I'm new here but I can't read your mind!

Knittingdoc

Hello to all. I am a 61-year-old retired psychiatrist suffering from Lewy Body Dementia. I've been a life long crocheter and knitter. Grandpap taught me to knit while Grandma taught me to crochet.

My neurologist suggested that I continue to do both crafts in order to keep the brain cells proliferating and to keep the synapses open.

As a result, I'm now trying to learn new things about crocheting. All of those things I wanted to learn and do while practicing psychiatry but never had the time to do.

I'm a farm grown down to earth guy who will definitely convince you that psychiatrists cannot read minds. ;)

I keep a diary of the progress of my dementia on a blog. It helps me to monitor my progress over time. http://knittingdoc.wordpress.com

I'm glad to be a part of such an esteemed group.

Thanks..........David Thomas MD

Welcome to Crochetville! There is just something about crocheting that it comforts and relaxes the brain...at least to me. If I cannot sleep at night, I get my yarn and needle and start in on a project and it seems my worries go away for the time being so I can relax. I will have to check your blog out. Again, welcome! Happy crocheting! :cheer:D

Welcome from another guy in the group! Sorry to read about your condition and hope that your contacts here and crochet will be helpful to you. I think you'll find that this is a very warm and caring place. Lots here to keep those synapses gaping.

Jimbo

WELCOME AND HUGS TO YOU!!!!!! I felt sad when I read your introduction and my heart just went out to you. I even read it out loud to my husband. I've worked in Assisted Living homes and saw my "grandma's" and "grandpa's" with Dementia. It was hard. You are a great person..I know this just be reading your introduction! You have been faced with something "interesting" if you will ;) and you are moving on and on! I look up to people like you. ((Hugs)) :) Enjoy the ville! You'll love it!!!

welcome to the ville, and I am glad you found us... I find Crochet relaxes me when im stressed. I have 5 children.. 4 of wich are ADHD.. and one I'm trying to find out if she has it...she's 6 and they have yet to diagnois her.

After a stressfull day of dealing with the behaviors due to meds wearing off in the eve.. I find when i get them settled I'm comfortable crochetin to relax... even when they are being supre difficult and i feel they just need to run off all the excess energy.. I'll take them to Mcdonalds where i use to work n set them free in playland while i crochet and chit chat with my former co workers who are on break.

I understand about Pscy's can't read minds.. if mine for the kids could I'd have all my nquestions answerd on how and why and when.

When i'm feeling better as im sick with a upper resptory I'll check out your blog!.

Welcome to the 'ville from Ruth in East Texas! :welcome

This is a great place to learn more about crochet and get lots and lots of ideas about how and what to do!

Enjoy!

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

I learned to knit and crochet over 50 years ago and it still relaxes me, even when I'm trying to work through a new pattern. I taught myself tatting and have done a good deal of sewing/quilting but that seems to stress me alot more of maybe its just the trifocals and lack of proper lighting. And some days, I just seek comfort in going to a yarn or fabic store and touching the beautiful fibers.

I'm glad you found us and there are wonderful forums to explore here. Everyone has been so helpful and I've appreciated the many shared patterns. I hope you will share with us the projects you work on and find some new ones you would like to try as well.

:hi and :welcome from South Texas! You're going to love Crochetville!

I read through your blog and there is some very good information there, not just for the elderly or those dealing with Lewy Body Dementia, but for EVERYONE in everyday life. Thanks, and I will continue to check back for any new additions!

I look forward to seeing pictures of your work!

Archived