I'm new here but I can't read your mind!

Knittingdoc

:sun Welcome from Florida. :waving

I am a transplanted Pennsylvanian. I was born in Philadelphia. Crochet is definitely good for the brain. When I became disabled 2 1/2 yrs ago, I got so bored with tv, and crossword puzzles. Even reading became boring. And I love to read. I was bored and frustrated, and even a little depressed. I needed something to occupy my mind in a more worthwhile way. I learned to crochet from a book, and now that's all I do. Crochet and come here to the ville. You will love it here. There so many great ideas, and beautiful patterns, and wonderful people.

You are in my prayers.:hug

Welcome to the 'ville, as they say here, lol. I must say your story is truly inspiring: my BFF at work, her dad is suffering from the same thing you are. I don't know if her dad would start crocheting, but I'm going to show this to her anyway. I know LBD is somewhat rare, so it's good of you to be so open about it.

Best of luck to you, and many prayers! You are in a good place here in Crochetville. :hug

Otherwise, I'm sending lots of warm Florida sunshine your way ... me and all the Floridians here! Chee!

:welcome to the 'ville from south eastern PA, Doc! Besides the knitting and crocheting, I would think that keeping up with computer developments also helps those old brain cells! :ebay

Welcome from the UK - there is certainly enough on here to get those neurotransmitters pinging their way across those synapses, and the fingers spinning those hooks around - so much to learn and so many great people here to chat to - enjoy :flower

Welcome from Virginia. You will love it here - so many wonderful people and projects to see and do. This site will really keep your mind going.

Hello and a big welcome from Ohio! You will find much inspiration here from all our talented guys and gals. There is always something new in crochet to learn. That is why we love it so much!

Good luck with your crochet. We'll all be praying for you!

:hug

Howdy from North Central Texas! Welcome to the 'Ville, David. I'm not familiar with your disease, but my prayers are with you. You will absolutely *love* this site. The folks are so very supportive and you will learn more than you can imagine! I'll be looking at your blog to learn more about your journey.

Hi there!

I'm sorry to learn about your condition but don't worry There is always hope! I know my condition is about 1000000 less serious But I know when I learned about it I was as scared as a kitten 19 years old and they told me I had Narcolepsy with slight cataplexy... I take medication to work and drive but still I have a neurologist the funy thing was that I had the same neurologist as my mom hi hi hi... Anyways I hope that all will be well for you and that crochet can help you!!

:welcome David, from Long Island, NY. David is a great name! It is my hubby's name. You didn't happen to be born on Friday the 13th too? You'll find lots of nurses here (I'm an RN), but I'm not too sure about Docs. Your website is very interesting.

:crocheting is very therapeutic. Last fall, winter, and this spring, I was in and out of hospitals with mysterious:eek pancreatic disorder. Lots of pain, docs who didn't want to give pain meds, and NPO for months at a time (not a recommended way to lose weight! I got down to 80 lb and then the docs were afraid to perform surgery on someone so "fragile"). Anyway, finally went to Sloan, had a Whipple and am all better -- turns out it was a benign growth in the duct!

Crochet got me through those long, lonely days and probably saved my sanity since, in my opinion, hospitals are just great big sensory deprivation (and overload at the same time), personality stripping places! The funniest, perhaps strangest thing: It was mostly the surgeons who were impressed with my skill. Kind of scary, isn't it? Considering, like you mention in your blog, that knitting and crochet should be easy for surgeons since it is just hand-eye coordination and tying knots?

:hug to you! Keep your spirits up and those synapses firing!

Welcome from Crystal Lake, IL. I know you will enjoy the 'ville. I learned to crochet 40 years ago, and would do a project here and there over the years. The addiction kicked in almost 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with AML. While I was in the hospital for a couple months getting chemo and going into remission, it was a lifesaver. It relieved my stress, and helped to keep my mind focused on something other than my condition and the possible outcomes. I didn't have the capacity to concentrate on a book but I could manage dc, chain 3, dc, etc. So since then, it's been one project after another.

Sending good, healing vibes your way. I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Archived