Ergonomic Hooks...

Favorite Type of Ergonomic Hooks  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Type of Ergonomic Hooks

• Addi Comfort Grip Hooks
    • Clover Soft-Touch Hooks
    • Eleggant Ergonomic Hooks
    • Clover Reflections Hooks

:help I found some old posts with reviews of hooks, but I wanted some feedback from those of you that might be currently using them. I like the looks of the Addi comfort grip hooks, but I'm not sure what to buy yet. I have fibromyalgia that really affects my shoulders and neck and have carpal tunnel from a career in software development and an avid crafting habit --- crocheting being my favorite! I have looked at the Provo Craft ergonomic hooks, the Eleggant hooks, the Clover soft-touch hooks, and the Clover reflections hooks. I have already ruled out the Clover reflections hooks as I am not comfortable with plastic hooks; I think because of the weight. :thumbdown I've heard that the Provo Craft hooks are nice, but the quality is not good, so I think I'm ruling those out too. :thumbdown If anyone has some advice for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm working on so many holiday projects that my hands and forearms are really aching and it sure is aggrevating my neck and shoulders! :tired Thanks all. =) Wendy :yarn

I use the Cro-Lite hooks. They are plastic but they work good in my hands. I have carpal tunnel but it doesn't bother me to use those hooks. The Clover Soft Hooks were too short and didn't feel comfortable. I also have the Provo Craft hooks--which I really like. Took some time to get used to them but they really help with the tiredness in my hands. Just take your time to put the hook part on. Hope this helps.

I think it's a matter of taste. I love, love, love the soft touch hooks. This is after trying other ergonomic hooks. These may be short, but I'll tell you, I've been able to crochet longer with them than with any other. I have arthritis in my hands, shoulders and neck and these hit the spot for me.

I tried the Provo and gave a set to my sister too. Neither of us liked them at all. I have the set just sitting in the drawer. Was to hard for my hands to unscrew and screw back in the hooks I wanted to use.

Have to add my two cents.. I just switched from a regular Boye G hook to a Clover soft-touch. While the shortness of the hook takes a little bit of getting used to it just feels more natural to me. I find that I'm not holding onto the hook tightly (while my grip is ok for larger hooks, anything smaller than a G I hang on for dear life for fear of dropping it).

Because of that my fingers aren't cramping after just a few stitches and I've been able to whip out the little squares I'm working on a lot faster.

I also have a Cro-lite hook but I haven't given that a try yet.

I like Jimbo's hooks they are made of wood/branches they have a wider base and fit nicely in the hand you don't have to hang on tight to them and I can crochet all day with his hooks I to have carpal tunnel and these don't bother me at all he's found right here on the ville

I have arthritis in my hands and everywhere else and I also have fibromyalgia. I LOVE the Clover Soft Touch hooks and I also love the Clover Light up hooks. The Clover light up hooks tend to be larger around so are even easier for me to hold but they are plastic, so I do prefer the Soft Touch hooks since they are aluminum. That's my 2 cents!

I have carpal tunnel syndrome that the doctors say is not bad enough for surgery. but my hand gets so sore i cannot move it. I love my eleggant hook for thread work...i can crochet for hours with no pain and no cramping. For yarn work i use the clover soft touch hooks or crochetlite hooks. again with no cramping or pain. the thing i like about the eleggant hook is that i can cut down any steel hook to work with it which allows me to crochet with even sewing thread again.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't voted in the poll because my favourite hook isn't there.

I find the Clover Soft Touch hooks uncomfortable for me. I had an entire set and sold them on as I just couldn't bear them. Too short for my large hands. And contrary to their name, too "hard" to the touch, nothing soft at all IMO.

My favourite hook of all time (so far) is the "Crochet Lite". I never use the light, but I find the hook shape is wonderful - wide, long, comfortable non-slip grip, smooth heads

I have some Clover Reflections (because I needed larger hook sizes not available in the Lite range). These are also quite long (but shorter than the Lites) & nicely chunky. But I will be looking for a different range as they are clumsy to work with, they feel like a child's hook to me.

I would love to try the Etimo soft cushion hooks.

It's interesting how everyone's experience is so personal, I truly think it's a matter of try & see. Usually they can be sold on if they're not suitable for you.

As a fellow pain-sufferer who loves her craftwork, you have my heartfelt good luck wishes to find a hook style that suits you. Happy hooking! :hook

I too have fibro and my hook of choice is NOT on your poll at all. They are the Susan Bates with bamboo handles. I have found them at AC Moore and my LYS recently scored an L which AC Moore did not have at all! Lately AC Moore has only had the steel hooks with the bamboo handles,I don't do thread as it is WAY to small for my arms (makes them ache too much). I have used the clovers and I do like them,but my hook of choice is the Susan Bates bamboo handle. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know about anyone else, but I really like the bamboo hooks, especially the short (15cm) ones - you get a full set (UK 4 - 10 mm) fro abo9ut £6 and are worth trying. I lost my treasured zipped wallet of metal and alu hooks and had to start over - so I tried a few different types and the bamboo worked out best although ergonomic wooden handled ones are OK and go from 1.25 to 3.5 mm in my set, but are better on the larger 3/3.5 hooks for me.

The bamboo gets better to use through time, too.

Just an opinion, mind.

