Crochet off the shoulder top

Butterfly5776

Question

Hi, I want to design a crochet off the shoulder top with a unique back that has a tie and a draped lower back. First question which yarn gives a good drape and how do I attach the sleeves so that they can be worn on or off the shoulders.:(

3 answers to this question

I made a top with Queensland Collection Cotton-Bamboo and it is beautifully drapy. http://www.knittingfever.com/c/yarn/queensland-collection-bamboo-cotton/

Caron's Spa and Country have nice drape as well.

But all these may be so drapy and slinky that they will not stay in place well if worn off the shoulder. But, i always look at off-the -shoulder things and wonder "how does that stay up?" so maybe it's just me:lol

ETA: Linen can have nice drape and it has some body to it also.

how do I attach the sleeves so that they can be worn on or off the shoulders.:(

I saw a pattern in a magazine the other day that had a very wide neck, then there was a drawstring/ribbon that would bring it together if you wanted to wear it up on your shoulders. Basically it was adjustable with that tie. Sorry, I don't remember which magazine it was, but maybe somebody here will know what I'm talking about.

Silk, of course, has beautiful drape. But it can be expensive. A nice mercerized cotton might work. For off the shoulder you can work the top in a wide rib, that should make it stretchy enough to pull off the shoulder or wear up.

But I don't think this is what you want. For what you seem to be describing, I think you want the back to dip low and then have a tie further up in the shoulder area to hold the sleeves up below the shoulder (I wish I could draw a picture here)???:think If so, try working from the bottom up, in the round. Increase at the bottom of the bust, giving yourself enough for the low drape in the back. When you reach underarm level, skip the stitches where you would put the sleeves and work a chain across those stitches. Work a few more rows to the height of where on your shoulders you want the top to be. You are done with the body. Now attach your yarn at the underarm, work the skipped stitches and the ones above in the round for your sleeves. Thread your drawstring through the top -- but only a little way along the back -- this should hold your top in place while giving you the drape you want in the back.

Hope that this helps you out!

Archived