labor of love

fritzerbear

My dad lost his nearly SEVEN YEAR battle with pancreatic cancer on July 5, 2009.

During his lifetime, one of his favorite hobbies was woodworking, including wood turning. During the last year of his life, me made me six hand-turned crochet hooks that I will treasure forever. He made the hook portion on two of them, and for the remaining four, he cut off and attached an aluminum Boye hook to the hand-turned handle.

I am so honored and thrilled to have these to treasure forever! (My lack of photography skill doesn't do them justice.)

post-20130-135897465348_thumb.jpg

post-20130-135897465352_thumb.jpg

Oh I am so sorry your lost you dad! How wonderful that you have those very precious hooks! Each time you use them it will be as if a part of him is sitting right there with you! They are just gorgeous. He did beautiful woodwork!

Sorry to hear about your dad but every stitch you make, he will be there every time, you will feel feel his touch when holding those beautiful hooks that he work so hard to make for you. Thank you for sharing.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I lost mine this year on January 29, 2009, and he would have celebrated his 80th birthday on October 29th. You are so lucky to have those beautiful gifts hand-crafted by your father. They are surely a treasure. His work is beautiful and what a gift. You are blessed.

• 2 weeks later...

They are beautiful - I lost my dad 7 years ago age 55 - my mother makes bobbin lace and she has many bobbins turned by him which she will treasure forever as I am sure you will :hug

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry to read of your Dad's passing. My deepest sympathies to you.

He made you a truly magnificent collection of hooks! How wonderful you have them to remember him by! I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful group of hooks! I love the way he used the aluminum hook end with the hand-turned wooden portion on the other end. Such a great idea! But just the look of those hooks, they are gorgeous! What a craftsman he was! :yes

• 3 weeks later...

Am so sorry to hear about your dad. The wood turned crochet hooks truly are a lasting treasure for you, and extra special when they are made by someone close to you. My husband started turning them a couple of years ago for me with all my thread hooks installed in the woods and I just love to crochet with them. He now has made sets for each of our daughters and daughter-in-law to be handed down. They are so wonderful to use. :manyheart

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry for your dad's passing. Those are gorgeous hooks.

Your dad had a will of iron, I must say. It is very rare for someone with pancreatic cancer to survive a year, let alone seven.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived