Bobble Diamonds or Diamonds & Pearls Afghans CAL

loopy1

Hey Norma! Glad you stopped in. Do you have that issue of Crochet World? Read my previous post to see how far I've come. Hope to have a pic before the end of the week.

This is when I love a digital subscription - I printed the pattern out from there. It is really lovely and I love the effect. I'm sure it is a hefty afghan, but it looks so snuggly warm. I'll have to get a color I love; maybe I'll hit a good mill end sale at AC Moore soon. But it's not a project for summer in southeast VA, that's for sure! :lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is when I love a digital subscription - I printed the pattern out from there. It is really lovely and I love the effect. I'm sure it is a hefty afghan, but it looks so snuggly warm. I'll have to get a color I love; maybe I'll hit a good mill end sale at AC Moore soon. But it's not a project for summer in southeast VA, that's for sure! :lol
You are absolutely right! It is a hefty afghan and would be difficult to work on in the heat. But you could set your A/C thermostat to 50 :lol. Gonna put a link to the finished ghan in post #1. Finished but a few loose ends to work in, then to wash it and get it ready to mail to my daughter. :whewI completed an afghan!!! :clap

WTG Jeannie! It's beautiful. Congrats on making the finish line with this one. Now, will you start another??
Well, Norma, intended to make the Diamonds & Pearls that Shaylen is/has making/made??? Shaylen??? In a sing-song voice...I haven't seen a pic yet.

Anyway, I've been sidetracked (does that ever happen to anyone else? :lol).

Knitting the Harry Potter scarf (1st & 2nd year) for 13yo granddaughter in Univ of Michigan colors and 14yo grandson wants the animal crackers hat like Ron wore in Prisoner of Azkaban (an earflap hat).

Don't know what I'm gonna do about that one. The yarn called for is Rowan Big Wool, a super bulky yarn, which is $15/skein. It calls for 5 different colors. How can anyone spend $75 on an earflap hat!

I read somewhere that super bulky and bulky are the same. If so, then why the different designations.

Checked other sites for cheaper yarn but can't find the right colors. However, found a free pattern online using worsted. May try to go that route.

UPDATE:

1st pic shows the reverse sc border. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

2nd pic is kinda dark, but too much light and you can't tell there are bobbles. They come out flat.

This is absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to have to get the pattern and put it on my list of things to do. BTW, you can see the bobbles and texture in the 2nd photo. Beautiful workmanship! :clap

Jeannie...that turned out beautiful...love the way the diamonds stand out!!

I haven't done eny more on mine got wrapped up in other things...I'm thinking of doing it for the Crochet Olympics just to get it done....I have 3 panels done so i think i could do it in 16 days :P maybe!!

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to know where the siggy comes from take a look at this file Yarn Art

I love Willie but he can be a devil sometimes. All my yarn has to be in bags or he is off and running :rofl

:mug:cat:yarn

Similar scenes in my house. Samantha is usually pretty good about not helping, but occasionally she will feel the need to "help mommy". I can usually recover from here help though. Adorable kitty.:manyheart

Afghan is beautiful. Might have to try if I can get enough yarn all the same color. Not much money right now and I feel guilty buying more when I have such a stash. Have to stick to small projects or multicolor things right now. Hope DD appreciates the love and work you put into this.

Similar scenes in my house. Samantha is usually pretty good about not helping, but occasionally she will feel the need to "help mommy". I can usually recover from here help though. Adorable kitty.:manyheart

Afghan is beautiful. Might have to try if I can get enough yarn all the same color. Not much money right now and I feel guilty buying more when I have such a stash. Have to stick to small projects or multicolor things right now. Hope DD appreciates the love and work you put into this.

Cats and yarn are sooooo funny. I was working on a baby sweater many years ago and I kept it in this tall cylinder thing that had a lid with a very small half moon cut-out for the yarn to feed through. I left it standing in the living room one night. Had some kittens about 6 wks old, maybe a little older, and when I woke up the next morning, those little buggers had managed to topple it over, snag a piece of yarn through that cut-out and string yarn around just about everything in the living room...the 4 coffee table legs, legs on the lamp tables. It was so long ago that I can't remember other items in the LR that yarn could go around but if yarn could wrap around it, they used it. It was just too funny. Like my LR had been TP'd with yarn. :lol

I know what you mean about buying more yarn. I have so much but most of it is a single skein of one color and a lot of it is variegated, multi, etc. I need to make squares and turn it all into afghans or lapghans.

And yes, DD does appreciate the work I've done on the afghan. However, I still haven't mailed it to her yet! :blush Still have to wash it and pack it. :sigh I'm just lazy. I have so many quilts/covers/big items that need washing, too.

Anyway, I hope you can make the ghan. It's very solid and sturdy and very warm. That may be one reason I haven't gotten it ready to mail. I love it and don't wanna part with it! :lol

• 4 weeks later...

It looks great, Heather! I really like the forest green...it will be amazing!

I've started on this afghan and love it. I'm doing it in a forest green. I've actually had to set it aside for now to work on a wedding gift, but hope to get back to it soon. Here is my progress to date.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm resurrecting this CAL because I'm making the Bobble Diamonds ghan for my 9 yr old grandson in Spring Green (his color choice). When he saw his mom's, he wanted one too.

Hope some of you can join me. See 1st post for info.

Heather, how's your forest green afghan coming along?

Well, I have to tell you, this is sitting in a bag in my yarn closet.....I haven't picked it back up since i set it aside. I will though......sometime......

It's a beautiful pattern and I look forward to seeing your latest one.

• 4 years later...

Please please I know this is a long shot but can someone out there please give me the instructions for rows 1-3. I love this pattern and can not find the beginning of it. Thank you so much..

Cris

You could do a search for Crochet World magazine, October 2008.  That is the issue the pattern is in.  You may want to note that there have been some corrections to the pattern.  If you go to the Ravelry page of the pattern it will lead you to the corrections.  Hope this helps!

Archived