Is there a guide for shawl width?

macfoo

Question

I am working on a seraphina as a holiday gift for my stepmom. She is "gravitationally challenged" so using my own self as a sizer isn't going to work. I'm 6 ft, she's 5'4".

Wondering how to gauge the overall size of the shawl. I saw a recommended "size" of 25 shells on each side using a certain hook (which I can't remember what it was, but its not a K), but I am working on a K hook and I fear that 25 shells may be to long.

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

Mostly it's a matter of preference. I like my shawls to be long enough to be able to toss one end over my shoulder and have it stay there...also like them long( triangle type) in the point....always past my butt and usually as far as my knees. My seraphinas have additional rows to make them suit me. I'm 5'7".

I envy your mother's height as I am 5 foot 2 - however, my mother thinks I'm a giant because she's 4 foot 9, so I'm not going to complain! That being said - For a triangle shawl for someone my height, I would wear one that went past my behind, but not as far as my knees.

I envy your mother's height as I am 5 foot 2 - however, my mother thinks I'm a giant because she's 4 foot 9, so I'm not going to complain! That being said - For a triangle shawl for someone my height, I would wear one that went past my behind, but not as far as my knees.

I'm 4'11" and I would prefer mine to be halfway between my hips and knees. I'm self conscious with my stomach (:() but not to my knees. That'll just make me look shorter than I am! :lol

After I posted my comment, I realize that I agree with you! :)

I'm 4'11" and I would prefer mine to be halfway between my hips and knees. I'm self conscious with my stomach (:() but not to my knees. That'll just make me look shorter than I am! :lol

My mom used to lie about her height and say she was 4'11 1/2 - she thought that sounded tall!:lol I figure when you lie about your height and you still aren't 5 feet... then I'll let her have her illusions.

i would make it from wrist to wrist measured with the arms

by your side and the length will take care of itself that way.

where did you find that quote in your siggy line? I love it.

Archived