End-of-the-year-Clean-out-your-stash-Scrap Granny Square Afghan-CAL...Phew!

LoopyCrochet

Just checking in to say I that I had to buy another light blue pounder. This scrap granny is munching up yarn so fast. :lol The light blue is my constant color and then I'm using all my blues up in my stash along with the light blue. So far it's looking good. :hook

How's everyone else doing? Let's share and encourage each other. :crocheting

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my progress on my scrap granny. I wasn't sure about the color but have decided to stay with all blues. I'm using two strands of yarn and have a light blue pounder that I am using throughout. The thumbnail doesn't really show the color variance but if you click on the picture it shows the colors better. Anyway at least I've got it going and hope to have enough different blues in my stash to finish it. :)

[ATTACH]10768[/ATTACH]

Love the way you working this one Cindy. Can't wait to see more.

Here is the blanket so far.

[ATTACH]10658[/ATTACH]

Jessica. Love all the verigated yarns your using. This is a great idea.

I have 2 granny squares afghans on the go at the moment. ( Probably more like UFO's than on the go :blush)

I have Sunburst Granny that I started at the beginning of the year. I love it but having trouble with colour cobinations now that I have done so many.

I also have another scrap one on the go. It's mostly just one large granny square. (Forgot the name)

I have 2 granny squares afghans on the go at the moment. ( Probably more like UFO's than on the go :blush)

I have Sunburst Granny that I started at the beginning of the year. I love it but having trouble with colour cobinations now that I have done so many.

I also have another scrap one on the go. It's mostly just one large granny square. (Forgot the name)

Pauline:

I will root you on to working on your grannies -- Break them out and show us what you have.

You can do it!! :cheer Come on and share those UFOs! :cheer

Here is the blanket so far.

[ATTACH]10658[/ATTACH]

Jessica I'm loving how this is turning out.

Here is my progress on my scrap granny. I wasn't sure about the color but have decided to stay with all blues. I'm using two strands of yarn and have a light blue pounder that I am using throughout. The thumbnail doesn't really show the color variance but if you click on the picture it shows the colors better. Anyway at least I've got it going and hope to have enough different blues in my stash to finish it. :)

[ATTACH]10768[/ATTACH]

Very cool Cindy.I'll bet this works up fast.

I've worked on this a bit more. I put a list in my siggy of what I have accomplished.

:cheerWay to go -- see you are making progress and that's wonderful! :yay

Now I better get back to my scrap granny as I haven't even touched it today... :lol

Rolling up some scraps this week and separating by types of yarn. Don't think I can really start my project until after Christmas with all the gifts to finish but I'll try. I've had a large glass vase on my coffee table near where I work and I've been tossing small balls in there. It is kind of fun to see the colors, much like if you'd but christmas tree balls in there on purpose.

Rolling up some scraps this week and separating by types of yarn. Don't think I can really start my project until after Christmas with all the gifts to finish but I'll try. I've had a large glass vase on my coffee table near where I work and I've been tossing small balls in there. It is kind of fun to see the colors, much like if you'd but Christmas tree balls in there on purpose.

Keep at it Darlene and I can't wait to see what you create with your pretty colors of scraps.

I guess everyone is busying crocheting :crocheting and hasn't posted here lately but I just had to share my progress. I'm at 36 inches wide now. I'm not sure how big I will go but this is for my son who is 6'4" so I have a ways to go still... :hook

post-10977-135897468542_thumb.jpg

I guess everyone is busying crocheting :crocheting and hasn't posted here lately but I just had to share my progress. I'm at 36 inches wide now. I'm not sure how big I will go but this is for my son who is 6'4" so I have a ways to go still... :hook

[ATTACH]11131[/ATTACH]

That's coming along very well! I love blue =) :cheer

Mine is on hold until I get my Christmas gifts done, but I'll eventually start on it. Still deciding on the pattern lol.

I remeber seeing a "pattern demo" on U-tube about an afghan done in small segments of color that stair stepped. You added a chain of eight (?) to the right hand edge of your work, dc in in 3rd stitch from hook, dc in next 5 stitches of chain and slip stitch to top of ch3 of previous color, ch 3, double crochet across 5 dc of previous row, slip stitch to top of ch3, etc. (something like that). Thought I had it bookmarked but for the life of me can't find it. Can't rememeber what it was called but that is the one I want to do with my scraps. Wish I could diagram it out. I'll keep looking and post if I can find it. As it got wider if she didn't have enough of one "blue" to finish the row she'd just add on another shade of blue and keep going......off to search some more.

Found it:

There are four or five segments to this but I bookmarked only one of them (where you start to decrease the the number of stair steps to make the work more square). See what you think. I like to do a granny square but remember that this had caught me eye and might offer an alternative if you don't like grannies and still want to use up scraps.

On looking further, here is a link to the written insructions with a better picture:

www.freewebs.com/bethintx/scrappystepsafghan.htmnstructions --- when I click back on link to left it says page not found; but if you watch the video look to the right under her picture and it gives the link to click for the written instructions. I just now bookmarked that in the hopes of finding this when I want it again.

www.freewebs.com/bethintx/scrappystepsafghan.htmnstructions --- when I click back on link to left it says page not found; but if you watch the video look to the right under her picture and it gives the link to click for the written instructions. I just now bookmarked that in the hopes of finding this when I want it again.

The link here works for me now. Try this link and the step scrappy is really unique looking and would be a great way to use up those little yarn scraps you have.

Thanks everyone again for the encouragement on my scrap granny. It really has helped me get motivated to crochet it. :manyheart

Thanks for posting a link that works. I love making grannies but after so many my eyes begin to cross. This idea does intrigue me as an alternative and for much shorter scrapes than I probably wouldn't consider putting in a granny.

Oh Cindy....the colors are beautiful! :yes I haven't been posting too much lately. I've just been so busy! I'm lucky that I only work part-time, but I go to school four nights a week & I volunteer with the USO on Monday mornings. Plus, I am determined to finish my Christmas stocking this year! :blush Yes...I said "this year". I started it a couple of years ago, and kept setting it aside. It's counted cross-stitch, which can be very tedious.

But, I do have a little bag of scraps in my desk drawer at work. A big part of my job is sitting in front of a computer screen monitoring the operation. I can sit & crochet my granny's daughters while I do it. If someone calls me on the radio, they're easy to set down. I may only get a few done a day, but that's a few more than I had done the day before! :crocheting Right? Once Christmas is here, I'll have a week off between Christmas & New Years that I can work on assembling my afghan! :hook

Looks like it's :bump time for this thread as it's gotten buried. Like many other people mentioned, I've been working on other Christmas projects too. But I'm going to go pick up my scrap grannie right now and do a few rounds. :crocheting

I've been trying to get up the gumption to finish a scrap granny I've been working on and then putting off for about 2 years now... :blush I'm just making a bunch of 3-round grannies and I think I'm about halfway done. Maybe with a little nudge I can have this thing finished while it's still cold enough to use it! :hook

Mind if I join in?

Archived