'Mini Phil' Amigurumi Monster

Mandy McK

This Amigurumi Monster pattern was inspired by my son. I used a 1.25mm hook and crochet thread. There are loads of detailed photos here...

Amigurumi Monster Pattern for

‘Mini Phil’

BODY (worked as amigurumi )

Round 1 work a magic ring or chain 2 and use the second chain from the hook to work into. sc 6, (6)

Round 2 increase 2sc into each sc of the round below (12)

Round 3 increase 2sc into each sc of the round below (24 )

Rounds 4 – 9 sc 24

Round 10 (sc 2, then sc 2 together) x6 (18 sc)

Round 11 sc 2 (sc 2, then sc 2 together) x4 (14 sc)

Round 12 stuff the Body at this stage. 1 sc then (sc 2 together to dec.) x6 then 1 ss. Cast-off leaving a 6 inch thread. SEE PHOTO 1.

Sides, top and base of HEAD (worked in rows) make 4

Row 1 9 chain

Row 2 sc in second chain from hook, then sc 7 to end of row (8 sc), 1 chain, TURN.

Rows 3 - 5 sc 8, 1ch, TURN.

Row 6 sc 8, cast off.

Face and back of HEAD (worked in rows) make 2

Row 1 9 chain

Row 2 sc in second chain from hook, then sc 7 to end of row (8 sc) 1 chain, TURN.

Rows 3- 6 sc 8, 1ch, TURN.

Row 7 sc 7, in last sc make 3sc

Row 8 (Down the side of the crochet rectangle) do 3 sc then 3 sc into corner stitch.

Row 9 6 sc along next side of rectangle and 3sc into corner stitch.

Row 10 3 sc along final side of crochet then ss into the corner

Row 11 8 sc along long side of crochet, ss and cast-off.

SEE PHOTO 2.

FEELERS in two colours - the first colour is the tip of the feelers (worked as amigurumi ) make 3

Round 1 work a magic ring or chain 2 and use the second chain from the hook to work into. sc 3. ( 3 sc)

Round 2 increase 2 sc into each sc of round below (6 sc)

Round 3 sc 6. Note that at this stage the crochet naturally wants to curl the wrong way. Make the crochet go the right way (a bit like turning it inside out). You can tell it’s the right way when the loose end is attached to the INSIDE of the work.

SEE PHOTO 3.

Round 4 sc 6

Change colour

Rounds 5 – 8 sc 6 [or what I do is work 30 sc from the colour change]

Cast-off leaving a 6 inch thread.

Stuff just the tip of the feeler by rolling a small ball of stuffing, not much bigger than a pea, in your palms, then using the blunt end of the hook, poke the ball of stuffing to the end of the feeler so the ‘trunk part’ has no stuffing in it. SEE PHOTOS 4 AND 5.

LEGS in two colours, the first colour is the sole of the foot (worked as amigurumi) make 2

Round 1 work a magic ring or chain 2 and use the second chain from the hook to work into. sc 5. ( 5 sc)

Round 2 increase 2 sc into each sc of round below (10 sc)

Round 3 increase 2 sc into each sc of round below (20 sc)

Change colour.

Round 4 sc 20 (20 sc)

At this stage stitch a button to the work, the same size as the sole of the foot. Make sure the stitches are in the same thread as the crochet so they are invisible. SEE PHOTO 6.

Round 5 decrease by working (2 sc together) x10 [this does feel awkward with the button sewn on the work] (10 sc)

Rounds 6 - 8 10 sc [or what I do is count 30 sc ] then cast off leaving a 6 inch thread.

Stuff the legs.

ARMS make 2

Round 1 work a magic ring or chain 2 and use the second chain from the hook to work into. sc 4. ( 4 sc)

Round 2 increase 2 sc into each sc of round below (8 sc)

Round 3 sc 8 cast-off leaving a 6 inch thread.

Stuff the arms.

Finishing-up the HEAD

I like to join the pieces together with crochet rather than sewing them. Start with one of the smaller rectangles and lay it on top of a one of the larger rectangles (the face), WRONG SIDES TOGETHER. Join with crochet SEE PHOTO 7. When you get to the end of the row, take another small rectangle (the side of the head) and WRONG SIDES TOGETHER, crochet the pieces together SEE PHOTO 8. Continue joining the head pieces LEAVING THE BASE OF THE HEAD TILL LAST. I chose to stuff the head with a piece of sponge, cut to fill the head snuggly SEE PHOTOS 9 AND 10. Don’t worry if the small rectangle (which is the base of the head) looks too small SEE PHOTO 11

… IT WILL FIT … just squeeze the sponge slightly as you crochet the parts together. SEE PHOTOS 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Sewing-up

Sew the round body to the underside of the head using the tail thread from the body. Sew the arms to the side of the body using the arm threads. Sew the legs under the body, again using the leg threads. Tidy up any loose threads. I chose to use two buttons, one on top of the other to be the single, central eye of the monster SEE PHOTO 16. If buttons worry you, you could crochet a circle using the sole of the foot as the pattern and sew it to the face, or embroider an eye, or use felt.

You are welcome to sell any monsters you make but I would like you to link to my blog if possible. Please let me see any monsters you make.

Mandy (UK)

• Donna changed the title to 'Mini Phil' Amigurumi Monster

Archived