a star quilt afghan

Afghaniac

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! That looks great and like A LOT of work. Just curious, how long does it take to make each "block" I have that pattern and looked at it recently thinking that it was a huge time and yarn commitment. It also looks super warm. My pattern instructions says the finished quilt is 90 x 98.:eek:eek Yours looks great, would love to see your completed project. Thanks for sharing.

WOW! That looks great and like A LOT of work. Just curious, how long does it take to make each "block" I have that pattern and looked at it recently thinking that it was a huge time and yarn commitment. It also looks super warm. My pattern instructions says the finished quilt is 90 x 98.:eek:eek Yours looks great, would love to see your completed project. Thanks for sharing.

I think I usually complete -- in a fairly leisurely fashion -- one block, consisting of six colored diamonds and six white diamonds, sewed together, in one evening of prime time. However, I'm never in a big rush to finish anything unless it's a gift for a certain date. I dropped it a couple of years ago and have gone back to it, and now dropped it again for a while to make another motif afghan that piqued my interest. So I just go back to it when I don't know what else to work on.

One of the posters here has asked for the pattern, so if you have the source, I'd appreciate your posting it here, since I only have the two pattern pages, which are pages 58 and 59 from some book whose name is not printed on those pages. I think someone gave it to me years ago.

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Is there a pattern?

Thank you!

There is a pattern, but I only have the two pages apparently torn from a book that either I bought on ebay or was given to me several years ago, and the publication name is not on the pages. The pattern is quite simple, however: Just start with 2 ch and increase in sc for about 5 rows, then decrease to 1 sc (the opposite point). Assemble three solid and three variegated as in the photo, then sew six white diamonds around the outside as shown.

Oh my! It is simply beautiful! What pattern are you using for it? I would love to have something like that!

Thanks!

There is a pattern, but I only have the two pages apparently torn from a book that either I bought on ebay or was given to me several years ago, and the publication name is not on the pages. The pattern is quite simple, however: Just start with 2 ch and increase in sc for about 5 rows, then decrease to 1 sc (the opposite point). Assemble three solid and three variegated as in the photo, then sew six white diamonds around the outside as shown.

progress.gif

I love it, what a great idea! Are the white "squares" hexigons? Or did you do triangles upside down for that? It's hard to tell from the picture. Gives me great ideas for my scap bin! :)

Just crochet diamonds. First sew together three solid-colored and three variegated diamonds as shown in the photo, then add six white diamonds around the outside to complete a block of 12. Additional white diamonds are sewed to the edges of the afghan to close gaps. The hardest part for me is laying out the blocks in rows all of a length, because they're hexagons and not squares! You probably could make diamonds with two triangles, but fewer loose ends this way.

It's beautiful, Afghaniac! I love how you've colored the stars, variegated with a complimentary solid color - Way to lay your scraps down!

As for your photo's layout...Beauty is in the eye of the 'holder! :lol

Thank you for sharing -Looking forward to seeing more from you...and of you!

Thank you, Jeanne! I have to admit that I had to buy three or four variegateds, because I'm usually not very fond of them, but do like the way they almost resemble printed fabric in a crocheted quilt. So I cheated on that scrap thing. Adding even more yarn to the stash that never seems to shrink.

one of the posters here has asked for the pattern, so if you have the source, I'd appreciate your posting it here, since I only have the two pattern pages, which are pages 58 and 59 from some book whose name is not printed on those pages. I think someone gave it to me years ago.

I will post what I have, didn't want to totally hijack your thread.:) The pattern I have is called the Star Quilt Bedspread and it's author is Zelma Shook. I think my copy was not printed in the same book as your (different page numbers) My copy was printed in McCall's Super Book of Afghans vol. 2. not sure when it was printed the copy right is 1979 & 1980. I bought the book last year in an ebay auction because a different pattern on the cover caught my eye. (it was a bargain too,lol).

WOW!!! I also thought it was fabric at first. That is just stunning!!!! You are giving me idea's of what to do with my 2 totes of scrap yarn. I will also have to try to find the pattern.

Archived