Beginners patterns?

macfoo

I've crocheted for quite a few years and after taking a hiatus am back with what my DH considers a yarn vengence

I gave thread crochet a try - and while I liked it (intricate and small) I was never happy with anything I made

But I'm willing to give it another try - anyone have any recommendations for patterns that are good for yarnies taking their 10th or so whack at thread crochet and actually having it come out decent? :)

Look for patterns that have the same repeats all the way around, with the doily generally circular in shape. Squares, ovals, rectangles, and odd shapes take more concentration.

I think thread crochet looks best when it is done rather tighter than looser, which is not a problem for me since I crochet tight. If you look at vintage pieces, the best ones are done with solid stitches. You don't want to see light through your chains and dc's.

Always, always block thread crochet. I'm not one of those who can make a piece look great until I have blocked and it makes a night and day difference.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks! I was just gifted this past weekend with hooks that were my stepmom's grandmothers. I also inherited some very old thread and some lace work that had been started but never completed.

Since it was her grandmother's, I'm thinking about taking the lace work and a few of the hooks and some of the thread and making a collage for her for Christmas a keepsake of how she learned crochet.

Archived