wrap snuggie

Salli

I am going to try and make a couple of these. What size hook is everyone using??? I don't have an L hook and was wondering if a K would work instead.

My SIL's birthday is on Christmas so I want to make her 2, 1 in red, green and white and one in some other color.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marci I haven't made one of these but thought I could help you out with measurements. I have my 3 yr old gd here. Her sleeve length is 11", her length from her shoulders to heel is 30 1/2", her chest is 21".

Redheart.com and Bernat.com both have patterns for these. Bernat uses the chest size and using the bernat ww yarn with an I hook.

I would use ww yarn and a smaller hook. I didn't look up redhearts pattern, buy if I was making this I would use 1 size smaller hook. Hope this helps. I have 3 sweaters to make then I may get into these for the gks.

Thanks for the measurements. I'm using the Redheart pattern with an L hook. I think if I go down to a J hook the size will be fine. I don't want her to grow out of it to quickly.

I am going to try and make a couple of these. What size hook is everyone using??? I don't have an L hook and was wondering if a K would work instead.

My SIL's birthday is on Christmas so I want to make her 2, 1 in red, green and white and one in some other color.

I have used all types of yarn and I would suggest using the L hook. If you do not have one I'd go up a size.

I decided to start with a K hook it's a 8.50 and the pattern calls for a L hook and it's a 8. I went to the Ben Franklin's here in town and they were out of the size hook I needed as well as a bunch of other yarn related items, I may check Wal Mart while I'm at work tonight and see if they have the size I need.

So far the going is slow I got 5 rows down last night and they seemed to take forever.

OMG!! I love it!

I just wonder if I'd actually finish one. It can't be that tedious as I notice a few of you have made many. What a wonderful gift idea for Christmas!!

My daughter is 5'9" tall and very thin. I just have visions of working on this forever. I'm a fast crocheter but it looks like a lot of work.

Cheryl.

P.S. Kicking myself as Bernat satin was buy 1, get one free last week!

Edited to add: I found errata for the Red Heart pattern on their site -

Here's the link to the errata document - http://redheart.com/PDF/Pattern_Corrections_92809.pdf

I would love to join in this CAL once I get some xmas gifts done. I check both RedHeart and Bernat patterns. I actually like them all, so I might make one each. :hook

I will be back to check this CAL when I am ready. :yes

I'm doing one of these! :yay

I'm on my third skein on one for my 6 yr old DD. I'm using Red Heart Blueberry pie yarn and the Bernat pattern.

She's been begging for one so I hope she likes the crocheted one instead of the fleece one. :lol

I have 4 complete, 1 needs a sleeve and 1 is 2/3 done. I have worked all of them in a combination of yarns.( I have made a big dent in my stash this way) Depending on the yarn they are a bit heavy.

I have been toying back and forth with doing this. I'm going to make an "ugly wrap snuggie" with yarn from my stash. I don't have enough of any one color to make it look right so I'm going rogue!!! I have no business doing this since Christmas is so close, but what they hey.

I'm using a K hook on the Red Heat pattern because I crochet loose. And using one strand. If you crochet tight you could go up to an M or N. The N hooks are pretty easy to find and usually alumninum. I don't think I've ever saw an L or M hook in the store (I know they are out there though).

I'm only using one strand (or will be when I start). It will make it lighter, plus the larger hook making the stitches loose (looser then I even crochet). You could use 2 strands of yarn, but then you may want a larger hook then an L. An N or even Q works great with two strands. You could use a K hook with 2 strands, I have, but it's very tight (works for my lose crochet stitches).

I finally bought the yarn. I had a tough time choosing a color. I'm using Red heart Super Saver. Can't remember the color, don't have it with me I'll post it later.

I was thinking if the pattern gets a bit tedious, I'll just pop in a movie..

Nicole, a multi color scarp yarn one sounds great. I love scarp yarn afghans.

Debbi

I bought the yarn yesterday and will start on it as soon as I finish one thing for my swap. Joanne's had Caron Pounders on sale so I bought one in dark blue. I am also making it for my 6 y/o who is very tall for her age so I may add extra rows to the body.

I am on row 21, I started yesterday.

Walmart doesn't carry a L or M hook but Ben Franklin's does I'm just waiting for the call to let me know they got them in. I went with a K hook and it's looking good. My SIL is very tall so the longer the better, I may have to make a few of these for my kids when I'm done with all my Christmas crocheting.

I am about half way on my red one but between my son getting sick and then me I had to take a break. I hope tomorrow to get back with it. Purple and pink to go.

Salli in MI

I got started on mine to night. I using Red Heart one. Making a adult one in royal blue.I have two question. My first one is has anyone used Caron Simply Soft yarn to make a snugglie. And how do you keep track of all of your st. in each row.Sometimes I add stitch or loose st. on each row there are so many, (143) So when I do a row I count each stitch on each row but that gets old really fast. And if someone says some thing I lose count so I have to rip that row out and start counting off. Anybody have a easier way to keep track of all the st.Please share it with me. Thanks.

Have you tried using stitch markers? I usually set them about 20 stitches apart, that way if I lose count I don't have to start from the row, I just start from the last marker.

As for the Simply Soft, I try not to use it because it is slippery to me and often my ends come unraveled. Although I did use it to make a sweater a long time ago and it stretched a lot!

I have completed 6 of theses, all have different color combo in them. I also have used different yarn SS included these aren't as heavvy but feel much better. I don' like RH even after washing it is pretty scratchy to me. Counting gets old really fast so i count every time I make a color change, this is still better then ripping. i have 4 more to finish befrore the holiday.

If you don't have stitch markers you could use safety pins or even paper clips (color ones are coated and you could use a different color through the snugggie. I've used both. With stitch markers you only have to count to 10 or 20 (my choice would be a smaller count).

Oh I got an idea from someone to put a little letter bead on a safety pin and put that on a project to remind myself which size hook I was using, you could do that with number beads (they have tiny beads you can use).

When it's something simple like this, I usually don't count as I'm crocheting. What I do is I'll stop and look back at my stitches to make sure I got every stitch. Just finger through the stitches. I'll loose count too easily.:blush I can tell by looking if I've missed or added a stitch. That might be an idea if you can do that.

Debbi

Archived