Andi

I don't see Susan Bates Bamboo handle hooks they are great for most hand problems they are comfortable and I find I can crochet longer with them. They are comfortable to the touch and I find they don't get sticky like metal or plastic. I also use Bamboo hooks which really are nice to use too they are comfortable and I can work with them longer.

I don't see Susan Bates Bamboo handle hooks they are great for most hand problems they are comfortable and I find I can crochet longer with them. They are comfortable to the touch and I find they don't get sticky like metal or plastic. I also use Bamboo hooks which really are nice to use too they are comfortable and I can work with them longer.

These are the hooks I use when I crochet. The larger bamboo handle makes your grip not so tight and you can crochet a lot longer than when using a regular hook.

:manyheart

Hello, I'm new to Crochetville and I wanted to add my two cents. I bought the Bamboo hooks last year and I love them. I was recently working on an afghan and misplaced the hook I was using and had to use my old aluminum hook. I was so suprised how uncomfortable it was to use compared to the Bamboo and how quickly my hand tired.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread! My hand cramps up after working for longer periods of time and I've been interested in trying an ergonomic hook. Do most of you find these at chain craft stores or your LYS?

I have purchased the bamboo handled hooks at my LYS and AC Moores. Recently I bought the hard to find small sizes and larger sizes on Red Hearts site as they had sent me a special discount. I LOVE these hooks! :)

• 2 months later...

I use the Clover Soft Touch hooks and love them. I just started crocheting again two years ago and used standard hooks, but developed Trigger Finger in my thumb. It was quite painful. I rested my hands for a few months and then bought the Soft Touch hooks to give them a try. I now can crochet for hours with no pain and the Trigger Finger has not returned.

• 1 year later...

are the etimo hooks longer than the clover soft touch? I mean total length not just the hook..did not like the provo hook set gave it away too heavy and clunky plus the hook ends were like knives that keep sorta ouching tip of my fingers

Twin birch hooks look like a good hook for ailing hands they come in three sizes up to 3/4 inch around to hold they are completely wood but the prices are not unreasonable around 7.00 dollar or so range just a matter if you like to work with wood or not..anyone tried the new aero addi hooks? would love to see a review on those . but then again goshy grips which are just plain pencil cushions sold at walmart, and or susan bates comfort grips work miracles too for using your old hooks worth a try to see if they help without a big investment,also my Michael's just started stocking crochet guys crochet hook egg thing that is suppose to help holding hooks when strength or pain is issue, just picture a bulb to hold on to size of a small egg,that comes with little couplers sp? that will fit the egg on to most hooks that might be worth a try , sincerely hope you find something that will help with your issue..

I can't honestly vote for ANY of the choices because each of those choices are either too hard or "encouraged" my thumb to bend the wrong way (out) cuz I hold my hook like an overhanded grip (not pencil grip).

The most helpful hooks I have ever used are not made anymore and they are "finger friendly" hooks by Papa Don.

After that the Susan Bates Bamboo HANDLED hooks are great - but I still have to put a rubber gooshy grip on them (buy them at Wally's or Staples)

Right before I had my surgery I really found that BUBBLE wrap - cut and wrapped around any hook really eased my discomfort crocheting and gave cushion but support at the same time - I used plain old scotch tape to attach it - I posted here on the 'Ville about it.

I love the Clover Soft Touch hooks. Earlier this year I was considering buying some ergonomic hooks. My first choice was the Susan Bates with the bamboo handles. But while I was checking them out on the internet I was also crocheting. While I was crocheting I noticed where I was holding the hook. Because of that I checked out the Clover Soft Touch hooks also. After comparing the two I felt the Clover Soft Touch was the better choice for me. There was a special on the complete set (yarn sizes) on Herrschner's so I ordered the complete set as well as 4 individual ones in the sizes I currently use the most. I figured I would use one of the individual ones first. If I didn't like it I would return the complete set. As it turned out I fell in love with them. While they are not "soft" they are wide enough that I do not have a tight grip on them. Because of that I can crochet for longer periods of time without my hands cramping. I also have one Jimbo hook size K that I dearly love because the handle part is thicker and I don't have to grip it as tight as I do the regular aluminum ones.

Kathy - you are right on that! The Clover "Soft Touch" are not soft! Just the very small center is sorta soft - so if someone is looking for a "cushy" handled hook - they won't get it in this one - BUT the handle is similar to the Crochet -Lite handle in that it is WIDE so you don't have to grip around as hard.

I have a set of these for my threadie work - I alternate between these and my Bates Bamboo handle ones that are thread sizes - both are comfortable for me to use! ;)

The other hook that claims ergonomic design is the Swing hook (Addi) and from all appearances looks cushy and soft - but it's in the actual handling and use that you find it is anything BUT soft.

I love the Clover Soft Touch hooks. Earlier this year I was considering buying some ergonomic hooks. My first choice was the Susan Bates with the bamboo handles. But while I was checking them out on the internet I was also crocheting. While I was crocheting I noticed where I was holding the hook.

I wonder if those that like the bamboo handle usually are people that knife grip to crochet? I found the bamboo handled hooks very uncomfortable to use (I have about 4 or 5...I'm not always quick learner :lol ) and they sit in a cup on my table unused.

I love using the clover soft touch. It's not that they are "soft" but fit my hand and my style of crocheting I guess.

Trying to order the larger hooks, k, l and n to try those too. Need that K hook for the SBT :rofl

Archived