I've been crocheting long enough to be able to maintain a steady gauge, my stitches are usually around the same size, regardless of backround interference. It was different at the beginning though, I can still remember trying to figure out why one 8-round square was muuuuuuch smaller than another!

Generally, I'm pretty fast. At least, other people think so when they watch me. However, I crochet a lot while watching TV or films, so I speed up when things get exciting and slow down when the film does. I stop completely at stressful moments :lol

LOL! I do the same thing! I don't like scary movies but DH does, so with halloween I got quite a bit done between the shouts of " No, don't go in there!!" and "Turn around! He's right behind you!!":lol

I think I just crochet at a steady pace! Usually while watching telly. My friend was asking me how many afghans I have made this year and from June till now we counted 31. So I'll just keep on crocheting at a steady pace.

Mine changes alot. I have two partial tears in the rotator cuff of my right shoulder and I hold my hook in my right hand. My pain level often dictates what and how much of a project I can go. The type of stitch, type of yarn, if I'm following a complicated pattern counting stitches/rows or doing something I've done multiple times makes a difference as well. Now that I'm in my sixties and wear trifocals I definitely need good lighting and even with my Ott Light I rarely work on dark saturated colors at night. My most fluid stitch is a double crochet. I was working with a finer sock yarn recently and to keep it from splitting I found I had to rotate my hook more when drawing loop through previous row. That really put a strain on the muscles of my ring finger of my right hand. I do crochet fairly loosely. I have noticed that the longer I crochet in one session my stitches get looser so I have to watch my gauge. Guess you have to say I'm inconsistent.

It depends on the stitch and if I've done that item before or not. I've had people say I'm fast but I don't think I'm that fast. I think I work at a steady pace. Although people are amazed that if I'm doing just a row of sc or Dc that I can do it without looking at the piece. However, that is only if it is a simple piece LOL!!

You've all helped me more than you can imagine. I'm finding that trying to crochet too fast does make it more like work. Our bodies also betray us. I identify with the rotator cuff problem. Crocheting undoubtedly gets mine to hurting so bad that I just have to plain stop crocheting and knitting for a day or too.

I crochet pretty fast depending on the pattern I have made some afghans in five days especially on piece hexagons or round ripples. Now if the pattern changes frequently then I am slower trying to make sure I am doing the pattern right. I been crocheting for over 50 years and I am learning so many new things that I want to do and time is not always on our side to make them all.

It depends on how enthusiastic I am about the project. I'm not one of those crocheters that have more than one WIP going on at the same time.... Last night, I finally finished a crocheted edge fleece Halloween throw I had been working on for over a month! It should have been a project that took me a week or so at most. I just wasn't in the mood for it. However, when I get to working on an afghan for the NICU, I can get one done in a couple of days.

Is this a trick question?:P Are you really trying to suss out our personalities so that you can publish an article in a prestigious publication?:devil I can just see the title now, "Prominent Psychiatrist Discovers that Fast Crocheters are Neurotic, those who Crochet Slowly are Anal Retentive"!

No, really, I think that everyone's speed differs greatly from project to project and day to day. There are so many variables: The pattern is the biggest -- is it difficult or easy, the hook, the mood of the person at the time, distractions or lack thereof... Generally, I crochet at what I call a moderate pace, but others think I'm fast. If the dogs are sniffing my yarn or my son is mumbling to himself in the kitchen, I'm slow. If the house is empty, there's something on TV that doesn't require too much attention, and I have an easily memorized pattern, I'm quite fast and can finish a scarf or babyghan in a few hours.

Good Luck with your survey!:)

• 1 year later...
Fast enough when the mood strikes...but not as fast as Lily Chin...never as fast as her...

Someday - that's my goal. Till then I clocked in at 52 dc's in 2 minutes speed crocheting. Normally - not nearly that fast.

I crochet pretty fast. I like to see results pretty quick after I start a project. I have finished baby blankets within a day but how quickly I finish something really depends on how much time I have to devote to what I'm working on.

I think it varies from project to project for me, I can make a small basic amigurumi in 2 hours and it depends how entusiastic I am about the project and of course whats on the tv! I suffer from psoriatic arthropathy so when I have pain I cant crochet which is very frustrating. I sit looking longly at my wip but dont push myself as it will stop me for longer!

I tend to be a fast crocheter, maybe because of the amount of years I have been crocheting? I was once in a waiting room while my brother was having out-patient surgery and I was crocheting an afghan. A couple of hours later, a woman waiting for someone else, looked over and was amazed to see how much of the afghan I had completed.

Since I always have multiple projects going on at the same time, I tend to get more done. And I guess since crocheting is my passion (and my much needed therapy right now), I just keep on going and going, kind of like the Energizer Bunny.

LI Roe

• 1 month later...
No, really, I think that everyone's speed differs greatly from project to project and day to day. There are so many variables: The pattern is the biggest -- is it difficult or easy, the hook, the mood of the person at the time, distractions or lack thereof... :)

Couldn't have said it better. Some patterns require complete attention and others you can zip right through it.

• 2 months later...

Archived