How to find charities

Maybe this is a silly question but lately I have been really thinking about making stuff for charities. The thing is that I don't know where I would find a charity in my area. How do you find out about charities that take crochet items?

Ask at your local hospital and community shelters. They will let you know what they need and take.

I do lots of work for the premies at the hospital - blanket/hat sets. My area is always in need of those.

There is a HAP forum (there's also a thread here on the ville http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1023416&postcount=1 that takes rectangles to make blankets for wounded soldiers. Also, I just joined this group and it helps different people, families of deceased soldiers among them

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/

and, last, but not least, look in my siggy for a charity in NYC.:hook

you can also call churches in your area or local hospitals to see if they are in need of items . if they arent accepting any they might be able to tell you who is. Plus you can always try to start a charity i your area for anyone really babies, homeless, vets etc... it all starts with one [erson wanting to try and someones life just a bit better or warmer at this time of year

Thanks for the answers. I was wondering about contacting a local hospital and shelters, I think I will do that tomorrow and ask if they accept donations. Starting a charity sounds interesting, alot of work, but that is always a possiblility. I have nothing against donating to other places, but I would really prefer to stay in Canada. TFTH!

I don't know if you have these in Canada we have a local pregnancy support center that helps out young parents, I just took some thing to ours the other day and they were very appreciative.

Decide what you would like to make and then try and match it with a need.

Homeless shelters I'm sure would accept hats, scarves, mittens

Hospitals: Baby items, lapghans

Nursing homes: Walker bags, lapghans, slippers

Crisis Pregnancy centers: Layettes, blankets

Find a group that means something to you babies, vetrans, teens, etc and then start making calls.

Good luck! And Blessings!

Another place to ask about charity work would be local senior centers. I know several in my area have a group that makes things for local charities. Churches & yarn shops are other good sources of info. I make mittens & hats to drop off at our elementary schools. They have a lending box for the kids who forget something that day but if someone really needs it then they can keep it.

The Big Hearts with Helping Hands of Arizona Organization takes charitable donations. They make crocheted and knitted toys for the less fortunate children, have been helping the homeless with a shelter program and provide food boxes to many families. They also have a Big Hearts in the Philippines, where the donations received are also being sent to their Baguio City location to help with the Super Typhoon victims and survivors. Many of these children have lost their homes, toys and everything else they had. The more items we can send to them, the more we can also help all of our people in need. We have many toy requests for children in Arizona to be made and delivered for the December holidays. The Big Hearts with Helping Hands of Arizona Organization is registered with the IRS, the Arizona State Commissioners and the Arizona Secretary of State. They were founded in 2003 and received their tax exempt status in April of 2008. All handcrafted item donations are greatly appreciated. We have many homeless people who will also appreciate items to keep them warm.

One other suggestion is to check with local churches that might have a clothing ministry or food pantry for needy folks. Many times they can use hats and scarves etc. for the kids in these families.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently read an article about a woman who started a group making caps and hats for chemo patients.

I am going to do the same thing here locally.

So you might also call local cancer centers to see if there is a need.

My church has a clothes closet and its opened one Saturday a month for anyone to come who needs clothes. Earlier this year I began crocheting hats for adults and children to contribute to the clothes closet. I also made some scarves for any of the woman who made not have wanted a cap. The caps fit close to the head and I thought some women may not want to mash down their hair. Just last week I took a bunch of caps and scarves to the clothes closet. Besides checking with local homeless shelters or churches, you might check Red Heart yarn website. They have a list of charities.

Hi! You asked a great question!

In addition to what the others have said... You can also try to think of what is close to your heart. Are you drawn to a particular group or sector of the community (or world)? You can create your own charity, too!

Just to throw some ideas out there... If you like to crochet toys, you might contact a homeless shelter or a family crisis shelter to help comfort a child in need. If you like to make scarves, I'm sure homeless shelters can use them, too. Pet shelters are often asking for crocheted blankets to put in the crates, so they have something comfy to lay on. You may like to make pink ribbons to give away at breast cancer fundraisers, or make them in other colors that support other things like AIDS. Many of these things can be done without actually belonging to a group.

A couple personal examples...

Back when AIDS was largely "taboo" and patients were isolated in separate wings in hospitals, I crocheted a blanket and asked the nurse at the station to please give it to someone who didn't have any/many visitors, and to please tell them that someone cares and is thinking of them and wishing them well.

And when my sister lost her unborn baby pretty far along in a difficult pregnancy, I don't know HOW in the world she coped. To work through my own heartache over her and our family's loss (or to somehow make it seem productive, if you will), I crocheted little premie blankets and mailed them to the hospital that took care of her. I periodically still send packages in an effort to keep it ongoing. At times I will throw a question out in a forum to identify other high-risk hospitals out there who could benefit from receiving some little blankets.

I don't know if this helps you with your endeavors, but I wish you well! I'm sure you'll find lots of opportunities to help! Good luck! :manyheart

Archived