moggy

Curious - hook sizes you use...

Reading some posts here I am just curious as to what hook size you use and make you use for your different thread sizes?

My crocheting is very tight so I use a size 4 (1.25mm) Tulip hook with size 10 thread and my work still comes out smaller then the suggested finished size in the patterns - I have tried the size 7 and the work is just too small... i am wondering whether to invest in some different brands of hooks when I go to the USA later in the year, see if they're any different? :hook

Hi Moggy,

I use a 1.4mm or 1.5mm with #10 thread with the Boye style head, I have some S.Bates steel hooks too but prefer the Bates style for yarn.

To be honest I don't usually compare finished measurements to the patterns measurements, I don't make the kind of things where it seems to matter so if my doily is 12" and the pattern says it should be 15" well so what? *lol* I just have a nice 12" doily.

As you are visiting the US later this year (lucky you!!) I would certainly treat myself to new hooks to try anyway, just because over there you actually have a choice ;) and they don't take up much space in your suitcase like a ton of yarn would :devil

Being American, I have tons of Boye hooks (which I prefer), and a few Bates. I LOVE Tulip hooks--I think they are great. For size 10 thread, most patterns I have recommend 1.25 to 1.5 mm hooks, so I think you're well within the norm. I often use 1.5 with size ten thread, although a Boye size 9 (1.4mm) is good for me, too. If I want it to be bigger or looser, I use a size 7 (1.65mm).

But hooks are cheap and light--buy some in the US and try them out!

As a threadie, I use the finer, older Bates hooks. I use a 13 for size 30 thread. When I work with even thinner threads, I use Tulips because they have hooks down to 22 and their sizes correspond to Bates sizes. The finished size of my work isn't important, since I make everything in finer threads.

The choice in US hooks is rather small. The current Bates hooks are not as good as the older ones. And I struggle crocheting with Boye. Most of the other hooks are European or Japanese.

I normally use a Size 9 sometimes 10 Boye hook when crocheting with Size 10 thread mostly because I like the look of the stitches better than when I have used a 7 or 8 hook (like with snowflakes). The larger hook leaves the stitches with a "loopy" look.

7, 8 or 10 Boye is what I usually use..depending on the pattern...I like a 7 to experiment with, so I guess it's my favorite

Having been horribly burnt on gauge once, I mess around with the first few rows to find a hook which matches the gauge given. Usually, I'm within the same range as the pattern calls for. I do notice in my Magic Crochet magazines that one particular designer, Glendola Hodges, has an extremely loose tension, because I have to go way up in size to match hers. However I am right on with Mayumi Sato. So my answer is, it depends.

I have come to prefer hooks with a handle and have both ChiaGoo and Clover Soft Touch in my tool cache. Their numbering systems are different from Boye or Bates so the mm makes more sense to go by. At the moment I am working with #20 thread and using a 1.25 Clover.

I use tulip hooks for all of my thread projects. But I did not use thicker than 1.10 mm for threads

1.10mm for size 10,

.90 mm for size 30

.70 mm for size 40

.60mm for size 50

I usually do not make anything finer than size 50 threads

I believe I have .50mm hook too.

Demet

i use a size G/6 alot for most my projects Dunno why It's just the hook i tend to pik up

I try to use my Clover Soft Touch hooks, but if I am using really fine thread than I use Boye. I do not like the Bates hooks. In order to keep my hands from slipping (I sweat a lot here in hot, humid FL) I wrap first aid adhesive tape around the hook to make it comfy and non-slippery =)

I tend to crochet tightly so I usually have to go up a hook size or two from what patterns call for, but I haven't made anything in thread where gauge is really important, so I tend to just use whatever is most comfortable and looks best for what I am trying to do.

for size 10 thread I use a size 7 Boye hook if I am not following a pattern, other than that I always use the hook size that is called for in a pattern.

The thread sizes I work with, other than maybe a 5 if I'm making a wearable, are 10 and 20. Everything else is too tiny for me to see, and if I COULD see it, I doubt my hands would cooperate when it comes to doing work that intricate. For the size 5, a size E or even F works fine unless it's a garment and gauge is important. For doilies and other thread things where the size of the item is not important, I use a size 7 almost exclusively, in fact, I can't think of a thread project that I've done with 10 or 20 where I've used anything BUT my trusty size 7 hook. I have all of the different sizes of steel hooks, but all I really need is my size 7. I wish I had a dozen of them. I only have two of them, and I live in fear of losing them.

Speaking of which - funny story - I was crocheting an angel banner a couple of Christmases ago for a friend, and since my bartender had walked out on us, I had to tend bar in the pub for about a month until I found someone I liked for the position. The nightclub is a LOT more active than the pub, which usually has five or six guests sitting in there having a drink or a beer after work, and since it's not a real pressing environment in there, I was crocheting inbetween serving drinks. Well, someone wanted a beer, and I put my hook down on top of the big beer cooler, never THINKING that I had to open the side of the cooler that I had set the hook down on. I opened the cooler (it's a sliding top) and all I heard was tink, tink, TINK, TINKTINKTINKTINK!!! as my hook fell down into HUNDREDS of bottles of ice cold beer! And at the time, it was the ONLY size 7 I had, and here I was in the middle of a project that I needed for a gift just three weeks away! Well, I swear I thought I was going to lose both my hands to frostbite, and DH just stood and shook his head while he watched me, convinced that I had finally lost my mind, but I emptied the cooler and burrowed down between the shelves and thought the feeling would never come back into my fingers, but I FOUND MY HOOK!! :lol DH kept saying "we'll go to WalMart and get you a few more of the same size!" and I yelled back from the depths of the cooler "No!!! This is an OLD HOOK!! They don't MAKE them like this any more! I don't LIKE the new steel hooks I have!" Poor guy just shook his head and probably wondered what path his life had taken that he ended up with a kook for a wife! :lol

LOL - I would have done exactly the same!! I sometimes wonder whether to buy a few of my favorite hooks just in case - in fact I did the other day.... as I said at the top I use Tulip hooks - mainly the 1.25mm one - I ordered another one the exact same size but it had a different sort of handle on it so the other half didn't twig - otherwise I would have had some smart joke comment about it I'm sure!! 9anyway - how many spanners can one man own??!!)