Chicken-foot stitch pattern

Mina

Question

I am trying to make the cardigan on the cover of the fall 2009 issue of interweave crochet (the szechuan sweater)

here is a link to a pic of the sweater, it's the first one

http://www.interweavecrochet.com/issue/2009/materials-fall09.asp

I have tried the directions for creating a swatch of the stitch pattern to refer to over and over again but what I get looks nothing like the pattern in the closeup of the sweater. And I can't find reference to this stitch pattern anywhere online.

I am new to reading clothing patterns. thus far my projects have all been filet crochet. My understanding of the directions was to

(1)create a row of alternating sc and ch1 (skipping a chain in the previous row)

(2)then a row of half double crochet two together, chain one (skipping a chain in the previous row), single crochet, chain one (skipping a chain in the previous row) and repeat.

and repeating these two is supposed to create the stitch pattern (i think)

Is anyone else attempting this project who can give me some insight? I can't tell if I'm reading the pattern wrong or just executing it badly...

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville:hook

i haven't made this, but I have the issue. looking at the pattern in the mag, I think I have a suggestion. row2 says to make the hdc2tog over next ch1 sp and sc, ch1 I think this means that the hdc2tog is supposed to span over all that. i guess you would begin the hdc2tog in a ch1 space and end it in the next ch1 space. the row is all hdc2tog.

I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me.

they should have included a stitch diagram with the pattern to show it clearly, and it would have been nice to have the stitch count at the end of the row.

thank you so much Magic! you were right. I took out all of the rows but the foundation chain and the first row and started from there with your advice and I could see the pattern right away :yay

Now I'm on may way to my first wearable thanks to you! I will post it in show and tell when I have it finished (someday)

You're welcome, glad I could help. The pattern, in my opinion, should have made this more clear AND had a stitch diagram to illustrate it. I'll look forward to seeing your finished sweater:hook

Lack of a stitch diagram is especially surprising with a Robyn Chacula (author of Blueprint Crochet - all about the power of the symbol crochet) pattern!

Archived