Alpaca scarf in bright pink

magiccrochetfan

Don't you love it when the yarn just calls out to you, as if it knows what you need to make & it all works out perfectly.

:lol:lol I guess that is what happened! I sure wasn't looking for pink yarn, or for alpaca, but that skein just won my heart. Then, I got a new black coat that will really benefit from the nice bright pink of the scarf. (New coat is a big deal as I have been needing a good wool coat for several years but have a very hard time finding one that fits me. :fluffy)

I got a PM from someone who wanted more info about the stitch pattern. After replying, I decided to also post here in case others would like to see it.

No way am I a pattern writer, and this is really just a simple staggered shell stitch.... but here are the basics of how I did it:

you need to make your initial chain an inch or 2 longer than you want the scarf to be wide. Whatever chains you don't use, you can just unravel at the end. ETA: be sure starting chain is nice and loose.

row 1: make an sc, then skip 2 ch and make a shell (described in my initial post) in the next ch. then skip 2 ch and make an sc in the next ch. skip 2 ch, shell, skip 2 ch, sc....etc across for the width you want, and end with an sc.

row 2: turn, then make a half-shell in the final sc of row 1 by doing ch 3 and 1 dc in that same stitch. then put an sc in the middle dc of the next shell, shell in next sc, etc across to the last sc, where you make a half-shell consisting of 2 dc.

row 3:start w/ ch 1 and sc in top of final dc of row 2, shell in sc and sc in shell across to the end where you make an sc in top of the ch 3.

repeat 2 and 3 for length you choose.

Archived